PDA

View Full Version : Childrens bedrooms

JBaxter
04-13-2010, 08:11 AM
DO each of your children have their own bedroom?

We finished off our basement and put a 5th bedroom w/ 3/4 bath for my oldest ( who was a teen at the time. I was wondering if you have enough bedrooms for each of your children or if you were planning on them sharing.

My oldest 2 shared when they were really little but it was like putting 2 cans in a pillow case.

caleymama
04-13-2010, 08:19 AM
My girls share a bedroom.

I grew up with my own room and never really envisioned my kids sharing a room, but when we were house hunting 3.5 years ago, we stumbled on this house and decided we could make it work. It's 2 bedrooms and 1.5 baths - the "master" (small bedroom) is downstairs, as well as the full bath. The entire upstairs is the girls' room, which is quite big, plus a half bath. There are times I love it and times I don't and I think they'd say the same thing (they are 7.5 and 5 now). The only drawback is lack of a dedicated guest room or even another room that could be used for guests. The previous owners had plans drawn up for an addition that would enlarge the upstairs but it's not likely that we'll do that any time soon, if ever. They gave us the plans when we bought the house, but the addition is not in the cards financially for us.

o_mom
04-13-2010, 08:27 AM
Right now the older two share, baby has his own and we have a guest room. I'm planning on two of them sharing until they are old enough that they can handle sleeping elsewhere when we have guests. I'm not opposed to giving each their own room eventually, but I don't think they need one at this point.

MoJo
04-13-2010, 08:34 AM
We have enough rooms, but I plan on our DDs sharing a room.

I shared a room with my sibs most of the time growing up. My friends with older daughters say they frequently ASK to share a room, even though their home has enough rooms for them to have their own.

When they are teens, I expect they will want & get their own.

But FYI, I think in my area it's actually illegal to have a bedroom in a basement unless the windows are big enough and accessible enough to escape in case of fire.

JBaxter
04-13-2010, 08:37 AM
But FYI, I think in my area it's actually illegal to have a bedroom in a basement unless the windows are big enough and accessible enough to escape in case of fire.

Its not illegal you just cant call it a bedroom. There are 2 windows in his bedroom and a walk out in the other part of the basement.

momof2girls
04-13-2010, 08:43 AM
My DDs have their own rooms and DD#1 has made it clear she does not want to share a room (she's 7 and DD2 is almost 5).

I chose to share a room with my sister until I was about 8 when I chose to move to the spare room. We had lots of fun sharing a room but I eventually felt the need for my own space.

billysmommy
04-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Our boys (almost 7 and 4) share a bedroom.
Our house has 2 huge bedrooms on the 2nd floor. They each have a queen size bed with a nightstand and that doesn't even take up half the room. The other half of the room has an 8x10 rug, a kids table and chair set, a 12 foot long bookshelf running under the windows with a tall bookshelf on each side and Ds1's desk.

There was a small unfinished attic off their room which DH and I finished just after Christmas and that's where their Legos, Duplos, Plan city and train tracks are.

In a few years we will be re-doing the upstairs and they will each have their own room but for now it works and they love it.

Jo..
04-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Right now the whole family shares a bedroom, and usually a bed. :rotflmao:

We live in a modest 3 BR house, so both kids will eventually have their own bedroom, but I'm planning on having them share for several years when they finally leave our room. I think they will get their own bedrooms at around ages 5 and 7. So I have several years before I have to worry about giving up and redecorating my office.

egoldber
04-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Each kid has their own room, but I have considered putting them together because I think they would enjoy it.

I was hesitant to do it before because younger DD was such an awful, awful sleeper. But, miracle of miracles, she has transformed into an excellent sleeper in the last few months.

ETA: I grew up in a 3 bedroom house with one brother and 2 sisters. I always shared with my sisters, because there was no option. I really never thought about it.

belovedgandp
04-13-2010, 09:05 AM
We have a 4 bedrooms, but with use one as an office. It would be a real pain to give up the office at this point in time. There isn't a good place to move it to in this house. We ever so rarely have guests, so that's not a real issue.

The two boys have been sharing for about 6 months. Baby is in own room. Boys were 2 1/2 and 5 1/2 when they moved in together. They were excited about it and still love it. My plan is to move in 5 to 8 years. I'll give them the choice then to continue sharing or get their own rooms. One of the things I want in our next house is an office area in the main living area or close to get the computer out of a bedroom.

