PDA

View Full Version : Costco: grain-free dog food

twowhat?
04-11-2010, 10:19 PM
At our Costco: I forgot the brand, but it's salmon and sweet potato (with salmon meal being the first ingredient). Only $0.80 PER POUND!!! Even cheaper than the premium lamb & rice food that I buy for our dogs.

Hope this helps out someone who has dogs allergic to grains or simply wants to feed a grain-free diet.

natness
04-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Thank you, I'm going to check this out. Our grain-free dogfood costs a small fortune!

doberbrat
04-12-2010, 08:10 AM
wow thats a GREAT price. thanks OP

twowhat?
04-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Here's the info for it:

Nature's Domain Salmon Meal and Sweet Potatoes ingredients are:
Salmon meal, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, potato protein, potato fiber, natural flavor, flaxseed, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dries chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, rasberries, yucca schidgera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus, dried Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, Vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (Vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

infomama
04-12-2010, 09:44 AM
I can't find this on dogfoodanaylsis.com..maybe it's too new? I have heard it's a generic form of Taste of the Wild which is a very good food. Happen to be going to the vet today so I'll run it by him and let you all know what he says (FWIW we currently feed very high quality foods that are $$$, Blue Buffalo and Wellness...I would love to find something just as good but less $$$).

twowhat?
04-12-2010, 09:46 AM
I think it's too new. I'm not sure who makes the food, but the ingredients look GREAT. I've also pored over dogfoodanalysis.com when choosing a food for our dogs. But this looks like a great food to rotate just so my dogs don't get bored. We also feed high-quality foods but more on a budget - Canidae (and I've also fed Wellness - when it's on sale!)

mom2mack&max
04-12-2010, 10:58 AM
At our Costco: I forgot the brand, but it's salmon and sweet potato (with salmon meal being the first ingredient). Only $0.80 PER POUND!!! Even cheaper than the premium lamb & rice food that I buy for our dogs.

Hope this helps out someone who has dogs allergic to grains or simply wants to feed a grain-free diet.

We just switched to the premium lamb & rice & vegetable from Costco. Is it an ok food for dogs - I could not find it on dogfoodanalysis?) Never heard of this site- thanks for the info.

twowhat?
04-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Kirklands lamb & rice is a great food for the price. I'm considering switching too to save $$

MommyofAmaya
04-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Hopefully our Costco has this. Our dogs are currently on TOTW (Prarie). We tried the regular Kirkland food (chicken & rice) a couple of years ago, to terribly gaseous results. I hope it is an easy transistion this time.

JamiMac
04-12-2010, 12:50 PM
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
Thank you!!! I just spent a small fortune on Blue Buffalo for my highly allergic Westie to see if I can help his itching. I'm going to try this next. The BB says it's grain, soy, dairy and egg free. I didn't see any of those ingredients in what you listed. That's hopeful!

infomama
04-12-2010, 12:54 PM
My vet gave this food the thumbs up..hope my Costco has it.

catroddick
04-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Hmmm- I'm peaked. But my girl dog reacted very badly to Wellness when they added tomatoes. We're on Canidae and would love to try something more affordable. I'll be interested in feedback...

twowhat?
04-12-2010, 06:02 PM
I'm going to pick this up next time I'm there...the price is too good to pass up. My dogs generally don't have problems with what we feed, and each dog is different but I will update with how my dogs like it. It isn't listed as a special warehouse item so hopefully it isn't regional and is there to stay.

updacountry
06-29-2010, 08:56 AM
I can't find this at Costco. I've asked them and they have no idea what I'm talking about. Just wondering if everyone else is finding it and if they like it. We currently use the Kirkland brand which was once top rated but I've seen it has fallen down the list.

jammytoast
06-29-2010, 10:07 AM
I googled this a few weeks ago and found out that its only being tested in a few markets. Also, its manufactured by Diamond, who's King of Pet Food Recalls. Additionally, the protein levels meant that you'd be feeding them more than you would Wellness or Blue Buffalo.

While the price is amazing, think I"ll be sticking with Wellness.

infomama
06-29-2010, 10:12 AM
I took this food to our vet and he said it is an excellent food. Our boxers have been on it for a few months and are doing great. We switched from blue.

twowhat?
06-29-2010, 10:22 AM
I took this food to our vet and he said it is an excellent food. Our boxers have been on it for a few months and are doing great. We switched from blue.

My dogs do great on it too, but now I'm worried about the ethoxyquin issue (which isn't unique to this brand)...I might switch to a non-fish food just because of that...but for dogs with allergies this could be a great choice.