PDA

View Full Version : How much do you spend on shower hostess gift?

citymama
04-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Need some quick feedback on what's appropriate for a shower hostess gift (this is actually a sprinkle). I'm getting her a gift certificate at a local day spa. What's the right amount versus too little or too much?

The shower will include heavy snacks/beer/wine for about 20 people. A couple of friends and I are bringing wine and some food items, but I would say the hostess intends to provide about half of the food/bev fare. And while many of us will help clean up, it's still her place and she will no doubt do the lion's share of set-up and a lot of clean-up. Per my request, no games, decorations or other showery expenses. TIA for your feedback!

SnuggleBuggles
04-11-2010, 10:07 PM
I feel terrible but I wouldn't really get a hostess gift. I probably should. I think that then you are in a weird cycle of they were trying to do something nice for you then you do something nice for them then it just keeps going. :) I could see giving flowers or something like that though but I would probably spend $25 or less.

Beth

JoyNChrist
04-11-2010, 10:37 PM
I feel terrible but I wouldn't really get a hostess gift. I probably should. I think that then you are in a weird cycle of they were trying to do something nice for you then you do something nice for them then it just keeps going. :) I could see giving flowers or something like that though but I would probably spend $25 or less.

:yeahthat:

We don't really do hostess gifts in my social circle, other than a nice thank you note and maybe flowers.

citymama
04-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Will definitely do flowers and thank you note. I thought it would be nice to acknowledge her kindness and hospitality with something that would be more of a splurge for her - a day spa g.c. I was thinking $50, to keep it simple and not too over-the-top, but I wasn't sure what is typical. This is a cousin of mine, so we're always doing things for each other, but I do feel like she's been there for me a lot lately on kiddie stuff (offering to watch DD in the past and when the baby arrives).

AnnieW625
04-12-2010, 12:19 PM
I voted for $50 and I think that a spa gift card would be nice.