PDA

View Full Version : Clueless about dog care--info needed!

daisymommy
04-11-2010, 10:23 AM
We're adding a dog to our family this Summer, and I have no clue about dog care. We always had dogs growing up before I went away to college, but my parents always took care of everything http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/redface.gif I just enjoyed snuggling them.

So, I don't know how often you're supposed to take them to the vet. for check-ups, about food and how much/how often to feed them during the day, flea & tick meds + heartworm meds., licensing laws...and the list goes on.

How do I find out about all of this stuff?

bubbaray
04-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Are you getting a puppy or an older dog?

If you are getting a puppy, are you getting it from a reputable breeder -- if so (highly recommend that route), they will tell you how often and how much to feed the breed (as will a vet). I don't have experience with shelter dogs, but they might do the same.

Once your dog is fully vax'd (usually by 16w for puppies), you can take them to the vet for an annual checkup. Vax schedules depend on your area and the vax given. For example, bordatella (kennel cough) is recommended here at least annually, more often if there is a severe outbreak. Rabies is required here, but depends on the vax given. Some are annual, some last 3yrs. There is also an annual distemper/parvo vax that is given.

We give our dog a flea/heartworm pill monthly. Depending on where you live/travel to, you may not need heartworm. I recommend some sort of flea preventative though.

Dogs are required to be licensed here, the fee is paid annually. There is a discount for neutered/spayed dogs.

We feed our dog 2x/day. Different breeds are very different in their feeding habits. Some breeds, you can put down the day's food and it will last all day. Others, not so much. Some breeds are notorious for "bloat" and you have to abstain from exercising the dog at all for a couple of hours after eating. Talk to your vet about this -- it d/n apply to all breeds. If your breed is prone to bloat, I recommend soaking the dry food for a few minutes before feeding, it helps digestion.

Most vets will recommend using high quality dry food as opposed to canned. Some people like to feed raw, I'm not a fan, but talk to your vet. Ours is highly opposed, especially when there are small children in the house.

In terms of maintenance/hygiene, it depends on the breed. Our lab is very low maintenance. Things you need to know are how often to clip nails, how often to bathe (if at all), brush, brush teeth, clean ears, etc. Your breeder and vet will give you info on this.

HTH

Kymberley
04-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Do you know what breed you are going to get? I'd start there and research, research, research. Expecially if you are getting a puppy. Before we rescued our lab, I joined 2 Labrador forums and asked tons of questions. Much like I do here for my first DC. If you are getting a puppy, you'll have to be sure it's wormed, first series of shots (your vet will tell you the schedule of the next ones). I'd also start looking around for basic training classes. If you are going to crate train your dog (I recommend) I'd have all of that ready before you bring the dog home. I'm leaving a lot out because I just woke up. Sorry! I'm not a dog expert by any means, but I love my 2 like they are my first born. HTH a little.

elephantmeg
04-11-2010, 11:42 AM
It depends on if you get a puppy or a mostly grown dog. Expect lots of vet visits for a puppy (like a newborn!) as you get it vaccinated, wormed, tested etc. After that they go once a year. Beyond that, montly heartworm, occasional baths, twice a day feeding/access to water. Daily exercise, several times a day going out to pee. Obedience training and housebreaking/crate training. The first year is pretty labor intensive IME! We have a shelter dog and love her!

larig
04-11-2010, 01:04 PM
your vet will be great about sending reminders for check-ups, shots, etc. We get a card in the mail every time DDog needs something updated.

One recommendation I would make, is to find someone to take care of your dog when you are out of town ahead of time, whether that's a person who dog sits or a kennel. Whatever you are going to use, get the dog used to that before you HAVE to use it. Our dog had never been to a kennel until he was like 6, and it was a nightmare. He didn't eat the whole time and was terrified--some friends dogs LOVE going to the kennel, because they get to see other dogs and play, but not ours. We always say that if we ever got another dog we'd make sure that we started taking him/her to a kennel every once in a while for short overnight trips, so we wouldn't have to feel so guilty if we had to leave the dog in a kennel. As it is traveling is very hard for us, because we always have to find someone to stay with him. (he's our first baby, so we deal with it, but it sure could be easier).

Congratulations on the planned addition to the family. I've really enjoyed watching the bond develop between our 21 month old DS and our almost 12 year old DDog. They are great friends and DS thinks DDog is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Oh, and I heartily endorse Newman's dry dog food.

JBaxter
04-11-2010, 01:29 PM
There are TONS of dogs and puppies in shelters that need loving homes. Start with a type/size/breed ( or mix) of dog you want and go from there.

PearlsMom
04-11-2010, 04:42 PM
I would just add my experience: having adopted two adult (1 year or older dogs) that had already had some training, I would totally recommend that route! Puppies are the cutest ever, but SO much work.

If you do want a puppy, there are often puppies available in shelters or foster homes. My parents have an amazing mutt whose mother was dropped off at a shelter just before she had her litter. The mother and pups were fostered together until they were ready to be adopted, and he's been such a joy ever since.

And if you are set on a purebred, DO YOUR RESEARCH, please, to find a good breeder. The scammers are getting more and more sophisticated in posing as good breeders, but you are signing up for heartbreak and expense if you get your dog from a puppy mill or inexperienced breeder. One note: a lot of pet stores/puppy mills will give you a dog that's very young. The longer a puppy stays with its mother, the more likely she will have properly socialized the pup in terms of playing nicely and not soiling its bed. It depends on the breed, but I don't think I'd take any puppy under 12wks, and 16 would be better in most cases.

