PDA

View Full Version : What do your kids do at recess?

egoldber
04-12-2010, 03:22 PM
We realized over the weekend that my older DD plays none of the games that we did at recess. At my elementary (in the dark ages ;) ) we had no grass and no play equipment. We had a VERY large blacktop play area, with 3 kickball fields, running lanes for races, 3 or so four square blocks, several hopscotches and lots of jumping ropes. I played 4 square, kickball (less so in older grades vs younger because it became more of a "boy game"), jump rope of hopscotch every day.

Our ES doesn't have any of these games. They have a large play structure, swings and a mulched area. There is a large soccer field, but they don't really use it for recess. (All the playgrounds in our district are very similar, so it isn't just our school.)

My 8 year old had never heard of 4 square! We taught her and the neighbor girl how to play 4 square and kickball this weekend and they loved it! We drew hopscotch and showed them how to really play. They had no idea that there were "rules" and a way to play vs just jumping from number to number. They had never jumped rope, although older DD told me that some older girls did play jump rope at her school.

So I was really curious about this. Is our district odd in this regard? I was so surprised to see the large play structures at the schools when we first moved her because none of the schools where I grew up had these and I really never missed them.

KrisM
04-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Our school has both a black top area and a playground with various structures on it. I know that some of the noon aides lead kick-ball games, because I've seen them doing it. DS uses hula hoops, but not much else yet. I'm not sure what the older classes do.

Moneypenny
04-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Well, my childhood mirrors yours. In fact, the 4-square courts and balls were such a hot commodity, that I had a distinct advantage because my desk was always nearest the door and the ball box. I had to be primed to race to the ball box when the recess bell rang or I wouldn't be able to claim the best ball, lol!

At DD's school they have to stay on the play structure/mulch area or the blacktop. There is a huge soccer field, but I don't think the kids are allowed on it during recess and I also don't think they can bring things outside with them. DD reports that she either plays princess with the other kindy girls or chases the 3rd grade boys around (don't ask me why she's chasing the 3rd grade boys, because I don't know!).

pinkmomagain
04-12-2010, 05:46 PM
My elementary-aged dd's school has playstructures, blacktop and grassy fields. I think some of the lunch aides organize some type of game, but it really is free time. Of course my 10 yo is the type to be picking dandelions and talking with a few friends....

SnuggleBuggles
04-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Black top is where our kids play. They have jump ropes, hula hoops, balls. Like Gina it is mostly free play but I have seen them organize games of kick ball before and I know that some have been taught 4 Square and some other classics. They are constantly on the look out for good games and equipment. Eventually a play structure will be built.

Beth

maestramommy
04-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Maybe play structures are the norm now if the district can afford them. One of the ES in my district just purchased a brand new structure after a couple of years of fundraising. At another ES I saw a huge extended structure, swing sets, and a grassy area, but I also saw a basketball court. I didn't see any tether ball or foursquare/hopscotch though. I also grew up playing those games. In junior high double dutch suddenly became all the rage, and we spent our entire recess doing that.

Don't know how it is in your area, but in our town, all of the school playgrounds are open to the public when school is out.

Dcclerk
04-12-2010, 06:31 PM
My childhood recesses were much like your's, and my son's is the boy equivalent. I played foursqure, handball, and jumprope. My guy doesn't play any of those, but he does play soccer (on the grass field), kickball (on the blacktop), and/or basketball (blacktop) every day. I haven't heard that he plays dodgeball yet (another popular one of my youth), but other than that, it seems like it is exactly the same. Just like my youth, there are some nice play structures where a bunch of girls play, and some of the less team-oriented boys go.

While I am not a big proponent of a lot that is done in his classroom, I do think they do recess right... lots of unstructured play, but someone there to coach, encourage, and organize a game when they want it. (The teachers, especially the fantastic PE teacher, is almost always there to set something up, mediate squabbles if required, etc.)

Leeannpk
04-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Four Square is HUGE at DDs' elementary school! So much so that they have a yearly tournament for the 4th and 5th graders :)!

Lots of kids jump rope and draw with chalk, and they also have a traditional playground with a play structure, swings, etc., and a large open field for running around.

ETA - They also have "Mileage Club" for kids interested in running laps at recess. They earn a token to attach to their sneakers after they run 5 miles. My DD1 was so proud to earn her first token!

belovedgandp
04-12-2010, 06:43 PM
DS1 is in K. They have a blacktop area with basketball hoops, four square and hopscotch painted. There is also a large grassy area they play soccer or other made up games and a play structure area with slides and swings.

They have all the K classes out at once and no other grades. Four days a week they are in the larger area, so the only supplies that come out are balls. The fifth day they couldn't get the schedules synched to only have the K classes out in that area, so only his class is on a smaller blacktop area. When they are there, the hula hoops, balls, jump ropes, and side walk chalk come out too. Of course, he usually just ends up running or rolling down the grassy hill that's there too.

I know the kids pick up their own traditional games most of the time. Lately it has been tag at recess for my son. Our neighborhood kids are big into four square right now. At different times kick ball, tag, hide-n-seek, monkey in the middle, etc have been favorites.

