PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping nightmare!

ehlana06
04-11-2010, 11:53 AM
DS is 7 months and has been sleeping through the night since he was about 2 1/2 months. Lately, though, he has been waking up every 2 hours from sleep. This new wakefulness is not just occuring at night time either. He is fighting even going to sleep. He doesn't want to take any naps, even though I know he is exhausted, and at bed time he crys and crys. He normally goes to bed around 7pm. I tried pushing his bedtime back to a later time, but nothing helps, he just does not want to sleep! Last night he woke up at about 11:30pm and DH couldn't get him back to sleep until 2:30am (DH let me sleep). I have no idea how he is barely sleeping and still able to stay up like he does. I know he is teething and that could be some of the problem, but even if I give him baby tylenol to help with the pain he is still fighting sleep. I'm so exhausted and feel like I haven't had any sleep in the last few days. Is there anything I can do to help him sleep??

marge234
04-11-2010, 09:09 PM
I know growth spurts can affect sleep and I think 7 months is on schedule for a sleep regression. When they have a lot going on developmentally sleep can get ugly again.

Has he had a cold lately? Have you ruled out an ear infection? Even if he hasn't had a cold it might be worth a check of the ears.

From what I've read, keeping them up later does not help.

I'm not a sleep expert AT ALL. My LO wasn't a great sleeper. He got better for a very short time around 6 months then at 7 months it got bad again. He started doing better around 8.5 months and now, at almost 10, he's probably up once (sometimes twice) 3 or 4 nights out of 7. There are about 3 nights a week he sleeps for 10 hours straight.

I hope you and your DH get some relief.

PMJ
04-24-2010, 02:08 PM
:yeahthat:

I do agree with PP

1) Check w/ Ped to be sure there are no medical issues first

2) Continue a consistent bedtime routine each night and keep the early sleep time, 7 pm or 7:30 pm.

3) Have you tried reading, "Healty Sleep, Happy Child", by Dr. Weissbluth

4) Be patient - maybe it will get better. :)

Good luck (I feel like I'm kinda in the same boat some nights!)

ehlana06
04-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks Ladies! I think he is growth spurting. His eating habits have picked up a bit as well. I getting used to the sleep deprivation again though. :D