PDA

View Full Version : Outfit for 1990's party

toby
04-12-2010, 11:28 AM
I am going to a party this weekend and we are supposed to dress like we did in 1990 (I was 20 yrs then). For all I know, I still dress the same! :) I am a little confused by what I am finding on the internet.

I would love some suggestions- the simpler the better (maybe involving jeans...)
Thanks!

Maggie'sMom
04-12-2010, 11:30 AM
You could do the whole Seattle Grunge look with jeans and plaid maybe.

♥ms.pacman♥
04-12-2010, 11:31 AM
ooh, how fun! i love 80s/90s theme parties!

the first thing that comes to mind is hair...big bangs, lots of Aquanet. hair scrunchies.

in terms of clothing..overalls were in then. so were mc hammer pants (or was that late 80s? cant remember)

eta: fanny packs were big then. so were those necklaces that had soap/water in them that u could blow bubbles with. not sure where you'd find those anymore though.

maylips
04-12-2010, 11:36 AM
High waisted Guess jeans. I graduated HS in 1991 and when I think back on my wardrobe, for some reason my shirts were HUGE for me. I have no idea why I did that and would kill for the body I had back then, but apparently I hid everything under large shirts when x-small really fit.

♥ms.pacman♥
04-12-2010, 11:41 AM
^ oh yeah, how could i forget, Guess jeans! especially high waisted, and tight-fitted everywhere else. in early 90s i was in middle school and i remember getting teased cuz i wasn't wearing those high-waisted Guess jeans like all the "popular" girls..i begged my mom to buy me a pair but she thought $50 for jeans was ridiculous. lol

and now that u mention big t-shirts, another thing i remembered that was big in the 90s..leggings and stirrup pants, with oversize t-shirts. i was reading a pregnancy book and it recommended buying stirrup maternity pants as a "staple" for the wardrobe and i was like wha ???? and i checked the publication date and it was published in 1995! no wonder! hehe

marge234
04-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Cut off jeans, black tights, doctor martens. White t-shirt, black bra and an open flannel.

fortato
04-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Pegged jeans, slouch socks, hypercolor/Vuarnet/CoEd Naked/B.U.M. Equipment shirt....

wellyes
04-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Cut off jeans, black tights, doctor martens. White t-shirt, black bra and an open flannel.

PERFECT. Dark lipstick too.

larig
04-12-2010, 01:46 PM
:yeahthat:

ETA: what about an anarchy cheerleader from the Nirvana video?

Piglet
04-12-2010, 01:54 PM

This was my go-to in highschool and I graduated in 1995. I loved my plaid shirts! So comfy, LOL.

Nooknookmom
04-12-2010, 02:03 PM
There was an actual *style* in the 1990's? lol.

Babydoll dresses or grunge come to mind. Sorry you have to go through this ;)

Fairy
04-12-2010, 02:11 PM

This is the quintessential '90's look. Or go watch Singles. But I'd stick with grunge.

I can't believe we're old enough where the 90's is a theme party, now. I feel like we were just there, really.

toby
04-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Thanks for all of the recommendations- they are very helpful.

I have an old flannel (that looks ridiculously huge!) and jeans that now have a hole in the knee thanks to a fall that I took today (I won't tell you how that happened!) I am happy to report that I do not have any high waisted Guess Jeans!

What was with the black bra and white shirt? Why oh why?

I may be in the minority, but I would much rather be going to a "Happy to be 40" party and not a "20 again" keg bash. Guess that I am a party pooper...

For shoes, I don't have Keds or Doc Martens. How about white canvas Nikes or some brown suede sneaker-like shoe (looks pretty masculine)?

kdeunc
04-12-2010, 04:47 PM
I can't believe we're old enough where the 90's is a theme party, now. I feel like we were just there, really.

AshleyAnn
04-12-2010, 05:01 PM

This style is coming back but the bras are brighter colors! Hot pink bra under a black t-shirt is very trendy around me (at least my age bracket, but I'm 8 to 10 yrs younger than most who post here!)

As for the guess jeans I'm sure your local goodwill has an entire aisle of bad jeans from that era. When ever I think 90's I think DJ Tanner in a GIANT sweatshirt/sweater and leggings or tight jeans in the early and overalls and weird hats in the late 90's or the early episodes of friends which also featured overalls and lots of high waisted pants with short tops.

Fairy
04-12-2010, 05:31 PM

I like this :bag

You should be able to buy real keds for like $20, or knockoff cheap things at payless or target for $10, I'd think? Remember NOT to lace them!

