PDA

View Full Version : What automatically triggers a grocery run at your house?

Sillygirl
04-12-2010, 11:30 PM
We can never run out of the following:

Cheerios (name brand)
Skim milk
OJ

Any of these running short means an automatic trip to the grocery store, no matter how busy or what the weather is like or anything else.

Almost everything else is negotiable, but mostly because I'm able to stash a loaf of bread in the freezer for emergencies.

What are your must-haves?

baymom
04-12-2010, 11:31 PM
For us, it's just milk. must.have.milk.at.all.times!

infomama
04-12-2010, 11:34 PM
Milk, juice and of course coffee...must.have.coffee

bubbaray
04-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Milk. And tea for me. And bread. Where does all the bread go? I buy loaves and loaves and LOAVES at Costco and I swear, they just disappear.

ciw
04-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Milk and bananas. They are usually the first two words out of my two-year-old's mouth in the morning. He wakes up hungry and nothing else will do. He's allergic to eggs so those are out. He'll eat yogurt, cereal or pancakes WITH his bananas but don't even think about asking him to eat them INSTEAD of the bananas. I need a banana tree!

Penny's Pappa
04-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Milk, eggs, and now...diapers.

lalasmama
04-13-2010, 12:10 AM
Caffeine and only caffeine. Sad, huh?

Lala doesn't get plain milk (she's Failurure-to-thrive, so Pediasure is used in place of any milk). We don't need to discuss my digestive health with dairy products.... and nothing else is a "OMG! Gotta get to the store!"... We don't do much bread, we don't do eggs.

crl
04-13-2010, 12:24 AM
DH will go for diet soda.

Used to be chocolate soy milk for DS, but he will now drink the plain whole grain milk from TJs in a pinch--but only once or twice. Eggs are pretty high priority.

Toilet paper would be, but as DH has pointed out, in our 14 years of marriage I have never let us run out of toilet paper.

Catherine

elektra
04-13-2010, 12:46 AM
DH must have his coffeemate creamer (hazelnut, lowfat). It's a good thing it has tons of preservatives and such that allow us to buy it in bulk! ;) That, milk and diapers are the only things we run out for at the last minute.

Piglet
04-13-2010, 01:01 AM
Milk
Coffee (if I am home, otherwise I am a Starbucks girl)
Pull-Ups for DS2

salsah
04-13-2010, 01:05 AM
there is nothing that we would run out for immediately. but that is partially because we are good about stocking (especially non-food items and those things that we wouldn't want to run out of, like toilet paper, diapers, tampons).
there are some things that, if we ran out, we would try to get the store for them w/in a couple of days, even make a special trip for. those things would be fresh fruit, milk, bread . . . that is all that comes to mind now.

MMMommy
04-13-2010, 01:11 AM
Milk and fresh fruit. But milk is the big one for us. I always feel like I have to have it at all times, readily available for DDs.

egoldber
04-13-2010, 05:45 AM
Milk, eggs and coffee.

klwa
04-13-2010, 06:33 AM
Generally milk is the only thing I have to RUN to the store for.

maestramommy
04-13-2010, 06:52 AM
coffee or coffee filters

Good grief, I think that's it. Everything else could wait a day or two unless I really had nothing else to do.

SnuggleBuggles
04-13-2010, 08:00 AM
Milk is the only emergency.

Beth

JBaxter
04-13-2010, 08:08 AM
Milk and coffee

aa2mama
04-13-2010, 08:12 AM
COFFEE!!!
milk & soymilk
eggs
bread & peanut butter
tortillas & hashbrown patties

wellyes
04-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Bananas.

There is always SOME milk around because, ridiculously enough, we 3 people in our house drink 3 different types. Organic whole for DD, organic skim for me, regular 2% (with added lactose drops) for DH.

elliput
04-13-2010, 08:41 AM
I'm gonna answer for my DH since he does most of the grocery shopping- diet soda. :irked: It seems like we could be using the last of something that we only need to buy a couple times a year and he's ready to hop in the car and get more even though we may not need that item for months.

KrisM
04-13-2010, 08:43 AM
I can't think of anything. I have enough of a stockpile of dry food, that we can do something with something for a meal. If we're out of fruit/milk/bread, yes I get some, but I'll wait until it's a good time to go. I've sent sandwiches to school on hot dog buns before and DS doesn't care.

momof2girls
04-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Milk! I usually have from 2-3 gallons in our spare fridge after I do a Costco run.

trales
04-13-2010, 08:49 AM
I keep boxed UHT milk in the basement for power outages and times when are out, mostly it goes bad before we run out.

Fruit is the big thing here.

arivecchi
04-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Milk
Diapers
TP

AnnieW625
04-13-2010, 11:12 AM
It used to be milk but since we stared having milk delivery service two years ago I can litterally go almost a week plus without going to the store, which I love and saves me money!

