PDA

View Full Version : s/o: what do you buy in bulk?

AnnieW625
04-13-2010, 11:16 AM
The other store post got me thinking about having to run out and buy TP; that hasn't happened to us in a very long time as we buy it in bulk from Costco.
for us it's:
toilet paper
paper towels
soy milk by the case (although not mandatory as we often do get it at the normal store)
Dove soap
Venus razor blades
pull ups
diaper wipes
canned diced tomatoes
tomato paste
canned tomato sauce
canned peaches
canned pineapple
large 4 pack of apple sauce

catsnkid
04-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Diapers, wipes, spaghetti, spaghetti sauce, kitty litter, cat food, coffee, laundry/cleaning products, frozen food, shampoo, razor blades, canned air, soup, frequently used OTC medication (claritan, tylenol, vitamins).

DebbieJ
04-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Tp and coffee are about the only things I must buy in bulk at Costco. For most other things, I watch sales/coupons and am able to get it way cheaper that way or I buy it at Aldi.

I would buy paper towels there, but I love the Bounty select a size and my Costco doesn't carry them.

brittone2
04-13-2010, 12:36 PM
We buy grassfed beef by the half or quarter from someone locally.

TP from costco even though it is often cheaper elsewhere. However, we don't really shop at a "regular" grocery store. Primarily our local co-op grocery (no bulk TP there) or Costco. I hate running out so we just buy the big package.

anything we use regularly that goes on sale for a really good price. In the fall/winter if organic frozen veggies go on sale, I stock up. Sometimes my co-op has a sale and then a coupon available as well. I might buy 20 packages or more of frozen veggies at that time.

I order 1-2x a year from Frontier with my mom and a few other people. So I may get several bottles of shampoo, conditioner, bulk sized bag of organic English Breakfast tea, a huge bulk sized bag of Rooibos tea (my kids love this and it is naturally decaf. They like it hot or iced), a few bottles of body soap, etc. So some of our personal care products are ordered in bulk. Free shipping on big orders so I just order 1-2x a year.

DH has a peanut butter addiction and when we go to TJs we usually buy like 4-6 jars of the organic valencia peanut butter. Good price, and I like that is not just organic, but from valencia peanuts (lower amount of aflatoxin).

eta: charlie's soap. My mom and I split the huge bucket.
certain seasonal items at costco. We love the coleman bacon and coleman hotdogs but they aren't available in our area year round, so when they are out we'll buy several packages and freeze so we have enough to last through most of the year. The price is better than my co-op grocery's for the same type of item so we buy in bulk when they are available.

scrooks
04-13-2010, 12:39 PM
TP and paper towels are the big things...
At Sam's/ Costco we also consistently get laundry detergent, diapers, dishwashing soap, ketchup, mayo, some cereals, olive oil, coffee....

m448
04-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Everything except eggs and fresh veggies. :D

Like Beth we get our beef in bulk from a local supplier (although we mostly buy ground beef) and fill up our chest freezer in the garage about 100-200lbs at a time. I stock up a little less but still enough on chicken breasts when they go on sale at my grocery store and they go in the same freezer.

I order flours/grains from a local grain coop so I usually order 50lb bags of white wheat flour (I store those in the freezer) and about 2 50lb bags of natural white flour. I blend them depending on the recipe. We have a standing freezer in the garage where I store the wheat flour, frozen fruit (stock up on those when on sale but I also freeze peaches, blueberries and strawberries that I buy in season in bulk and pack in foodsaver bags). Also in the standing freezer we keep at least 6 loaves of sliced bread to pull out as needed.

I'm typically always stocked up from BJs for tomato sauce, tomato paste, then the grocery store for whole tomatoes, canned and dried beans. I stock up on old fashioned oats, brown, powdered and granulated sugar. I keep at least 3-4 packs (4lbs each) of the butter from BJs or Costcos in the freezer. I also stock up on cocoa powder, chocolate chips, rice (we buy the large bags and keep the rice in airtight pails). We buy the TP in bulk but it doesn't last long. One of DH's quirks.

Basically I try to stock up when I get things on sale, get a good price as the bulk stores or have a coupon + sale. Then I try to always restock when we're down to the last or second to the last box in our pantry/garage.

Indianamom2
04-13-2010, 01:27 PM
I typically buy:

toilet paper
paper towels
trash bags
laundry detergent/fabric softener
household cleaning items (like WetJet pad refills/liquid, clorox wipes, etc.)
liquid plumber (stupid post-partum hair loss...)
ketchup
diapers
wipes

There might be more, but those are the typical items.

TwoBees
04-13-2010, 01:32 PM
tp
paper towels
tissues
alum foil
trash bags
dishwasher soap
laundry detergent
ziploc bags
napkins
plastic cups
paper plates
spaghetti
spaghetti sauce
rice
cereal
ketchup
beef
chicken
yogurt
hot dogs
OJ
bath soap
razor blades
shaving cream

wow, that's a lot more than I realized

SnuggleBuggles
04-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Toilet paper and paper towels. That's all I really need.

Beth

squimp
04-13-2010, 01:42 PM
From Costco:
TP
Pacific Chicken Broth and creamy tomato soup
Annie's Mac&Cheese
Toothbrushes
Canon printer ink (looking for a better price)
French feta cheese - thaws nicely
Crackers
Frozen organic peas and corn
Lingling panda dumplings (DD is an addict)

From cheapo grocery store:
Pasta (spaghetti, macaroni, penne, orzo)
HFCS-free cran-raspberry juice
Frozen chicken breasts
Canned chopped tomatoes

From our local foods co-op:
Equal Exchange coffee

We also get grass-fed lamb from our friends farm and fill the freezer with that.

maestramommy
04-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Toilet paper
Paper towels
bath soap (dove in bars)
wipes
cans/jars of tomato sauce whenever it's really on sale
same with Barilla pasta. Like when it's $1/box
Morningstar veggie bacon
kid's dental floss
coffee filters
peanut butter from TJs
Castille soap from TJs
Charlies laundry soap powder
Biokleen's Bac-out

I'd buy formula in bulk but I never see it at the Target. They never seem to have anything bigger than that square can.

jse107
04-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Toilet paper
Paper towl
OJ
Chicken (from Costco)
Shredded cheese
Cheese sticks
Allergy meds.
Deoderant
Diapers
Wipes