PDA

View Full Version : if house seems "perfect," except for outside, would you consider?

lmh2402
04-13-2010, 01:56 PM
we've been house hunting like crazy. we recently walked away from an accepted offer b/c we decided the home needed more work than we were willing to commit to. BUT...the appearance of that house was like my dream house...beautiful, big wraparound porch, gorgeous details, beautiful landscaping, etc, etc

we saw another house this weekend that is at a slightly lower price point. and has been recently updated, so we wouldn't need to worry about wiring or plumbing, all the windows were replaced, C A/C installed, updated eat-in kitchen, etc, etc.

the house is slighly smaller, but still more than ample for our needs. it's one block to the elementary school. walking distance to the train for my husband. walking distance to some shops for me and my need to walk. i love the interior layout...especially of the first floor.

so all in all, it "seems" perfect, except i just don't love the look from the outside. it's half brick (on the bottom) then the top is clapboard or siding...i'm not even sure. i don't know...it's not that it's ugly. and it is beautifully maintained - not at all shoddy, lovely landscaping. it's just...not what i envisioned my home would look like. KWIM?

i'm really struggling. DH wants to put offer. i feel like my head knows it's a good house to offer on...but my heart is...crying for the other house.

have you bought a home you didn't initially love, but you are now happy with your choice? or is this a big enough deal to walk away, IYO?

thanks

sunshine873
04-13-2010, 02:02 PM
It sounds like the house and location are perfect, you just don't like the exterior, right? Is that something that you could change? I mean, different siding, brick, stone-work or something like that? Maybe if you knew you could change it at some point that might help.

Twoboos
04-13-2010, 02:04 PM
You can change the LOOK of anything, but you cannot change the location. Sounds like the location is ideal! I'd go for it. (But from someone in a nice house and I do not like the location at all. DH keeps saying we can do all these updates/changes - which still won't change the location!)

SnuggleBuggles
04-13-2010, 02:07 PM
That is something you can fix. Layout and location are harder to fix and since you really like them it sounds like you should overlook the exterior. You are saving $ from not having to do the other projects so you can eventually make the exterior what you want. We are in the process of making our house more of our dream house over time. That's the nice thing about owning it- we can just keep doing things to make them our own.

eta- I still don't love the exterior of our house but loved everything else about it. I probably should have said that before! I too long for a wrap around porch and some other things. But, I don't look at the outside of my house nearly as much as the inside so I care(d) far more about that!
Beth

lowrioh
04-13-2010, 02:11 PM
When we stepped foot into our current house we knew it was "the one". The location and the interior layout were perfect for us. The outside of the house is blah...nothing terrible but nothing to get excited about either. I looked at other houses in the area that had different windows/brick/siding/roof color combinations and I found one I really liked.

I have absolutely no regrets about buying the house.

AnnieW625
04-13-2010, 02:15 PM
I chose our house because even though it is classic 1950s tract house it looks very different from the rest of the houses on the block. It's the only one on our side of the street with the same window layout (there are only 3 on our whole block of 30+ houses) and it's the only one on our entire block that has rocks on the front. It stands out and I really like that. DH wanted the model with the front bay window, but since we couldn't find a floor plan we really liked until we saw the house we have we decided that we could always change the front if either of us got really tired of it. The rocks are great because I just tell people our house is the only on the street with rocks on the front.

I will say that sometimes I do regret buying our house because it was a tad over our target price range, but overall we are both glad that we did it.

LarsMal
04-13-2010, 02:15 PM
My ILs live in a home that is kind of bleh on the outside, but the inside is lovely- and their backyard is amazing. They have made some small changes to the front that have made it look a bit better. I think they could do even more, but they aren't that bothered by it.

I would definitely consider it. You can always make changes- big or small- to give it better curb appeal.

arivecchi
04-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Great location + great layout + below budget sounds like a winner. Can you get an estimate of how much it would cost to make changes to the outside that would improve its appearance?

maylips
04-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Have you ever watched HGTV's Curb Appeal? It's amazing what architects can do to change an exterior. It's pretty costly, usually, but I've seen episodes where they've made a 1950's trac ranch home turn into a arts and crafts style home that has loads of character. It can be done, so if you can save money on the sale, have your DH promise that the exterior is the first thing you can make changes to!

elektra
04-13-2010, 02:21 PM
I did not love our house from the outside at first, but it is awesome on the inside IMO and I have no regrets.
I actually came to really appreciate the type of architecture (mid century modern) and now I am a huge fan actually!

I am a sucker for porches too ;) but I really do not miss it with our house. The inside matters more IMO.

WatchingThemGrow
04-13-2010, 02:22 PM
May get flamed here, but could you paint the brick and the siding to make it look more uniform? Some blah houses in the next neighborhood over have been transformed by paint this way. DH loves painted brick, so we'll likely consider doing that if we find a blah house that has a great layout and location AND is below budget.

newg
We feel the front of our house is blah too..........but as pp have mentioned; we bought it for the location and layout and the great backyard.
DH and I love projects and doing stuff outside, so we're kinda excited about being able to make this house our own.......we're thinking a front porch, and some great landscaping is all we need in the front.

