PDA

View Full Version : Did your morning sickness change w/each pregnancy?

ourbabygirl
04-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Just wondering if your (morning) sickness got better, worse, or stayed about the same with subsequent pregnancies. I'd love to have more kids, but this pregnancy made me even more sick than my first, and I don't know that I have it in me to go through this again, especially with more kids to take care of! ;)

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences...

ETA: For those lucky ladies who never had morning sickness with any of your pregnancies, I'm JEALOUS, and please tell us about it! Do you think it had to do with genetics (your mom didn't have any, either), the sex of your babies, or something else?

Thanks!

BigDog
04-12-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm one of the few that didn't have morning sickness. I never had it with DS, and I haven't had it being pregnant now with DC2. I'm not quite sure how I lucked out. I once read that if you're prone to motion sickness (which I am) then you'll likely have morning sickness, but apparently that doesn't seem to be the case. I also suffer from vertigo, so I really thought that might increase my chances of getting morning sickness, but no. I know when my mom was pregnant with me she was super sick - barely gained any weight because she could hardly keep anything down. Not sure if morning sickness has anything to do with the sex of the baby, but we'll be finding out the sex of DC2 tomorrow so we'll see! (Although I'm hoping that this theory isn't true because I'm praying for a girl this time!).

momof2girls
04-12-2010, 04:13 PM
With DD#1 I was sick constantly....from morning until night. I was pulling over on the side of the street to throw up. It went away at about 5 months. Then with DD#2 I think I threw up a total of 3 times. It was much better!

citymama
04-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Sick and sicker here - nausea lasted 14 weeks (and really bad) with dd1, and 5 months (and even worse) with dd2. And I had acid reflux and heartburn BIG TIME with the second pregnancy. The same food aversions and incredibly strong sense of smell both times. I haven't been pregnant w/ a boy so I don't know if this is somehow girl related!

brittone2
04-12-2010, 04:27 PM
No rhyme or reason to my situation I guess. With my oldest it was quite mild. Some nausea, some food aversions, but I never vomited. With my 2nd, I had more nausea and vomited regularly, but only from say 7-10 weeks of pregnancy. Just went it peaked, it went away (which freaked me out a bit). So I got off kinda easy there.

With baby #3, I had a lot of nausea in the mornings from around weeks 7-10 or so again, but only vomited maybe 2 times. So kinda of in between in terms of intensity. A bit worse than with #1 but not as bad as with my 2nd child.

AnnieW625
04-12-2010, 04:28 PM
With DD I had a feeling that I was going to be sick for about a week in the AM, but never actually got sick. Peanut butter spoons at night and some crackers right when I woke up really helped. This was about week 8 of the pregnancy.

With pregnancy #2 I was sick a lot mainly when I took multi vitamins or my calcium supplements (this happened until I had my D&E sx. at 25 weeks).

With this pregnancy except for a few dizzy spells where I felt like I was going to get sick (and those were in the 2nd trimester) I never once got sick. I know people get sick all of the time with pregnancy but I was soo thankful I didn't get sick this time because of how sick I was with the tri-18 baby.\

ETA: I have had way more heartburn than I ever did with the prior two pregnancies. Tums w/extra calcium were my best friend.

JoyNChrist
04-12-2010, 04:29 PM
I didn't get sick one time with DS, but this time I was horribly sick from 5 weeks to 13 weeks. I was hospitalized twice for hyperemesis, and I was really getting depressed about being so sick. It was miserable.

Granted, this is a twin pregnancy, but I had no idea it could be so drastically different. Given our IF issues and how hard the first trimester was this time, I really don't know if we'll have more kids.

ETA - FWIW, my first pregnancy was a boy, and this time we're pretty sure it's boy/girl twins. My skin is also horrible with this pregnancy, while it was great with DS. So maybe that baby girl is just kicking my butt. ;)

kdeunc
04-12-2010, 04:44 PM
With DS1 I had "textbook" morning sickness. Mine was light nausea (no vomiting) that really came and went throughout the day. It ended completely at the end of my first trimester.

With DS2 and DD I had really bad nausea that lasted all day (still no vomiting) for over 20 weeks. I was on zofran with both of those pregnancies.

No boy/girl difference for me. Also my mother never had a day of morning sickness with either me or my sister so no apparent "bad genes" either.

I tried to at least make myself feel better with the "morning sickness is generally a good sign that things are going well". :)

JTsMom
04-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Wow, check out those results! Mine was worse this time. I never vomited with either pregnancy, but the nausea was horrendously bad, especially this time, to the point where I'd wish I would, hoping for relief. Food aversions were out of control this time around. For the first trimester, I could mainly only eat bread (and white or oatmeal bread at that!), fruit, milk and beef. Then I started to crave absolute garbage that I normally won't eat. Soda, boxed mac and cheese, canned mandarin oranges- I was totally pathetic.

