PDA

View Full Version : is this just something going around? way way way tmi!

jayali
04-11-2010, 09:45 AM
We got home last saturday from a cruise. On Tuesday Matthew complained of a stomach ache and was in the bathroom twice - both times he pooped a lot. I thought he may have just been off because of the vacation.

On Wednesday he complained again of a stomach ache and this time had diarrhea. He stayed home from school. No fever - completely himself. Ate bland and few hours later would again have diarrhea. Thursday and Friday he went to school - but Friday complained of a stomach ache on the way home and had to use the rest room twice - both times loose stool. Yesterday again after eating (bland) loose stool and last night again. The pattern has been early morning (5am) belly ache, followed by diarrhea. Sometimes he complains of a stomach ache and then he will eat something small and bland, feel better, but an hour or so later diarrhea. He has not thrown up and there has been no fever.

His bottom is red with what looks like diaper rash - so we have been using diaper cream which seems to be helping.

Is this something that is going around or should I bring him to the ped? I feel so terrible for him because he is really fine - no change in behavior - just "bad belly". Normally I would just bring him in, but our ped is about an hour away (don't ask) and he really wants to go to school tomorrow - BIG art project. Could it be rotavirus from the boat? Should I keep him home until the diarrhea is gone?

Any thoughts advice welcome.

sunshine873
04-11-2010, 09:48 AM
I haven't BTDT, but my 1st inclination would be to at least call the Dr. Especially since you were just on a cruise and it seems like there have been a lot of problems lately with gastro illnesses on cruises. Maybe even call the cruise line and ask if they've had any others complaining about being sick? I don't know...maybe I'm pushing that too far, but I would at least call the Dr. Poor kiddo...hope he's feeling better soon!

SnuggleBuggles
04-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Tummy things have been going around here too like that. I would call though b/c of the cruise connection. Plus, it''s been going on a while now and just wouldn't hurt to check into it, imo. Hope he feels better!!!!!

Beth

Nu_mama
04-11-2010, 11:42 AM
We had that! Well, only my 2.5 yo DS did, but it lasted almost 2 weeks. No other symptoms besides the loose stools--he would say his belly hurt right before he went, but other than that he was fine. At first I thought that I would let it run its course but after 4-5 days I was getting concerned and looked at Dr. Sears on diarrhea. We ended up feeding the BRAT diet (mostly dry toast, bananas, and yogurt). It cleared up on its own and he is now just fine. Here is a link:http://www.askdrsears.com/html/11/T081500.asp

The BRAT diet is near the bottom.

BabyMine
04-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Norovirus runs rampant on cruise ships.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35786891/ns/health-infectious_diseases/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=onourradartoday

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus.htm

dhano923
04-11-2010, 03:04 PM
I had a similar stomach bug a few days ago -- upset stomach, diarrhea, chills and hot flashes, and ended with dehydration. It lasted a couple days. But since, you're talking about a child, and you just got back from a cruise, I would call the ped just in case.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-11-2010, 03:08 PM
As soon as I read cruise, I thought norovirus.

marge234
04-11-2010, 03:31 PM
An NY Times reporter got norovirus, blogged about it here. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/getting-rid-of-norovirus/?scp=1&sq=norovirus&st=cse

Tondi G
04-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Norovirus usually involves a lot of vomiting and a general feeling of "I think I'm dying". He has a stomach bug... they are very common at this time of year. Just feed him BRAT diet foods and keep him hydrated.

jayali
04-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Thanks for all of your responses. What had me concerned was no puking, fever or chills. I usually equate all of those with a stomach bug.

We took him to the ped this morning. His glands are swollen and they ruled out appendicitus. They think it is just a virus, but if he is not better by wednesday they want to do blood work.

We have kept him out of school because I didn't want to spread it. He seems to be feeling better. As I said no other symptoms he really is himself until tummy hurts and then the diarrhea.

Poor little thing - we have been doing BRAT since Wednesday and all he really wants is a Hotdog - uh, no way.

Thanks again.