Are there other houses in the area that have the same front as the house you are looking at, but maybe have something you like?? You could take pictues and get some ideas on ways to improve the front...........even hold the pictures up next to the house you are looking at to see if you feel any different.

kristenk
Your situation sounds somewhat similar to mine. When we first looked at our house, there were several things that we really liked about the house but we freely admitted that the house was just sorta ugly. We loved the layout and the location - two things that are pretty hard to change. We definitely needed to update a lot. We looked at the house several times and drove by it even more. When we talked to my MIL about the house, she commented that the one thing that we really couldn't change was the location. That pretty much sold us.

Our house is a lot prettier now! We had a bad hail storm a year or two after we purchased our house, so we replaced the roof and changed the style a bit. DH has really gotten into gardening and the shrubs and flowers we added to the front really complement our funky brick. We also replaced our horrible front door.

I'm really glad that we purchased the house that we did. We can walk to a wonderful park, have a green belt behind our house and have our elem., middle and high schools well within walking distance.

I vote go for it!

lmh2402
04-13-2010, 02:43 PM
thanks so much, all

part of the issue that i'm not sure we'll be able to do much with the front of the house - the town is pretty tightly held in the grips of the historic commission and every. single. exterior change needs to vetted by a committee

plus, i think part of my issue is that i'm always going to love the look of a victorian, and/but i don't think you can turn a colonial into a victorian look-alike, right?

i am deeply sad about the lack of front porch

oh, and for the record, the backyard is a joke. the lot isn't even .25, which is the average we've been seeing. it's .2. and there is a pretty decent front yard, leaving the backyard...barely there. this is DH's biggest heartbreak. this is his equivalent issue to my front view image

but he says the park down the block makes the backyard (or lack thereof) ok by him

i've attached two shots - first of the house i don't love, second of the one i covet

tell the truth...honest truth...how bad is it?

i will delete shortly. i'm not even sure if it's possible, but please don't re-paste or link these

PHOTOS REMOVED

Momof3Labs
04-13-2010, 02:48 PM
It's not a Victorian, but I actually think that it looks nice in the photo. Not at all what I pictured from your description. Victorians are soooo expensive to paint - and it is a ton of maintenance as it needs to be done regularly, along with replacing any rotted wood and such. This house would be much, much lower maintenance on the exterior.

elektra
04-13-2010, 02:50 PM
It is not bad at all! I like it!
Yes the second one is definitely Victorian, and I do love that porch. But it would not be a deal breaker for me.

brittone2
wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me, especially after seeing the photos. No, it isn't your preferred style, but honestly, the exterior, etc. are fine IMO. Maybe not your personal taste, but if you love everything else...I personally would be willing to overlook my preferences for exterior, kwim?

boolady
It's not a Victorian, but I actually think that it looks nice in the photo. Not at all what I pictured from your description. Victorians are soooo expensive to paint - and it is a ton of maintenance as it needs to be done regularly, along with replacing any rotted wood and such. This house would be much, much lower maintenance on the exterior.

I agree. I really like it, maybe even better than the Victorian. I realize taste is individual, but there's no question that the colonial will always look classic.

SnuggleBuggles
04-13-2010, 02:52 PM
I think it is fine. It seems to fit with the other homes in the neighborhood. It is well landscaped. a park down the block is a huge plus, imo! I also agree with pp about the paint and maintenance. You never know how well they did the last paint job and it could start to break down quickly. I think so long as the backyard has room to kick a ball then it's all good. I like the house you aren't as drawn to.

Beth

Indianamom2
04-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Great location + great layout + below budget sounds like a winner. Can you get an estimate of how much it would cost to make changes to the outside that would improve its appearance?

:yeahthat:

Lanscaping, paint, siding options, etc...are all a lot more affordable than changing layout, wiring, plumbing, etc.

That being said, I can understand how you feel.

Oh, I just saw the pictures you posted. Honestly, they both look lovely. I too like the porch on the "dream house" but I think both houses have really lovely curb appeal, just different styles.

alexsmommy
04-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Ok, from your description of the "bleh" house, I expected something else. I too love the older Victorian look, but I also know from living around them they are tons of maintence to keep looking nice. Your "bleh" house is TONS better than the exterior of our current home, but as others said, we knew we could change the exterior, but we couldn't change the location and getting the bedrooms we wanted in our price range. I'd go for it.
Although, I disagree with your DH, a park, no matter how close, is not the same as a yard where you can be in the kitchen finishing up dinner while watching the kids in the backyard, or going in to change laundry loads etc and coming right back out. Still, I'd go for it, we have a small lot too and it's enough for the kid to have playspace.

