PDA

View Full Version : Any Muslims here? I have a ? re: animal motifs.

sariana
04-13-2010, 01:54 AM
Would it be offensive to give someone who practices the Muslim faith a baby blanket with animal prints on it? I seem to remember learning that Islamic art does not use the human form or animal forms because only Allah can create a living creature.

I bought someone a baby gift, without thinking about how one of the blankets has animals on it. Should that blanket be removed from the package, or will the family simply choose not to use it if it is a problem?

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

nmosur
04-13-2010, 10:11 AM
I have many muslim friends and I would give it to them without thinking twice. As far as I know, people who follow the faith strictly will not have their pictures taken. And like you said, they will just not use it if they have any issues.

citymama
04-13-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm not a Muslim, but I have several friends who are - but none of them are in the slightest bit conservative. I can't imagine they would have a problem with it, but it depends on the recipient I guess. Are these American born urban Muslims or someone who has recently emigrated? I think the first group would have no problem with it; with the second, maybe avoid?

sariana
04-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Sorry, they are Pakistani and live in Pakistan. Not American at all, but the father works as the cook for members of the U.S. military, so he certainly is exposed to Americans (including my DH, who is the one giving the gift).

I'm thinking it might be a case of "it's the thought that counts"? My DH certainly didn't know anything about the animal issue. I know only because I taught humanities years ago, including the Middle Ages and rise of Islam.

nmosur
04-13-2010, 02:26 PM
I am from India - a very close sibling to Pakistan :-) You will be suprised at the enthusiasm with which the gift might be received in Pakistan. Go ahead and give it. Unless they are someplace where the Taliban might be dictating even what the babies wear/use, the family will use it.

citymama
04-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Ah, now I remember the story about the Pakistani family you are buying a gift for. Honestly, I wouldn't get the animals blanket for them in that case. It's easy enough to get blankets with stripes or polka dots or something else, which is the way to go in this case.

sariana
04-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Yeah, but it was a 4-pack that I already bought and shipped to DH. My question is whether we should leave the 4-pack intact or separate them and remove the one? I sent a gift bag with tissue paper, too, so it wouldn't necessarily be a big deal to put the blankets in separately, out of their packaging.

The one blanket has (IIRC) alphabet letters and kiddie-style animals on it. I have read that stylized animals are okay, but I don't know what qualifies as stylized.

I'm think maybe I'm stressing way too much about this. If he doesn't like it, he'll just not use it, I would think. I don't think he would expect the residents of the house to know his specific religious beliefs.

niccig
04-13-2010, 04:50 PM
I think it will be fine. If they don't want to use it, they won't use it. I think it's very nice gesture for your family to be giving a gift at all, and it will be received with much thanks and gratitude by the family.

citymama
04-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Yeah, but it was a 4-pack that I already bought and shipped to DH. My question is whether we should leave the 4-pack intact or separate them and remove the one? I sent a gift bag with tissue paper, too, so it wouldn't necessarily be a big deal to put the blankets in separately, out of their packaging.

The one blanket has (IIRC) alphabet letters and kiddie-style animals on it. I have read that stylized animals are okay, but I don't know what qualifies as stylized.

I'm think maybe I'm stressing way too much about this. If he doesn't like it, he'll just not use it, I would think. I don't think he would expect the residents of the house to know his specific religious beliefs.

In that case, I wouldn't worry about it at all! I thought you were choosing between one kind or the other. This sounds completely fine.