PDA

View Full Version : What is a good color for a boys bedroom?

jess_g
04-11-2010, 06:20 PM
I need some ideas on what colors to paint my 6 yr old sons room.
I will let him have the final say, but want some ideas before I show
him some colors. Also I want to know if a darker or lighter color is best
for a small size room? I think I have heard that painting it one way or
the other will make it look bigger.

Thanks,

Jessica

Tondi G
04-11-2010, 06:51 PM
If the room is smaller then lighter colors will open it up. Our boys have a khaki/tan color on their walls with white trim. It is nice and light/neutral ... works with any color of bedding/window curtains. The color is Gobi Desert from Behr at Home Depot.

I would go with a Khaki, soft blue or sage/spring green for a boys room personally.

hillview
04-11-2010, 07:00 PM
DS1 has bright yellow with Ikea blue dresser and wardrobe.
DS2 has light bright blue

/hillary

KrisM
04-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Ours is Percy Green (Percy from Thomas), as that is what he picked 4 years ago and it's reasonable.

BeachBum
04-11-2010, 07:41 PM
My son's is painted a sort of chambray blue color. It's nice and goes with a lot of different decor. He is still in preschool, so I wanted to keep it a bit brighter. When he is older I'm sure I'll paint it khaki.

Leeannpk
04-11-2010, 09:06 PM
We painted DS's room a spring green color when he was a baby. It's a great color, but when I tried to find bedding for him last month (for his big boy bed) I had an AWFUL time finding boyish bedding with green in it. Baby bedding with green abounds, but more mature bedding was really hard to locate. I wanted to find something with a plaid or stripes (I was avoiding things like trucks, dinos and sports themes because I was hoping for something that would last him a while and not look babyish for a 6 or 7 year old) and everything I liked was either blue or brown based. Most stuff with green also had pink in it. Throughout the process of shopping I kept wishing that his room was blue or beige! So my vote is to 1st locate some bedding options that you love and THEN choose a paint color to coordinate.

I ended up with a $15 duvet cover from Ikea with cars on it. Not exactly what I had in mind, but at least I can replace it in a year - after we paint his room!

jgenie
04-11-2010, 09:07 PM
DS' room is painted a wedgewood blue with white trim.

Momof3Labs
04-11-2010, 09:26 PM
DS1 and DS2's room is painted a darker khaki with one green wall - not a bright green, but more of a sagey green.

ourbabygirl
04-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Don't have a boy here, but my godson's room (last I saw it) was painted khaki with either oak or white wood trim, and navy blue and red accents. Really cute and classy- you could do a nautical theme, teddy bear theme, or sports theme, etc. I think my cousin used quilts in red, navy, white, and khaki colors on the fabric.

Jo..
04-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Yellow green blue red neutral. Anything except for pink or lilac. Steer away from pastels and toward brights or neutrals and you should be good. Lighter colors make rooms look bigger.

WatchingThemGrow
04-11-2010, 09:54 PM
I think it's best to pick a quilt/comforter/whatever first, THEN pick some paint options that will work with your bedding/run/lamp/whatever. Our DSs have a medium blue from SW that matches their ocean scene room, and everything else are non-blue solids pulled from rug colors also. So cute.

smilequeen
04-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Ours both have an oatmeal color on the top 2/3 and a chocolate brown on the bottom 1/3. There is a stripe separating them. DS1 has a navy blue stripe and DS2 has a chambray blue stripe. I think lighter is better for a smaller room.

dhano923
04-12-2010, 03:06 AM
We moved into our house last August, and my at the time almost 6yo wanted to paint his room orange (his favorite color). I compromised by doing his room a nice khaki color, but the wall behind his bed is a nice deep orange color. It looks great -- everyone always compliments it, and it's a color combo that will suit him as he gets older too. Right now we have a navy/orange space theme (based around the space bedding from Land of Nod) but the khaki/orange could me used in a variety of themes later on.

DrSally
04-12-2010, 01:42 PM
We moved into our house last August, and my at the time almost 6yo wanted to paint his room orange (his favorite color). I compromised by doing his room a nice khaki color, but the wall behind his bed is a nice deep orange color. It looks great -- everyone always compliments it, and it's a color combo that will suit him as he gets older too. Right now we have a navy/orange space theme (based around the space bedding from Land of Nod) but the khaki/orange could me used in a variety of themes later on.

Can I ask what the name of your orange is (and your navy)? I've been thinking of doing a blue/orange combo...

dhano923
04-12-2010, 11:30 PM
Can I ask what the name of your orange is (and your navy)? I've been thinking of doing a blue/orange combo...

The khaki is Olympic's Pony Tail. It's a nice rich khaki -- looks great. I think the orange was Orange Poppy. We have a gray-green flecked carpet upstairs, and the 2 windows in his room have natural grass rolling shades, so the orange doesn't stand out drastically. I attached a picture so you can see what it looks like with the space quilt. (the orange looks a bit bright in the pic because of the ceiling fan lights being on -- I took this pic at night)

DrSally
04-13-2010, 09:46 PM
The khaki is Olympic's Pony Tail. It's a nice rich khaki -- looks great. I think the orange was Orange Poppy. We have a gray-green flecked carpet upstairs, and the 2 windows in his room have natural grass rolling shades, so the orange doesn't stand out drastically. I attached a picture so you can see what it looks like with the space quilt. (the orange looks a bit bright in the pic because of the ceiling fan lights being on -- I took this pic at night)

Nice!! I totally love the orange with the comforter. I like how deep the orange is, and not too bright. Thanks for the picture!

kransden
04-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Ours both have an oatmeal color on the top 2/3 and a chocolate brown on the bottom 1/3. There is a stripe separating them. DS1 has a navy blue stripe and DS2 has a chambray blue stripe. I think lighter is better for a smaller room.

This is a great idea. It really helps hide stains on the part of the wall they touch.