PDA

View Full Version : Which Dr. Bronner's scent?

DrSally
04-12-2010, 04:25 PM
So, I'm almost out of my TJ's castille soap, and since they don't make it anymore, I need to buy Dr. Bronners. I was at Target today and they had the 16oz for $8 ish. I looked at Drugstore.com and they have some good prices for the 32 oz--12.xx-13.xx.

http://www.drugstore.com/search/search_results.asp?Ntt=dr.+bronners&Ntx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&No=0&N=0&Ntk=All&srchtree=1

I'm considering the citrus scent, but wondering if anyone has found the citrus EO's irritating to their skin? I know orange, lemon, lime oil can be irritating (as well as peppermint, but we haven't had a problem with that). The rose also sounds intriguing. I would get the baby (unscented) too, but would like something that smells nice for the handsoap dispensers. Any preferences?

JoyNChrist
04-12-2010, 04:27 PM
I love the peppermint. I wish everything in my house smelled like that. ;)

ett
04-12-2010, 04:28 PM
My TJ's has the 32 oz. Dr. Bronner's pepperment scent for $8.99.

DrSally
04-12-2010, 04:30 PM
My TJ's has the 32 oz. Dr. Bronner's pepperment scent for $8.99.

No way! That's an awesome price. I guess I never looked b/c I always bought the TJ's brand, which is even cheaper.

brittone2
04-12-2010, 04:33 PM
If you get unscented, you can always add your own EOs to your mixes or as you use it, kwim? That way you aren't stuck w/ a whole bottle of something you might not like.

elliput
04-12-2010, 04:34 PM
I use peppermint for the bathrooms and lavender in the kitchen.

Ceepa
04-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Peppermint is great. The tea tree oil is not.

SnuggleBuggles
04-12-2010, 04:36 PM
I like peppermint. But, I would be inclined to go unscented and maybe add some fragrance to it (if you can? not sure). It'd just be a bummer if you bought a big old container of a scent and got sick of it.
eta- guess I should have read all the replies before posting! Sorry for the duplicate sentiment!
Beth

o_mom
04-12-2010, 04:37 PM
I get unscented for most things and TTO for cleaning.

baileygirl
04-12-2010, 04:38 PM
We like the peppermint too. I bought a smaller bottle at Whole Foods (around $5) to try it out, and will get the bigger one next time.

DrSally
04-12-2010, 04:40 PM
If you get unscented, you can always add your own EOs to your mixes or as you use it, kwim? That way you aren't stuck w/ a whole bottle of something you might not like.

Good point. 32 oz is a lot. OTOH, if they have the 32 oz at TJ's for 8.xx, I'm totally getting it there the next time I make it over there. I've never seen it that low.

JTsMom
04-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Yep, I bought it at TJ's for that price also. Mine only has peppermint, but I really like the scent. I was bummed that they discontinued the TJ's one, but honestly, the Dr. B's is SO much nicer, I don't miss the TJ's one now. The scent is way better, and it seems like you can dilute it a lot more.

larig
04-12-2010, 05:04 PM
I just bought the citrus, I hope it doesn't irritate skin. I think it smells lovely. That said, I usually buy the peppermint.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Either peppermint or lavender. We alternate.

Happy 2B mommy
04-12-2010, 08:02 PM
I bought the almond ages ago. I love the smell and it doesn't irritate my skin. I can even use it on my face.

DrSally
04-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Yep, I bought it at TJ's for that price also. Mine only has peppermint, but I really like the scent. I was bummed that they discontinued the TJ's one, but honestly, the Dr. B's is SO much nicer, I don't miss the TJ's one now. The scent is way better, and it seems like you can dilute it a lot more.

Oh, well, that's good news that the DB's seems better than the TJ's. Will make the price easier to swallow. It lasts so long, 8.xx for 32 oz is really a good deal regardless.

ewpmsw
04-13-2010, 04:51 PM
I love the peppermint. I wish everything in my house smelled like that. ;)
:yeahthat:

ThreeofUs
04-13-2010, 05:19 PM
FWIW: I just bought a bottle of DB's peppermint at TJ for 8.99 and a bottle of DB's unscented at WF for the same price. Same size bottles (32 oz). WF had a much better selection.

DrSally
04-13-2010, 05:26 PM
FWIW: I just bought a bottle of DB's peppermint at TJ for 8.99 and a bottle of DB's unscented at WF for the same price. Same size bottles (32 oz). WF had a much better selection.

Too bad it's a *really* special trip to WF for us. So much, that I haven't been in 2 years.

sewarsh
04-13-2010, 06:32 PM
My experience is that anything with fragrance in it is usually rated a higher (not good) rating at EWG or cosmetic database. so whenever i get any products, i always get non-scented. i haven't bought Dr. Broods yet, but plan on it so would be iterested in hearing people's opinions.

brittone2
04-13-2010, 06:47 PM
My experience is that anything with fragrance in it is usually rated a higher (not good) rating at EWG or cosmetic database. so whenever i get any products, i always get non-scented. i haven't bought Dr. Broods yet, but plan on it so would be iterested in hearing people's opinions.
I think that's because the generic term "fragrance" in an ingredient list often means that phthalates are part of the scent. They don't need to be labeled as phthalates but can be included under the generic term "fragrance." IIRC unless a product specifies that its scent is derived from EOs, EWG tends to err on the side of holding "fragrance" suspect, kwim? Because the company does not have to disclose what ingredients go into its specific "fragrance" and it *can* include phthalates (and usually does if it is a synthetic/non EO derived fragrance).

I am pretty sure the scents in DB's are naturally derived.

happy2bamom
04-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Almond is my absolute favorite.

jamesmom
04-13-2010, 08:52 PM
I like the peppermint and lavender.

DrSally
04-13-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm pretty sure, too, that DB's scents are EO's. I would like Almond myself, but won't use it around here b/c of allergies.

sewarsh
04-14-2010, 03:17 PM
I think that's because the generic term "fragrance" in an ingredient list often means that phthalates are part of the scent. They don't need to be labeled as phthalates but can be included under the generic term "fragrance." IIRC unless a product specifies that its scent is derived from EOs, EWG tends to err on the side of holding "fragrance" suspect, kwim? Because the company does not have to disclose what ingredients go into its specific "fragrance" and it *can* include phthalates (and usually does if it is a synthetic/non EO derived fragrance).

I am pretty sure the scents in DB's are naturally derived.

Thanks Brittone.
But what do IIRC & EO stand for? I'm really bad at these acronyms!!! And how do you know if a products "fragrance" contains phthalates? If the product says "natural" on it does that mean its phthalate free?

SO CONFUSING!!

ett
04-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks Brittone.
But what do IIRC & EO stand for? I'm really bad at these acronyms!!!
SO CONFUSING!!

If I recall correctly.

Essential Oils.