PDA

View Full Version : s/o - What do you use Dr. Bronner's for?

JoyNChrist
04-12-2010, 04:49 PM
I have a big bottle of the peppermint and love the smell, but so far I've only used it in the kitchen. I'm sure I'm missing opportunities to use it for other things (we're trying to cut out a lot of our cleaning products around here).

JTsMom
04-12-2010, 04:55 PM
-handsoap (foaming pumps, diluted with water)
-cleaning the bathrooms- tubs/shower/sinks/toilet- works -really well mixed with baking soda to make a paste!
kitchen sink
-if my hair gets really dry, I'll wash it once with castille soap

larig
04-12-2010, 04:57 PM
timely thread...

I used one of the recipes for a spray from the clean house clean planet book--about 20 oz water, couple Tbs dr. bronners, and about 20 drops tea tree oil. good for replacing fantastic-type sprays (i use the peppermint one for this).

we use it for camping soap too.

chottumommy
04-12-2010, 05:31 PM
I use it to wash my woollens and all my delicates. They remain soft and scratch free, especially my Smartwool socks.

mmommy
04-12-2010, 07:33 PM
We bathe with it.

neeleymartin
04-12-2010, 07:52 PM
we tried the bathing and hand washing, unfortunately it is much to drying on our irish skin. my skin and my ds1's was flaking after only a couple days of use. felt tight and dry, clean though.

we mainly use it for household cleaning as mentioned above.

other than those mentioned a beautiful use is a soft scrub alternative. add a couple of drops of bronners as well as eo to a couple tablespoons or so of baking soda in the tub or sink then scrub. i usually go for tea tree b/c of the antibacterial qualities. hth

Happy 2B mommy
04-12-2010, 07:57 PM
I use the almond-scented soap for handsoap in the bathroom and as my facial cleanser. I LOVE how soft my skin feels. I don't wear much make-up and think it removes what little I wear just fine.

I used the peppermint for cleaning in the kitchen and for delicates laundry.

JTsMom
04-12-2010, 08:25 PM
we tried the bathing and hand washing, unfortunately it is much to drying on our irish skin. my skin and my ds1's was flaking after only a couple days of use. felt tight and dry, clean though.

we mainly use it for household cleaning as mentioned above.

other than those mentioned a beautiful use is a soft scrub alternative. add a couple of drops of bronners as well as eo to a couple tablespoons or so of baking soda in the tub or sink then scrub. i usually go for tea tree b/c of the antibacterial qualities. hth

Wow, that surprises me since it's oil based! My hands were incredibly dry before I switched over (they'd actually bleed at times), but now they are really soft.

DrSally
04-12-2010, 08:29 PM
I read in the reviews that some people find it drying. I wonder if they're diluting it enough? Neeley, just curious, how much do/did you use in the tub?

neeleymartin
04-12-2010, 08:44 PM
I read in the reviews that some people find it drying. I wonder if they're diluting it enough? Neeley, just curious, how much do/did you use in the tub?

maybe a teaspoon, if that. i err on the side of not enough of most products. would prefer to use nothing, but soap really cuts the dirt. the eczema on my hands got worse too. fwiw, we bought a bottle of the tj plain old castille initially.

DrSally
04-12-2010, 08:48 PM
maybe a teaspoon, if that. i err on the side of not enough of most products. would prefer to use nothing, but soap really cuts the dirt. the eczema on my hands got worse too. fwiw, we bought a bottle of the tj plain old castille initially.

Wow. I hope you found something that works for you. Have you tried cetaphil?

neeleymartin
04-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Wow. I hope you found something that works for you. Have you tried cetaphil?

we use cetaphil and/or dove. i really prefer the dove, smells so fresh. cetaphil is the best for our skin.

newg
04-12-2010, 09:46 PM
we use it for hand soap only right now.
I use method products for the bathrooms.
7th gen. for cleaning the kitchen and costco enviro. friendly soap for washing dishes in the sink.

ewpmsw
04-13-2010, 04:49 PM
First used Dr. Bronners to bathe, brush teeth and wash dishes/pans when camping and working in the back country.

More recently, I use the peppermint diluted with water to debug my houseplants that live outside in the summer. Also spritz or rub some on before going out to do yard work and have put it on DD while she was in her baby pool to keep the skeeties away.

I found it too drying to use on hair or skin while camping, but this could have been due to not using enough of the freezing cold water to rinse.

crl
04-13-2010, 04:58 PM
I use it to clean bathroom sinks and tubs. I dump some baking soda in the sink/tub, then squirt some castille soap and use the resulting paste to scrub. It works really well.

Catherine

neeleymartin
04-13-2010, 09:41 PM
First used Dr. Bronners to bathe, brush teeth...

really??? is this a typo? soap in the mouth?? i have never heard of this. i have used baking soda, but never castille soap. inform me, please.