PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Eczema on the Face?

ChefGirl
04-12-2010, 10:28 PM
My 2yo DS has had this rash on his face especailly around his eyes for about 2 weeks now. I thought it may be seasonal allergy related. He gets the same type of rash when he's sweaty and hot around his neck. But, it seems like it's not going away. I've try to flare it down by using Aquarphor. Obviously it's itchy bad b/c he rubs his eyes all the time.....Yikes...anyone has any similiar experience. I called the ped's office and the nurse says just to use the vaseline type of lotion since it's around the eyes. You can tell he's miserable...poor thing. we also did Benadryl at night too....

Thanks.

boltfam
04-12-2010, 10:46 PM
I am no medical expert and don't deal with allergies a bunch, but I've had a rash around my eyes myself that sounds really similar. Any chance he could have been exposed to poison ivy, sumac, or oak? You would think if it was one of those that it would spread to other parts of the body, but maybe? Otherwise, has he been wearing sunglasses or anything? I never figured out what caused my rash, but it did go away eventually.

I hope it goes away soon so your poor little DS can be comfortable again. Good luck!

DrSally
04-12-2010, 10:47 PM
IDK, If it's only when he sweats, it may be miliaria? http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1070840-overview

MamaSnoo
04-12-2010, 10:50 PM
DD does get eczema under her eyes. It responds to Cerave, which is what works best for flares on her body as well. You could try some of the barrier that you like best for the body.....unfortunately, in DDs case, it is really hard to clear up. Sorry I am not more help.

amandabea
04-12-2010, 10:59 PM
I've been getting eczema on my eyelids off and on for quite sometime. Initially I didn't know what it was as it came immediately after a bout of pink eye, but I went to the doctor and he was the one who told me it was eczema. I have an ointment specifically for the eye area - Tobradex I think - that I put on my eyelid or where/whenever it flares up.

ett
04-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Both DS's had eczema around their eyes. In addition to moisturizer, we used Elidel. Definitely do not use any kind of steroids (like hydrocortisone) near the eyes.

codex57
04-12-2010, 11:23 PM
We use Cetaphil on DS and DD.

Green22
04-13-2010, 06:50 PM
The eyes are one of my worst spots for eczema, it sucks.

I wash with Dove's sensitive skin soap, put on cerave lotion while still wet and then vaseline on top - a thin layer to seal in the water and moisture. Sometimes I skip the cerave and just do the vaseline when it is bad. Since it is the eye area which is so incredibly itchy and frustrating. My doc has okay'd certain steroids - used sparingly - and recommended applying it over the vaseline. I am not sure what it does, but it helps me out. It prevents the area from getting so dry from using the cremes on their own and prevents any burning feelings.

My eyes have been bad the past week or so, it's got to be something in the air. Good luck to you and LO!

Adding in: For some reason I do not do well with Aquaphor. I am sensitive to wool, and it has lanolin in it. I'm not sure if it is related b/c there is supposed to be a type of lanolin out there that is more pure or something and okay for wool-sensitive people, but I can't figure out why else Aquaphor aggrivates me.