Seriously, go watch Singles --> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105415/. You want what the 90's looked like? That's the one.

toby
04-12-2010, 05:32 PM
I just found a long linen blazer in my closet. Could I wear this?

I can't wear a short skirt because I skinned my knee playing soccer (which was different from the knee that I fell on today!)

Fairy
04-12-2010, 05:34 PM
I feel like long blazers are more 80's ala Molly Ringwald Pretty in Pink. But it's a possibility. I like the white shirt/black bra better. Comfy Gen X slacker jeans are better for the look, I think, than a skirt, anyway.

liamsmom
04-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Babydoll dresses or grunge come to mind. Sorry you have to go through this

:yeahthat: The babydoll dress with a little backpack purse would be my recommedation.

If you don't want to go grungy, I'd recommend watching a repeat of Beverly Hills 90210 to inspire some preppy 90s wardrobe. Is DH going? Does he have time to grow out sideburns? :rotflmao:

JoyNChrist
04-12-2010, 05:52 PM
This style is coming back but the bras are brighter colors! Hot pink bra under a black t-shirt is very trendy around me (at least my age bracket, but I'm 8 to 10 yrs younger than most who post here!)

A lot of my single friends seem to be doing this too...or coordinating the color of their bra straps to match their tank tops. And no, my friends aren't teenagers, lol.

I wasn't gonna say anything, but I was four in 1990, so I'd wear a little dress and pink leggings and pigtails to the party. :ROTFLMAO:

marge234
04-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy

No kidding.

Fairy
04-12-2010, 08:40 PM
I wasn't gonna say anything, but I was four in 1990 ...

And that's why you are a very, very wrong man.

nrp
04-12-2010, 08:53 PM
:yeahthat: The babydoll dress with a little backpack purse would be my recommedation.

Or one of those tiny little purse backpacks - if you can find one.

JoyNChrist
04-12-2010, 09:08 PM
And that's why you are a very, very wrong man.

Hehe, sorry! ;)

TwinFoxes
04-12-2010, 10:12 PM
I wasn't gonna say anything, but I was four in 1990, so I'd wear a little dress and pink leggings and pigtails to the party. :ROTFLMAO:

You, my friend, are banned from this thread! ;)

I rocked the cutoffs, tights, and Doc Marten's look HARD! Remember bodysuits being back in style? I was hot! :rolleyes:

infomama
04-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Or one of those tiny little purse backpacks - if you can find one.
You can find one in my closet. I just can't throw it away. I know...I know.

Mommy_Again
04-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Blazers were 90s, too, I think - with a tight bodysuit underneath and jeans, and you'll be good.

Jean shorts and baggy men's Hanes v-neck t-shirts were my staple. Baby doll dresses (sooo unflattering).

Ugh, 90s style was just a lack of style, in my opinion. At least the 80s owned its tackiness. Maybe the 80s sucked all the bad fasion up and we just had to take a decade off.

larig
04-13-2010, 12:16 AM
You, my friend, are banned from this thread! ;)

I rocked the cutoffs, tights, and Doc Marten's look HARD! Remember bodysuits being back in style? I was hot! :rolleyes:

I wore a lot of hats.

new_mommy25
04-13-2010, 01:29 AM
My favorite outfit was a plaid skirt with black sweater that had a faux white collar and cuffs underneath. With Doc Martens. And black knee highs. And one of those black beret type caps. Otherwise just wear jeans and an oversized tee with a flannel tied around your waist.

elektra
04-13-2010, 01:48 AM
Ugh, 90s style was just a lack of style, in my opinion. At least the 80s owned its tackiness. Maybe the 80s sucked all the bad fasion up and we just had to take a decade off.

So true!

And a big YES to the bodysuits! I had forgotten about those stupid things. My freshman college roomate had a ton of them and I remember borrowing some. They were like frickin' onesies with the snaps on the bottom! LOL!
I would wear a vest over it with the jeans of course, and then a sort of choker necklace type thing.

And the tanktops were so short. I really don't miss those AT ALL. For the party I would cut off a loose tank top and get the flannel to wear over. Pair it with some cut off jeans and there you go.

Nooknookmom
04-13-2010, 03:06 AM

If you don't want to go grungy, I'd recommend watching a repeat of Beverly Hills 90210 to inspire some preppy 90s wardrobe. Is DH going? Does he have time to grow out sideburns? :rotflmao:

Aw, I forgot the mini-backpak and the Doc Martin mary-janes.