♥ms.pacman♥
04-12-2010, 05:17 PM
eek, these poll results are really scaring me! :( i really want to have more kids, but the first trimester experience for me was not a fun one at all. i had read online that usually morning sickness gets better with subsequent pregnancies, since your body is more accustomed to the hormones. but apparently from the poll results that doesn't seem to be true...ugh.

i had morning sickness with DS, from about week 6 to week 16. i only puked about a dozen or so times, but the nausea lasted all flippin' day. it was horrible. as many of you know, the CONSTANT nausea can be worse than the vomiting. if i could have just thrown up every morning and be done with it, it would be soo much easier than simply feeling sick ALL DAY. don't know how i will manage pregnancy a second time, while being a SAHM and having to care for a baby and clean poopy diapers/vomit messes and plus cook (for me, cooking smells were the worst). ugh.

and i totally had the weird cravings/aversions too. when my m/s was really bad, the only things i could eat would be mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, instant ramen soup, and hot dogs. i could not stand chicken or vegetables in any form.

i am so, so incredibly jealous of people who don't get morning sickness at all. being pregnant would have been 100x more enjoyable for me if i didn't have to deal with it!

MoJo
04-12-2010, 05:31 PM
SO much worse this time that it's pretty much convinced me that 2 is our number. . . I couldn't be this sick and take care of two preschoolers. DH was already saying this was it, but now I agree.

With DD#1, I frequently got sick, usually in the morning, but I'd just eat again, have no trouble keeping that down, and go about my day. It wasn't fun, but it wasn't a big deal. I craved Spaghetti O's, but I could eat anything, as long as I got some protein in the morning.

With DD#2 (currently incubating), I'm nauseous all the time unless I'm taking the Zofran (and sometimes even then.) I lost weight during the first few months because I was getting sick so much. Without the meds, I couldn't bend over. . . had to stay still for 10-20 minutes after eating (not at all nice when you have an impatient toddler) . . . lived on ginger ale and peppermint. . . went from eating pretty well to being a leading contributor to "Boxed Tops for Education" for a friend. . . still have a hard time eating veggies. . . still fold laundry sitting on the floor in front of the dryer . . . still have to get up, take meds, then eat slowly, then drink before DD wakes up. One of my midwifes put me on the Zofran in January. Another said that I shouldn't still be having this sickness in February. . . to which I said, "I know, that's why I'm on Zofran." Now I probably only get sick about once every few weeks, except the week when DH said he was joining the military this summer - that week I was sick a lot. I've been so sick that DD thinks that is the purpose of the toilet. The baby's movements make me nauseous now, too.

Two months 'til my due date!

arivecchi
04-12-2010, 05:35 PM
I had horrible MS the first time around, multiple ER visits, etc. until my OB prescribed Zofran. I voted about the same because at the first hint of MS with #2, I took Zofran and felt fine throughout my entire first trimester. I have no idea why I let myself suffer so much the first time around.

JoyNChrist
04-12-2010, 05:47 PM
when my m/s was really bad, the only things i could eat would be mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, instant ramen soup, and hot dogs. i could not stand chicken or vegetables in any form.

O/T, but when I was so sick this time around, the only things I could stomach were mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, and ramen.

pinkmomagain
04-12-2010, 05:50 PM
OK, I never had any morning sickness whatsover with any of my three pregnancies. I'm thrilled it was the case for me, but the one draw back is that I had a healthy appetite from day one through birth, so I gained weight right from the beginning. I craved baked ziti alot. Anything that I felt would stick to my ribs since I had a feeling of hunger for much of the time.

mecawa
04-12-2010, 06:22 PM
I had horrible morning sickness and fatigue with DD1 and nothing with DD2.

cvanbrunt
04-12-2010, 07:07 PM
I vomited daily for 3 months with #1. At 6:30 am and around 3pm. So much I lost 10 lbs the first trimester. Only once or twice with #2. No idea why so different. Now that 4 years have passed, I prefer the vomiting because I ended up with only a few pounds to lose. Just lost my last few pounds from #2 a couple of months ago.

elizabethkott
04-12-2010, 07:28 PM
With DS1, no issues really... there were perhaps two evenings when I felt nauseous.
With THIS pregnancy however... pukey pukerson!
Thankfully, the ms has gone away, but the STRONG aversion to red meat and poultry remains.