Momof3Labs
04-13-2010, 09:11 AM
We have 3 bedrooms on the upper level. Boys share and girls share. There is an office/bedroom on the main level but I wouldn't put kids in there due to proximity to the front door (and we wouldn't go there as I refuse to give up our master suite). We could eventually put bedrooms in the basement if we wanted. We have no guest room and no need for one at this time.

fivi2
04-13-2010, 09:24 AM
We live in a 2 bd house, so the girls share (twins). Part of me likes it, but part of me wants to give them the chance to have a little private space. I am not sure what will happen in the future. If we move to a 3 bd, they will likely still share (the 3rd bedroom would be guestroom/office/playroom), but if we ever went bigger, I would probably give them the choice. I did not share with my sister growing up.

boolady
04-13-2010, 09:27 AM
We only have DD so far, but I would not have a problem with her sharing with a sibling (after a certain age, probably a sister only). We just don't need a huge house, so depending on the available space, I don't see why they couldn't share.

secchick
04-13-2010, 09:39 AM
We built our house (on our own lot in the city) and selected our floor plan on the assumption of 3 kids, each with their own room. So we ended up with a 5 BR house (but the guest room on the 1st floor is small and really only has the bed and a side table) and the kids rooms aren't huge (12x14 each or so) but they can easily fit a double bed, book case, and 2 dressers. 2 share a jack-and-jill bath and the third has its own (so boys/girls won't have to share a bathroom), and the master, kids rooms, and game room/second living area are all on the 2nd floor. It works for us, and we plan on staying here until the kids are all out on their own and we retire.

JoyNChrist
04-13-2010, 09:57 AM
I always assumed our kid would share rooms, but DH (a middle child) is firmly against it (I'm an only child so it was never an issue for me). He shared with his brother for most of his life and hated it (of course, IMO, that might have something to do with BIL's personality ;)). DH doesn't even want the twins to share a room at first - I told him he's insane if he expects me to set up two nurseries and stumble into two different rooms in the middle of the night.

The house we're moving into is 4 bedrooms. We plan to have DS in one and the twins in another for the first year or so, then either move each of the babies into their own room, or have DS 1 & 2 share and DD have her own room (assuming they're right and we're having boy/girl twins), so that we can still have a guest room/office. We eventually (thinking 5-7 years from now) plan to add on a master suite, so then the house will be 5 bedrooms and each kid can have his/her own room and we'll still have the office/guest room. And all that's assuming, of course, that we don't have any more kiddos.

baymom
04-13-2010, 10:15 AM
My kids share, even though we have an extra room and they don't need to. At this point, they really love it and don't want to separate (ages 4 & 5)...in fact, we use that as a threat if they won't go to sleep...."Do we need to move one of you to their own bedroom?!"....and it works every time! :-) But, I'm not sure how long this will last since they are of different genders. I grew up always having my own room and personally, I think it's very sweet for kids to share a bedroom. It seems to really build a bond and make them feel secure about sleeping away from us.

AnnieW625
04-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Yes my two children will have their own bedroom, DH is insisting on it. We have given up our office.

FWIW I shared a room with my brother for about a year from the time he was 1 until he was 2 (my parents moved him when I started kindergarten I think) and then yrs. later with my sister who is 10 yrs. younger than me from the time she was 12 mos. old until (I was 11) I was 20 and moved away to college. It worked out fine and it was good training for living away from home and in college dorms/apartments where I lived with 7 different girls in the 4 semesters I lived there. I figured everything college room mate wise was easier than dealing with an elementary school student.

DH and his brother are 5 yrs. apart and DH says that it was mass chaos when they had to share a room for a number of months when DH was 9/10 and BIL was 14/15 so he says that he never wants to have our kids go through that themselves if we can avoid it.

maestramommy
04-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Currently Dora and Arwyn share a room. Laurel is in the guest room, and we're hoping she will eventually be able to move in with the other two. We have 4 bedrooms, but the tiny one is an office, and we do have visitors pretty often now, so we like to keep the guest room. Our plan is to have the girls pretty much just sleep in the bedroom, and do everything else in other parts of the house (study, play, hang out). If one of them really starts angling for her own room when they are older we will turn the study into a single.