Today I have to go to the store and we need some chicken breasts, frozen lunches, apples, and probably should start stocking up on convenience meals from Trader Joe's. DH will tell me as soon as we are out of soda, but he can usually wait for that esp. now that he has fallen in love with Pepsi Throwback, no other soda tastes the same to him.

DebbieJ
04-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Nothing would necessitate an emergency run at our house.

We're out of milk? too bad, you can have oatmeal for breakfast.
No OJ? Then why didn't you write it on the list when you opened the last carton?

We never run out of TP cuz I buy it at Costco.
No need to run out for diapers/wipes cuz we use cloth.

If we're out of coffee or creamer, I just drive through McD's or Dunkin Donuts in the morning after dropping off DS1 at school.

catsnkid
04-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Milk, coffee, diet coke, frozen dinners

elephantmeg
04-13-2010, 11:41 AM
recently: dog food. DH can pick up milk on his way home (he works next to costco) so that's what we do mostly. I don't even think about milk anymore when I'm at the grocery store 'cause it's cheaper and better at costco. So dog food is genereally it. DH fills the dog food container and he never tells me until we're like a day away from being ou that we're out. Err!

TwinFoxes
04-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Diapers and wipes (duh)
Coffee
Bananas (the girls eat them EVERY day)
Milk - but honestly the girls could go one day without milk, but I need it for my coffee. They're big water drinkers.

pb&j
04-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Milk. And coffee for DH. Dear god, please don't ever let us run out of coffee for DH!!

I grocery shop every Saturday. I also plan to go to the grocery store on my lunch hour to buy milk every Wednesday.

JoyNChrist
04-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Bananas for us too.

We can go a day or two without anything else, but DS cannot function without a steady supply of bananas. Saturday, he literally ate four bananas in a row. Could you eat four bananas at one time? I couldn't. I have no idea where his skinny little three-year-old self stores them.

gatorsmom
04-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Milk. I have some cloth diapers so if we run out of sposies I'll use cloth for awhile. I cna make my own wipes if necessary. And we can live without bread coffee, juice or anything else but we must have milk. Someone will be making a trip to the store if I find out we are suddenly running out. But that can be extremely inconvenient so I make sure it doesn't happen.

brittone2
04-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Produce. I usually have a good stash of frozen meat (we buy our grassfed beef by the half or quarter), frozen organic veggies (stock up a huge amount when they go on sale), etc. so we can usually get by with those. The thing we need to replenish the most is fresh produce.

My kids also really hate when we are without plain full fat greek yogurt. That's a fall-back breakfast, lunch or snack in our household. DH also takes it for lunch pretty often when we don't have leftovers available for lunch.

Cream/half and half and coffee is another one.

HIU8
04-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Milk
Peanut butter
Jelly
cheese it's
yogurt

AshleyAnn
04-13-2010, 12:56 PM
:bag: Diet Coke :bag:
Diapers and Wipes

We don't do milk here. I'm lactose intolerant and don't believe its the wonderful diet staple the dairy industry pushes people to believe.

m448
04-13-2010, 01:03 PM
fresh produce or eggs. We're usually okay for everything else (I keep canned evaporated milk for using in recipes in a pinch and the kids only drink milk straight in a smoothie or with granola/cheerios, we also don't drink so much straight).

Melaine
04-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Coffee/Creamer
Yogurt/Cheese
Milk/Produce

Twoboos
04-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Bread, Milk & Eggs. (Which coincidentally, is the name of the drive through convenience store I want to open!)

sarahsthreads
04-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Coffee. God forbid we ever run out of coffee in this house...no adult would be left able to drive to the store to get more!

Diapers and dog food are also pseudo-emergency. (Diapers are less of an emergency than the dog food. I have pull-ups leftover from DD1 that would fit DD2 in a pinch. Plus we have a little potty in the basement...we could always start bare baby booty potty camp if diapers suddenly disappeared from all the stores.)

Everything else mentioned (milk, cereal, bread, bananas, etc.) can wait a day or two or three - the kids are certainly happier if they're on hand, but I have enough stuff in the pantry including the raw ingredients for things like bread or biscuits at all times that we certainly wouldn't need to endanger our lives going out in a blizzard to get those things. But coffee? The roads would have to be closed for us to not run out and get more. (DH and I might have a slight caffeine addiction, no?)

Sarah :)

DrSally
04-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Yes:

Bread and soybutter (DS has a soybutter and jam sandwhich for lunch about 5 days a week. We start to get itchy around here if there's no bread/bagels/english muffins or soybutter. Jam is stocked in the pantry). Also, diapers.

Maybe:
milk (now that DS is off his cereal kick and we're not a big milk drinking family,we can wait a few days for milk)

Oatmeal squares cereal (DS used to eat this and only this for breakfast every day)

DrSally
04-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Bread, Milk & Eggs. (Which coincidentally, is the name of the drive through convenience store I want to open!)

:rotflmao:

You should add diapers to the name.