PDA

View Full Version : WTH is going on with my skin???

Toba
04-12-2010, 09:58 PM
My husband died my hair on Saturday, I think it was (he's awesome and I have really long curly hair and range of motion problem in my arm from a bad car accident years ago). I used Feria (I think it's made by Loreal), which is what I always have used when dyeing hair at home ever since reading in some Cosmo or something that one of those famous hair stylists said that box hair color sucked and he could see it a mile away, EXCEPT for Feria. Anyway, I'm on a crapload of medication (14 freaking pills a night ... one medication I have to take SEVEN of because even though I am only one pill higher (50 mgs) than the max dose for that drug, the highest dose pill they make is 50 mgs ... I'm on 350mgs and the max dose is 300mgs; why not make a 100 mg pill ... it's absurd). This is the second time I've used Feria since being on all this medication and there were NO problems whatsoever.

While my DH was filling in the color on the lower back of my head, I felt slight burning/tingling but it wasn't intolerable. The next day I caught myself itching my head (all over) several times. Today my MIL and I got back from a long day of errands and I sat on the couch and was reading on line. I started just feeling the back of my head because it no long itched but just felt weird ... like tight or something. I felt what felt like a huge volcano on the back of my head ... started itching it (I know, stupid) and I felt this long, hard, stringy thing coming out. I freaked out and yelled for MIL (who thought I lit myself on fire or something by the way I screamed, but I am freaked out by bugs). She looked through my scalp, said she didn't see anything .... then I put my finger on the freaky bump thing and she said she saw it but it just looked like a pimple that was drying out (I have NEVER had a pimple in my hair that I am aware of). She goes back upstairs and now I'm scratching everywhere and still freaking out. I collected about a square inch or inch and a half of what looked like white dried out scabs. My DH came in moments later and I told him I needed him right away ... when he saw the pile, he got a litte freaked too. He looked through my entire head and found more of it, but he said it didn't even look like pimples, just these big mounds of swollen skin with the crusty stuff on top. I'm still itching everything because I have cooties realllllly bad now. LOL

For most of the day today, the inside of my upper thighs were burning and extremely itchy. The Feria didn't come in contact at all with my thighs.

One of the meds I'm on (the seven pill one, of course), I am not allowed in sunlight or UV rays for extended periods of time. I've been trying to very hard to stay out of it, but sometimes it's impossible. So I'm wondering if it was the Feria (of which, like I said before, I've never had a problem with) or if I got too much sun one day. Either scenario does not explain the rampant burning and itching of my upper thighs.

Any ideas? I've been taking Benadryl since yesterday with no relief in either area (head and thighs). It just doesn't make since to me. I would say it's a drug interaction with the Feria, but I've been on these meds for months and have used the Feria on the same meds before with no problem. I'm flummoxed. I just would like to know WTH it is just to avoid it again.

sariana
04-12-2010, 10:03 PM
You could have developed an allergy to an ingredient in the hair dye. There is one in particular that is a serious problem for some people (even after years of use--the allergy can develop suddenly). I would recommend calling a doctor. I know someone who almost died after having her hair dyed for the umpteen hundredth time.

aa2mama
04-12-2010, 11:22 PM
The timing and the location of your reaction make it sound like it was related to the Feria. Totally a different scenerio, but I developed a beesting allergy after being stung many times over the years and never before reacting. The doctor said that being exposed so many times actually triggered the allergy.

The fact that your thighs were itchy as well makes it sound like you experienced a systemic reaction which would make me very leery of dyeing your hair again without talking with a doctor. Hope you get to the bottom of this!

Toba
04-13-2010, 05:57 AM
Thank you both ....

That's weird about the allergy thing, because I thought that people don't develop allergies after they become adults. I *did* though develop an allergy several years ago to any kind of artificial nail stuff (from salons) ... I'd get nasty red pustules that itched like I had a swarm of chiggers attack me. My DH finally said no more nail stuff, which really stunk because I love beautifully done french manicures ... no more though. :(

I'm leery of calling my doctor though because he's med crazy and will have me on steroids right away. And let's be honest, he's a guy and would tell me I can't color my hair ever again ... and that just can not happen!! I'm going to call my therapist who wrote the script for most of the meds I'm on. She's *extremely* thorough. There's a Frederic Fekkai hair color at Sephora and it's gotten great reviews and is supposed to be more of a salon hair color and not a boxed one. http://tinyurl.com/y4x2vk

vejemom
04-13-2010, 06:21 AM
Yeah, you became sensitive to something in the Feria for whatever reason. Most boxed dyes have directions to do a sensitivity test 48 hours before you dye, each and every time. You poor thing! I hope you recover quickly.