If we had 4 girls, we'd probably put them two to a room.

mariza
04-13-2010, 11:27 AM
5 yo DD and 3.5 yo DS share a room. It was supposed to be temporary when we bought this house 2 years ago, but they don't want to split up. We have a 3 bedroom in a split level ranch, so the master and 2nd bedroom are on the main living floor and the 3rd bedroom is on the "basement floor". It has 2 big bright windows and a small closet that really is not very deep so full sized hangers are an issue. I prefer DS goes in this room since DD loves dresses and clothing storage just works better for boy clothes in the downstairs room. Besides, it is next to the playroom/living room so he doesn't have far to go to get to his trains :)
Right now the "extra" bedroom is being used by our babysitter that needed a place for a few months, but we are getting ready to tell her she needs to be out bu June 1st. DD starts Kindy in September and I would really like to have the kids in their own rooms by then. I figure we can use the summer to paint and decorate.
Growing up my brother and I shared until I was about 6 then I moved to my own, I don't remember ever complaining about sharing with him, but I guess my Mom figured it was time to move us. I kind of like that it fosters a kind of "us (kids) against "them" (parents) spirit. As thy get older I know they won't always want to talk to us about problems, but hopefully they will bond enough now to be friends and trust each other as they grow up. My brother and I are each others best friend as adults even though we are 3 years apart. DD & DS are 20 months apart so they are already bonded much closer at this age then we were.

infocrazy
04-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Right now the older two share, baby has his own and we have a guest room. I'm planning on two of them sharing until they are old enough that they can handle sleeping elsewhere when we have guests. I'm not opposed to giving each their own room eventually, but I don't think they need one at this point.

:yeahthat: Us exactly. The boys love sharing at this point. DS1 slept in a cousin's room on a trip once and ended up coming back with us because DS2 would be lonely. :heartbeat:

ezcc
04-13-2010, 12:42 PM
DS 7 and DD 4 share a room and really like it. It's been nothing but positive for us.

Melaine
04-13-2010, 01:23 PM
DDs share and I have no plans to separate them any time soon. They would FREAK out if we tried. Maybe when they are much much older and want to have their own rooms.

I shared a room with my sister (9.5 years younger than me) growing up and my brothers (4 years apart) shared all growing up. I shared with my brother for awhile before the other two came along. We had fun, it wasn't a big deal. There was plenty of other places around the house to spread out when we wanted our own space.

WatchingThemGrow
04-13-2010, 01:47 PM
2 diapered boys in cribs in one room, 1 PTed girl in the other. We're hoping to move DS1 to his twin bed in the shared room soon, but we'll have to see how he does. I don't want him bothering DS2, but the furniture place keeps calling to ask if we're ready to get our bed delivered.

SnuggleBuggles
04-13-2010, 01:49 PM
They are in separate rooms now but I am toying with putting them together when ds2 is done with his crib. Ds1 is dying to share a room with him. I had been planning on a room swap when ds2 was done with the crib originally. Ds1 was going to have a much smaller room but I was going to get him a loft bed. ds2 would appreciate the cool mural in ds1's room more so it was all set. Then I though maybe we could do bunkbeds and let ds2 have the bottom bunk and the other room would be a play room. I will never make them share since we have enough bedrooms for everyone. But, so long as they want to and it is working out well then I will let them share.

Beth

LarsMal
04-13-2010, 02:00 PM
My kids have their own rooms right now...whether or not they stay in them all night is another question! I wouldn't be surprised if my girls end up sharing a room some day. I just wanted to make sure they had the option of having their own space should we be in this house for a long time.

wencit
04-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Right now, DS1 is in his own room, and DS2 is in a crib in our master bedroom. I hate it. DS2 wakes up at any tiny little noise, so more often than not, DH is stuck sleeping on the couch downstairs because he can't for the life of him figure out how to open the bedroom door without waking up DS2. I wouldn't mind having DS1 and DS2 share a room, but I can't figure out the logistics of it, with the baby going to sleep at 6:30PM and big brother going to sleep at 7:30PM. There is NO WAY DS1 would go to sleep quietly in the room without waking up DS2. Sigh. Maybe when DS2 is older and can sleep through more noise. In the meantime, I miss my previous house with 4 bedrooms -- aaaaah!

smilequeen
04-13-2010, 02:08 PM
My boys have their own rooms with a jack and jill bath between them. They like to sleep in the same room though. It ends up being like they have a suite since they'll play in DS1 room and we read bedtime stories in there and then we move to DS2 room to go to sleep. We have a guest bedroom in our walkout basement and we have another bedroom upstairs with the boys that is unused (except that it is where everything I wasn't sure what to do with landed when we moved :)). My oldest son tells everyone that's his baby's room. He really wants us to have another baby :) So, if we have a 3rd he/she will have their own room but where he/she would sleep is a whole different question.

newg
04-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Each kid will have her own room. We need a guest room because all of DH's family is out of town and my mom frequently stays over when DH has to travel.
This is one of the reasons we bought the new house..........to have four bedrooms. DH uses the living room as his office; so it's a win-win for all of us.
The rooms are average 12x12, but will grow nicely with the girls.

codex57
04-13-2010, 03:12 PM
They have their own room, but some nights, all 4 of us end up in the same bed.

