PDA

View Full Version : Have you done an IKEA kitchen?

GGrn
04-12-2010, 02:45 PM
If people don't mind sharing how much it cost, how large your kitchen is, how much of the work you did yourself?

DH and I are willing to assemble the cabinets ourselves and he may/may not install them. We would leave the plumbing and wiring where they are now and reuse our appliances.

We would need a new floor put in also the countertop and backsplash. We would do the painting.

Thanks. There is so much to do to update our house and we figured this was the room that needs it the most!

niccig
04-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Post over at ikeafans.com It's just about ikea products, and their kitchen section is VERY helpful - from designers to people that did they one ikea kitchen.

lowrioh
04-12-2010, 03:10 PM
We did an IKEA kitchen in our old house and the total cost was $5K. We did ALL the work ourselves and left the electric and plumbing in place. We got new mid-range appliances. The kitchen was small (8x8) and this was ~5 years ago so prices would have gone up again.
I highly recommend ikeafans.com. They are the best resource on Ikea kitchens.
Good Luck!

Andi98989
04-12-2010, 03:13 PM
DH and I are putting cabinets in our basement for a mini-kitchen. I got better pricing on the look I wanted at Lowes than I did at Ikea. I didn't think the pricing was that great on the Ikea cabinets.

crl
04-12-2010, 04:18 PM
We did and I loved it. I believe the quality of Ikea cabinets is really great for the price. And it was definitely cheaper than anything I priced at Lowes or Home Depot.

I honestly don't remember exact what we paid. I'm pretty sure it was under $5000 for cabinets, fireclay farmhouse sink and butcherblock countertop. You can download the kitchen planner software and design your kitchen and it will give you the exact total for what you've designed.

And I second the ikeafans forums suggestion. They were super helpful to me in designing our kitchen.

Catherine

JoyNChrist
04-12-2010, 04:19 PM
I haven't personally done one, but one of the houses we were looking at buying had an Ikea kitchen and it was so nice! The owner had nothing but good things to say about the process. Even though we didn't end up buying that house, I still kind of wish we had that kitchen. ;)

GGrn
04-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the replies! I have checked out the ikeafans site before. I will have to join so I can view the kichen pictures. Have a flooring guy coming out next week so thats a start!