boltfam
04-12-2010, 11:03 PM
With DS, I was nauseous all the time - like my whole pregnancy, but I only vomitied twice. With DC2, I was much sicker at the beginning - vomited several times up until about 22 weeks, but haven't really been nauseous since then. I have reflux pretty bad, and that been much more manageable this time around thanks to better medication.

scmama
04-12-2010, 11:22 PM
With DS, I never had any morning sickness. I had a lot of sciatic pain, heartburn and fainted a few times though. With this pregnancy it was the complete opposite. I was nauseous 24/7 for the first 14 or so weeks. It was horrible. I never threw up up but being that sick all day long really did a number on me. I was so glad when I started to feel better. Now I'm just dealing with even more painful sciatic pain than I had with DS.

Momof3Labs
04-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Never vomited with any of my pregnancies. Nausea, yes. I don't remember if it was worse with one pg vs. another, but it went away by the end of the first trimester. Obviously baby gender didn't make a difference, and twins didn't really either.

pb&j
04-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Three pregnancies, three different experiences.

1st pg (stillbirth @24 wks) - no morning sickness; occasional queasiness on an empty stomach. ETA: I did have a terrible food aversion to barbecue sauce that remains to this day. Ugh, I can't even think about barbecue sauce without getting totally grossed out.

2nd pg (DS) - felt extremely queasy 24/7 from 4 weeks until 20 weeks. It was really tough, I wasn't throwing up, but I was sick all.the.time. I would get so nauseous it would wake me up at night. It was like being seasick or carsick 24 hours/day. I lost weight in the 1st tri, and didn't really start gaining till after 17 weeks.

3rd pg (DD) - Queasy till about 15-16 weeks, but not as bad as with DS.

I had bad heartburn with all 3 pgs. Oddly enough, VERY spicy food made me feel better. When I was in the thick of nausea with DD, I ate piles of really spicy chicken wings, and it was like heaven. With DS, I HAD to have gazpacho (the spicier the better) pretty much every day.

Indianamom2
04-13-2010, 10:59 AM
I voted worse.

DD#1...I had about a week of no appetite. That was the extent of my "morning sickness". Honestly, that was such an easy, pleasant pregnancy.

Ds#2...almost 18 weeks or so of miserable, no good, lousy morning sickness that started as just no appetite, but very quickly became nausea and then vomitting and then dehydration due to not being able to keep even water down. And that was with medication. Oh, and terrible migraines too. Zofran was my friend, but I didn't get that until I was in the ER at 15 weeks. Even with taking that, it still took a couple more weeks to start really feeling better, although the vomiting did stop almost immediately.

The only upside....I lost about 30 lbs. throughout the pregnancy. I wouldn't recommend that, though!

Toba
04-13-2010, 11:12 AM
I had an early miscarriage about 11 or 12 years ago. The pregnancy lasted about 9 weeks and I was sick every morning, afternoon and through the night. I was so lethargic that I was barely able to eat anything and my DH fed me oranges and blueberries until I miscarried. I don't know if I was SOOO sick that there was just something wrong, hence the miscarriage.

We began fertility treatments with a reproductive endocrinologist (this was actually our third RE) and got pregnant on the first try (this doctor was also a PCOS expert, so I think that helped our chances tremendously). He told me before we got pregnant that he and his wife have six pregnancies and some she had morning sickness, some she didn't. BUT he did tell me that he felt the "cure" of morning sickness was to eat as much protein as you can. As soon as I found out I was pregnant, I went on a major protein diet. DH would make me scrambled eggs every morning and left them in the fridge to heat up when I woke up (I have a thing about raw eggs so he cooked them for me every morning). Then I ate lots of protein every lunch and dinner too. Dinner was usually the $5 roasted chicken from BJ's. I strongly believe as a result of my massive protein diet, I had NOT A DAY of morning sickness my entire pregnancy. I did have low blood sugar issues but I would just drink OJ or something and then I was fine (I had a blood sugar meter). My second pregnancy was one of the happiest times of my life. My first pregnancy was hell until I miscarried ... we so wanted the baby, but OMG, I felt like I was dying.

mariza
04-13-2010, 11:42 AM
I voted "other". I did have some occasional nausea with DD but never actually had to vomit. Some days I thought I might, but a little ginger ale and saltines fixed it pretty quick.
With DS I was extremely early in my pregnancy (like literally days pg) when I went out on my brothers boat and got incredibly nauseous which has never happened to me before. I went out that night and bought a pregnancy test and that is how I found out we were expecting #2 :D
Other than that I had basically no morning sickness with either pregnancy.