Our friends have separate rooms for their two boys, but they're in the process of moving them into the same room and turning the extra room into a playroom.

smiles33
04-13-2010, 04:02 PM
They are in separate rooms now but I am toying with putting them together when ds2 is done with his crib. Ds1 is dying to share a room with him. ...Then I thought maybe we could do bunkbeds and let ds2 have the bottom bunk and the other room would be a play room. I will never make them share since we have enough bedrooms for everyone. But, so long as they want to and it is working out well then I will let them share.

:yeahthat: except I have DDs!

The thing is, I have DD1 in a full-sized bed and her room isn't big enough for a second bed. Her room is bigger than DD2's nursery, though. So I'd have to get rid of the full-sized and get a bunk bed. It's just that DD1's room furniture matches so nicely (and was a great deal on CL for only $50!). We'll have to see. Maybe they'll still formally have their own rooms and DD2 can just have sleepovers in DD1's bed occasionally?

craftysierra
04-13-2010, 04:44 PM
My kids by choice sleep together. We have 3 functional bedrooms (4th is storage room right now). So my 3 older kids have 3 beds to choose from and normally choose to all sleep in the same one... Normally the twin vs the full. I figure if they sleep I am happy!

Sierra

hillview
04-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Both boys have their own room. Now they room together but have the flexibility to move back.
/hillary

kijip
04-13-2010, 07:06 PM
They will share. Our third bedroom is way smaller and on a different level of the house so it only makes sense for them to share. For now though, F is 1 year old and sleeps in a PNP which is in the alcove of our third floor, where the bedrooms and main bathroom is. His bed was in our room but now he is on the alcove and eventually we will move him to the room T is in.

We co-slept for most of F's first year. Toby was in bed with us or in our room on and off (mostly on) for most of his first 5 years.

Cam&Clay
04-13-2010, 07:22 PM
We have 5 bedrooms (well, 4 and a cave in the basement). DS1 has a huge room. DS2 has the smallest room. We have a guest room and the room in the basement is just for storage now.

The plan is when DS1 goes off to college in 7 years, we will make them switch rooms. It's only fair that DS2 gets the big room while DS1 is away and only home on weekends.

infomama
04-13-2010, 09:46 PM
They each have their own bedroom but dd1 is begging me to let them have sleepovers in each others rooms. I have been telling her no because she is such a twisty sleeper I worry about her covering dd2s face with her arm or something. I'm such a worry wart.

mommyp
04-13-2010, 11:36 PM
We have 3 bedrooms and 1 is a fair bit smaller so is the office now. If we have another, they'll be sharing! Until they are older and want their own space, then we'll reorganize.

s7714
04-13-2010, 11:59 PM
My 4 and 7 year olds had separate bedrooms up until the middle of last year. We were going to have a constant stream of house guests for several months so we moved them into the same room (bunked their beds). It worked out so well that they're still sharing a room. We're planning on leaving them like that for a long time, even though we do have enough rooms. I'm kind of liking having an actual guest room that doesn't double as a kid room!

LexyLou
04-14-2010, 01:58 AM
We have a 4 bedroom house but the 4th bedroom is on the main floor and it's our play room.

We have 3 bedrooms upstairs + a small office off the master. Right now each girl has their own room but if we decide to have 3, which DH is pushing for big time, then there will have to be sharing of some sort going on.

nfowife
04-14-2010, 05:52 AM
My kids each have their own rooms. They've never asked to share, but they do share when we travel (which is frequent- once a month or so) and it isn't a problem.
If they wanted to share I don't think I would have a problem but I'm happy with them in separate rooms for now. They get along well and play together too.
We've never really coslept except with DS when he was a newborn, and that was when DH was out of town.

elephantmeg
04-14-2010, 06:20 AM
they share a room for now. We built a modular and still haven't finished the upstairs (we're not quite half way) so we're hoping by the time DS is 5 we will have it done and he can move upstairs. I'm a little worried about having him upstairs by himself! The master is downstairs. Upstairs will be a huge office/den area a 1/2 bath and DS' room.