ETA - I forgot about red light green light - I had a dozen kids in the backyard playing that last week. It's hilarious to watch.

g-mama
04-12-2010, 06:56 PM
I am not completely sure what my 3rd grade ds does at recess. He says that he mostly just walks around and talks to his friends. They do role playing of Pokemon characters and other imaginary play type stuff.

He says many of the boys shoot hoops and others play soccer. I've also heard him talking about the boys and girls chasing each other.

I'd be concerned that my ds doesn't do more physical things except that he plays travel soccer and practices 4 hours a week and plays a game each weekend, so I know he's getting lots of exercise. Plus, he rides his bike and roller blades at home.

s7714
04-12-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm the reverse of you actually. The three different elementary schools I went too all had play equipment like swings, monkey bars, etc. I never learned how to play hopscotch, 4-square or those types of games! They did however have large grass fields and at one school a grove of trees to play in.

At my DDs school they teach them to play games like hopscotch and 4 square in P.E. They do have play equipment as well as a large grass field and blacktop area. I'd say about half the kids (mainly boys) play on the blacktop with balls while the other half play on the equipment or on the grass. My DD and her friends are fond of walking around the grassy area to collect bugs. :) ETA: My DD is in 1st grade.

happymom
04-12-2010, 07:21 PM
I have never heard of 4 square :bag.

hillview
04-12-2010, 07:25 PM
DS1 is 4.5 and in preschool. I just asked him, he says plays "tag you're it" or "superheros" which are chasing games and he "just loves them" teachers do not play.

/hillary

fortato
04-12-2010, 08:01 PM
I think a big part of it is that we schedule so many activities for our kids, that they don't know how to play these games.

When was the last time your kids were outside with out bikes, scooters, PowerWheels, swingsets, forts...etc? Just a ball, some chalk and a patch of asphalt....
I've noticed that my older neighborhood kids are never without some sort of wheeled thing- like a motorized scooter.

I've started to restrict the toys when we're outside, because I want Jack to learn to PLAY. Four square, hide and seek, Mother May I, Red Light/Green Light, Tag, Freeze Tag, TV Tag, Stuck in the mud.... FREE things. That's what I had as a kid....and I have the best memories of playing with the neighborhood kids.
In school, at recess, we played a lot of "Catergories". Where us girls would sit in a circle, and do that clapping chant "Cater-gories....names of..___" and then we had to name something in the catergory....

It makes me sad to hear that a local elementary school banned Tag because it was too violent. TAG. Seriously. So sad.

elephantmeg
04-12-2010, 08:16 PM

me either.

Tondi G
04-12-2010, 08:32 PM
My 3rd graders school has no grass (wish they did). They have a play structure but they rotate areas every week so that they don't have tons of kids climbing on the structure at all times. The other areas are handball courts, basketball court, 4 square and the bases for kickball and the track lines. They had volleyball nets and tether ball last year but I think they took them down (not sure why).

My DS loves kickball, handball and 4 square, And Area X (the play structure)!

jd11365
04-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Not to get off topic, but our school doesn't even have recess past 2nd grade. :(
As for the OP, I grew up in NYC on a blacktop for recess. Handball (suicide), 4 square, handgames. At Kayla's school, she has a playground, so that's usually what they use for play.

mommylamb
04-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Hmmm... DS is nowhere near school aged, so I can't speak for what kids do now, but my ES when I was a kid had a big play structure and I have lots of memories of monkey bars, swings, sesaws, slides, etc. There was also a blacktop area with hop scotch and We did jump rope, and do chinese jump rope. But, while I've heard of it, I have no idea how you play four square. My memories are mostly of playing on the play structure though.

Corie
04-12-2010, 08:52 PM
I have absolutely no idea how to play 4-square!!

My daughter does the monkey bars and plays tag. :)

s7714
04-12-2010, 08:56 PM

Don't feel bad. I'd never even heard of it until this year when my DD learned it in P.E. And I still haven't the slightest clue how it's played! My DH knows how to play it from his childhood though.

egoldber
04-12-2010, 09:01 PM
How funny! I just assumed everyone knew how to play 4 square. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_square

billysmommy
04-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Ds1's elementary school has 2 climbing structures, sandbox, 2 sets of swings and jungle gym, a huge dirt hill with all kinds of holes, roots, rocks, etc, a black-top with basketball hoops and painted on four-square and hopscotch as well as a soccer field and baseball field (they play kickball here).

Ds1 is usually playing tag, kickball or is on the hill exploring with his friends. It's right behind our house so we're there almost every day in the summer too :)

squimp
04-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Four Square is HUGE at DDs' elementary school! So much so that they have a yearly tournament for the 4th and 5th graders :)!

ETA - They also have "Mileage Club" for kids interested in running laps at recess. They earn a token to attach to their sneakers after they run 5 miles. My DD1 was so proud to earn her first token!

It's huge at our school too. My Kindergartner reminded me how to play and insists she will go to the Olympics in four square. ;) They also have a play structure and balls, and a bunch of swings. No grassy field on the K-2 playground. The 3-5 playground has a big grassy field and another play structure. They also play tag and all these tag variants that I never knew, like "fish out of water", "lava monster" and some others. They go outside 5 times per day, and it is great for them.

That mileage club is a great idea!

Elilly
04-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Our DD plays 4 square, hopscotch, and jumprope in 1st grade. During indoor recess, they play cat's cradle and boardgames.