The PP gave you the basics of routine vet/vacc/heartworm/flea care. One additional consideration is how/where the dog will relieve itself. As a rough rule, puppies can hold their bladders a number of hours equal to their age in months plus one (so a 4 month old can go 5 hours between potty breaks), assuming the dog is actually house/crate trained. This can put a real crimp in some families' schedules. My dogs are adults and each about 25 lbs --they can go for 10 hours without an accident, but I try to never leave them longer than 8. When we lived in NYC, we had a dog walker take them out twice a day; now that our commutes are much shorter, my husband and I take turns coming home at lunch to let them out.

FWIW, we also feed twice a day (and leave water out all day). We feed raw, in part because one of our dogs has food allergies.

JoyNChrist
04-11-2010, 05:15 PM
And if you are set on a purebred, DO YOUR RESEARCH, please, to find a good breeder. The scammers are getting more and more sophisticated in posing as good breeders, but you are signing up for heartbreak and expense if you get your dog from a puppy mill or inexperienced breeder. One note: a lot of pet stores/puppy mills will give you a dog that's very young. The longer a puppy stays with its mother, the more likely she will have properly socialized the pup in terms of playing nicely and not soiling its bed. It depends on the breed, but I don't think I'd take any puppy under 12wks, and 16 would be better in most cases.

:yeahthat:

We have a 1-year-old Great Dane (a breed that has been particularly prone to poor breeding practices) and it took a little over a year to find a good breeder, and even then we had to drive 10 hours to meet with them and pick him out, then went back to pick him up when he was ready (he was also 16 weeks old).

For people who are unaccustomed to caring for dogs, I would definitely recommend adopting an adult. Puppies are, honestly, a PITA. They're adorable and funny and fun, but just like babies, they're also a ton of work and they can be really frustrating. My Dane was slow to housebreak (we got him at 16 weeks old and it was at least a month before he was fully housetrained), and even though I knew what to expect it was a really frustrating experience.

Whether you get a puppy or an older dog, I highly recommend enrolling in some type of obedience classes. It's a great way to socialize your pet and train yourself on how to get him to follow commands. And it's a good way to get in some one-on-one time with your dog (not something that's always easy to do when you have a family).

bubbaray
04-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Following up on the housetraining issue, do your research on this too. Not all breeds are easy to housetrain. Labs, for example, are notoriously easy to housetrain (from our research, our breeder and our vet).

We were considering getting a Swiss Mountain dog (a Swissie), similar to a Bernese Mountain Dog, but with short hair. However, *I* have ruled that out with my initial research b/c every.single.breeder states (in bold, no less) on their website that it can take a YEAR to housetrain this breed. Um, yeah. NOT.

Carrots
04-11-2010, 08:08 PM
We're adding a dog to our family this Summer, and I have no clue about dog care. We always had dogs growing up before I went away to college, but my parents always took care of everything http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/redface.gif I just enjoyed snuggling them.

So, I don't know how often you're supposed to take them to the vet. for check-ups, about food and how much/how often to feed them during the day, flea & tick meds + heartworm meds., licensing laws...and the list goes on.

How do I find out about all of this stuff?

Like everyone else said, do research research research.

We got out dog from a pound that was under a vet's office, so we opted to stay with that vet. Any vet's office can tell you all about heartworm, flea & tick meds and what/how much food to feed the dog. Your city hall can tell you about licensing a dog.

There is lots to consider when getting a dog. I used this website to research breeds (we wanted a small young/adult - not a puppy). http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/shihtzu.htm I like how it breaks down the details of the breeds.

Shih Tzus were on the top of our list and I managed to stumble across our guy by mistake! He is black and white just like the one in the picture, but we have him clipped short (grooming every 4 weeks at $42 a visit).

If you are getting a rescue dog, I got some great books from Amazon that were excellent.

http://www.amazon.com/Second-Hand-Dog-First-Rate-Howell-reference/dp/0876057350/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271030755&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Saved-Guide-Success-Your-Shelter/dp/0764100629/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271030852&sr=1-8
This one is discontinued, but it is packed with great info.

Good luck!

daisymommy
04-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Thanks gals. We are probably going to get a rescue dog, over 1 year old. I just cannot add another member of the family that I'm potty training ;) Also, I figure if they are a bit older the person we get the dog from will know their personality and if they have been good with kids.

Not sure what breed yet. Something mid size that doesn't shed horribly, and that is good with kids. I LOVE larger dogs like labs and retrievers but I feel like we lack the space.

I have just started my research, so I'm trying to figure out where to turn next. Thanks for all your help!

egoldber
04-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Is it possible for you to dog sit a dog for a weekend for a friend? To get a real taste of how a dog may fit into your family and lifestyle?

bubbaray
04-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Not sure what breed yet. Something mid size that doesn't shed horribly, and that is good with kids. I LOVE larger dogs like labs and retrievers but I feel like we lack the space.

Not that I'm biased or anything, but I'd go with a breed you love. Labs don't need a lot of room at all. They just need to be with their "person"/people. They were bred to be right.beside their handler when hunting and that is when they are happiest -- when they are RIGHT THERE WITH YOU. Really, my lab is happiest when he is laying right at my feet (or preferably on them, though that's a bit of a dominance thing that I don't tolerate). I could live in a 500 square foot condo and he wouldn't care.

They do need walks, but they need that even if you have a big yard.

ETA -- lets not talk about the shedding. Twice a year when they "blow coat" it SUCKS. But it only lasts for a couple of weeks and then we are back to normal shedding.

JoyNChrist
04-12-2010, 02:27 PM
I was also going to say that size doesn't matter so much as activity level. We have a 160 pound Great Dane in an 1100 sq. ft. house, and he's fine, because Danes are a lower activity breed. A border collie, which is much smaller, needs 5x the activity of my Dane and would probably feel cramped.

Just some info to help you decide. :)