PDA

View Full Version : Formerly surly toddler suddenly happy and affectionate?

arivecchi
04-12-2010, 04:28 PM
My 14 month old used to be a very serious baby. He was a quite demanding/tantrum prone child. Hence the dictator nickname. :rolleyes:

About 2 weeks ago, he changed and he is now very cuddly/affectionate and seems so much happier and smiley. What is going on? DH and I were discussing this yesterday and the only possible explanation we could come up with was that he recently mastered crawling with EI therapy and perhaps that affected his social development. Thoughts?

jjordan
04-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Not exactly the same, but my ds was a very high needs baby and HATED to be with anyone other than dh and me. Then just at about 14 months old (in September) he turned a corner and is absolutely delightful most of the time, and far less apprehensive about strangers.

sunshine873
04-12-2010, 05:31 PM
I think you're right. DD was an OK baby, but once she learned to crawl, she was obviously a much happier little girl. Her EI therapists and all my friends agree. I think they can just develop a little more, be more social and can do what they want without always having to ask for it. It would make me happier too! Congrats & enjoy...I know I have! :)

maestramommy
04-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Laurel was a very fussy baby, feeding endlessly, and always wanted to be held. Terrible sleeper too. But I noticed every time she hit a gross motor milestone (starting with sitting up alone) she was much happier. Until she started working on the next milestone. Then it'd be grump city all over again. You should've seen her the weekend she was trying oh so hard to crawl. Screeching, crying, whining. She was probably popping teeth at the same time, but she's always teething:p Now that she's crawling well, she's able to play by herself for certain periods again. We'll probably go through this again when she starts pulling up or walking.

She's still very demanding though. Happiest when someone is playing with her. Always squawks the second she realizes she's alone.

MoJo
04-12-2010, 06:38 PM
No experience, but so happy for you and the former? dictator!

mommylamb
04-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Yay! Sounds like he's just independent and was getting frustrated because things weren't on his terms.

wellyes
04-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Let's not question it , just enjoy it!! 14-18 months is such an awesome age.

happymom
04-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Let's not question it , just enjoy it!! 14-18 months is such an awesome age.
:yeahthat: DD is 16 months and we have been having so much fun with her lately...so happy for you!

catroddick
04-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Enjoy every bit of it that you can! Happy baby!

arivecchi
04-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I think it must be that he finally mastered that milestone and is now happy about being able to move around. Poor guy - seems he must have been immensely frustrated before.

I just may have to retire the dictator moniker. :boogie:

pb&j
04-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Haven't read the other replies, but DD was a lot like this. She was colicky, and very high strung. As she started walking and her language got better, she has become a ray of sunshine! She's like a different kid!! She's just so much more relaxed.

We joke that she is 25 years old, but trapped in a baby's body. She is clearly extremely frustrated by being a baby, and who can blame her!

lmh2402
04-12-2010, 08:57 PM
i have nothing to add from a reasoning perspective, but just wanted to offer a big YAY!! :thumbsup:

i'm really happy for your family

i wish we had a similar trend going here...i'm still bleeding every other day from my DS's teeth :nono:

so your post gives me hope

SnuggleBuggles
04-12-2010, 09:25 PM
My ds1 hit this huge unpleasant wall when he was almost 4yo but then potty trained (in 1 day) and instantly his mood did a 180! We had even taken him to a therapist because his behavior was just no good all around. We went back to the therapist after the pt'ing since we had the appt already scheduled and she was very happy with his amazing transformation. Sometimes the frustrations can really build up and affect everything. Not being able to communicate or move as desired all can be problems so when progress is made all works out. :)

Beth

arivecchi
04-13-2010, 11:47 AM
i have nothing to add from a reasoning perspective, but just wanted to offer a big YAY!! :thumbsup:

i'm really happy for your family

i wish we had a similar trend going here...i'm still bleeding every other day from my DS's teeth :nono:

so your post gives me hope After reading the feedback here, I am pretty convinced that his hitting the crawling milestone was behind the change, so yes, there is hope! Your DS truly sounds a LOT like mine. Good luck mama!

elephantmeg
04-13-2010, 12:09 PM
my mom still talks about my brother - that he hated being a baby and once he could walk/talk he was a different kid!

choopi
04-13-2010, 12:27 PM
I've heard from a lot of parents that their babies were cranky until they learned how to walk or crawl. My DD is 12 1/2 months and became so much more delightful once she started crawling a few months ago. She can now entertain herself and we rarely have to leave places early because she's throwing a fit. Her moods are a lot more predictable, which makes my life easier. She still has her moments, but I think she's so happy to be free!