Ok so I did wear Doc's (various colors) but it was a leftover necessity from my late 80's mosh days!

Momit
04-13-2010, 04:13 AM
If you do a blazer, don't forget the shoulder pads! And ditto the 90210 reruns for some inspiration.

wendibird22
04-13-2010, 09:14 AM
I was in college in the 90's (shame on you Joynchrist for being so gosh darn young!) and lived in jeans and flannels. DH sees what the college girls I work with wear and claims his generation got the shaft. I can remember borrowing flannels from friends to have something "new" to go out to the bar in. Yikes!

Fairy
04-13-2010, 10:42 AM
If you do a blazer, don't forget the shoulder pads! And ditto the 90210 reruns for some inspiration.

Are you sure? I think shoulder pads were 80's. Were they 90's too?

toby
04-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Are you sure? I think shoulder pads were 80's. Were they 90's too?

I think that they were still "in" in the early 90's and then faded soon after.

Since I won't be able to watch 90210 (!), any specific suggestions for a more preppy look?

Ceepa
04-13-2010, 11:02 AM

Since I won't be able to watch 90210 (!), any specific suggestions for a more preppy look?

Wear a long slip dress with a fitted t-shirt underneath. Chunky shoes or Keds. Matte lipstick in a deep red. Can you curl/tease your hair into a pseudo shag?

Fairy
04-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Wear a long slip dress with a fitted t-shirt underneath.

Wait, is this "out" now? I still wear a long black dress that's maxi length with a tshhirt under it. Should I stop now? I'm usually very good at current trends and fashion, so if this is now considered passe, then I've dropped the ball on that one!

Ceepa
04-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Wait, is this "out" now? I still wear a long black dress that's maxi length with a tshhirt under it. Should I stop now? I'm usually very good at current trends and fashion, so if this is now considered passe, then I've dropped the ball on that one!

No. You're fine. It's a bit of resurgence with the maxi, but in the 90s it was the very straight long sheath over a fitted tee with short sleeves. The maxis now are a little looser in form (and I love love them).

You keep rockin' it.

Piglet
04-13-2010, 11:18 AM

Just google image it:

http://fashiongeekscloset.blogspot.com/2009/07/old-fashioned.html

Fairy
04-13-2010, 11:20 AM
No. You're fine. It's a bit of resurgence with the maxi, but in the 90s it was the very straight long sheath over a fitted tee with short sleeves. The maxis now are a little looser in form (and I love love them).

You keep rockin' it.

*Whew!* :boogie:

TwinFoxes
04-13-2010, 12:05 PM
And a big YES to the bodysuits! I had forgotten about those stupid things. My freshman college roomate had a ton of them and I remember borrowing some. They were like frickin' onesies with the snaps on the bottom! LOL!
I would wear a vest over it with the jeans of course, and then a sort of choker necklace type thing

I totally forgot about the all-important choker! I had so many. Not the vests though, except for one tight leather one :bag (in my defense, I did have a nice body back then!)

DH sees what the college girls I work with wear and claims his generation got the shaft.

I think your DH is right. ;)

AshleyAnn
04-13-2010, 11:52 PM
A lot of my single friends seem to be doing this too...or coordinating the color of their bra straps to match their tank tops. And no, my friends aren't teenagers, lol.

DITTO!

I work out in a thin white tank with a baby pink bra under it. And if my girls take me clubbing to celebrate my birthday this weekend I plan to try out wearing a bright bra with a black shirt. Its a bit much for our usual bar but I think for clubbing its the perfect.

kijip
04-14-2010, 12:09 AM
I just think Blossom when I think of the 1990s "style".

http://www.khurak.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/mayim-bialik3-184x300.jpg

I was in Seattle and pretty much lived in Doc Martens or fake birks with a mix of layers.

Remember over the knee socks with the sloppy short babydoll dresses? That was me the first day of high school. :hysterical:

boogiemomz
04-14-2010, 07:57 AM
I just think Blossom when I think of the 1990s "style".

http://www.khurak.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/mayim-bialik3-184x300.jpg

I was in Seattle and pretty much lived in Doc Martens or fake birks with a mix of layers.

Remember over the knee socks with the sloppy short babydoll dresses? That was me the first day of high school. :hysterical:

OMG blossom!!! yes!! definitely the big, oversized short floral print dresses over leggings and docs... maybe with a "funky" hat... very blossom.

what about banana clips and high top sneakers? was that 80s? and the half boots that looked like witch shoes? i'm thinking early 90s at the latest...