arivecchi
04-13-2010, 02:57 PM
After seeing the pictures, I can see why you are so torn. The outside of the second one is amazing. However, if you have room in your budget for outside improvements for the colonial house and it is superior to the other house in all other respects, I would go for the colonial one. You can change the appearance of the house. Try not to get too emotionally attached to any house and make the decision that makes the most sense for your lifestyle and finances.

pinay
04-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Our house is 1/2 block away from the local park and a side entrance to the elementary school DD will be attending is right across the street from us- we totally chose our home for the location rather than the curb appeal. The house you don't like as much is very nice, I think I probably like it better than the Victorian that you prefer! It does sound like an ideal location and I think that it'll grow on you once it's yours (I know that's the case in our situation!)

sunshine873
04-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Personally, I like your bleh house better. :) But that's my opinion. It looks so much easier to care for - and I still like the looks of it too.

You need to be happy with what you buy, but coming from someone who is 30 minutes away from EVERYTHING, location will be a HUGE factor the next time we purchase a house.

WatchingThemGrow
04-13-2010, 03:03 PM
That's a beautiful house! I understand it's not what you dreamed of, but it sure does look nice and homey!

JMS
04-13-2010, 03:05 PM
I didn't get to read all the PPs but wanted to add that brick can be painted (usually white). I love brick but don't like the color of most bricks. Is painting a possibility? And maybe change the color of the shutters (if there are any)? If the rest is so great, I'd really have to seriously considering it.

sorry - just noticed the pictures.. I really like the brick house (actually more than the victorian) but that's just my opinion. It would be $$ but you could totally paint the brick and the siding also.

pinkmomagain
04-13-2010, 03:13 PM
I think your "bleh" house is lovely. I totally understand the appeal of a Victorian, though. However, I find that while I love Victorians from the outside, I find the rooms a bit small scale on the inside. I have similar feeling with Tudors...charming on the outside, dark feel on the inside.

I would have not problem buying the "bleh" house. But of course, you have to do what's right for you! GL

kcandz
04-13-2010, 03:26 PM
I live inside the house, not looking at it from outside, so that is always the much bigger priority to me. Does it have flow, air, sunlight? I see the inside, what, 85% of the time vs. 15% driving away and coming back? I am thinking of the front of the house, not playing in backyards. Not that I want something ugly but pleasant is fine by me.

gatorsmom
04-13-2010, 03:29 PM
The Victorian is beautiful, no doubt about that, but it looks like ALOT OF WORK. After a few years of spending all your extra time and cash working on it, i bet it won't seem like such a dream.

Considering all the other nice things you have said about the "bleh" house (which I actually really like), i'd go for that one. But that is just me. :)

lmh2402
04-13-2010, 03:33 PM
thanks, all!

you made me feel a lot better

i guess the "bleh" really isn't that bad

in fact, the two times i've seen it in person, i've gotten out of the car thinking, "oh, this is ok...it's actually kind of nice"

but as soon as i leave and i look at the picture, i think...yuck

well, we'll see

thanks again

SammyeGail
04-13-2010, 03:40 PM
I saw a House Hunters last night, if I can remember them correctly, the RE agent said he tries to remind sellers of the 3 L's, location, layout, lot size, not to worry about the 3 C's, colors, cleanliness(if someone's house is messy), oh crap, can't remember the 3rd, maybe it was cosmetic.

I personally love the 'blah' house. Those big windows downstairs are gorgeous! I was thinking it was like my neighbor across the street who has a low roof ranch that is 1/2 brick (like to your hip), the top siding. I've gotten used to looking at it but I really wish she would get rid of the hunter green water drains that are on each corner against the white siding, ugh.

I'm with WatchingThemGrow and live the look of painted brick too! You could do so much down the road with that house. Add a big front porch, (would hate to tear out that landscaping, but I've had a big front porch and miss it so much) repaint it the beautiful blue and white in the 'dream home' pic, new colors can make such a difference in the appearance.

Layout and Location get a huge :thumbsup: from me, and in my opinion I love the house!

lmh2402
04-13-2010, 07:02 PM
thank you, guys

we put an offer, so now we wait and see

DebbieJ
04-13-2010, 07:08 PM
We bought our home a year ago. I dislike the exterior of our home, but it is in a GREAT location for us--it's a two block walk to ds's school, and the interior layout and size are really good. I don't regret our purchase for a minute!

SammyeGail
04-13-2010, 07:47 PM
thank you, guys

Good luck!!

bigpassport
04-13-2010, 07:51 PM
I say go for it. I agree with PPs that layout and location are the priority. When you have the money and inclination someday, you can give the house a facelift.

WatchingThemGrow
04-13-2010, 07:51 PM
thank you, guys

Sooooo exciting!! I love that we can live vicariously through one another. A beautiful new home is so exciting! Keep us posted!

hillview
04-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Sounds awesome! I'd see if I could make it work. For me exterior wouldn't matter much.
/hillary

wellyes
04-13-2010, 08:35 PM
thank you, guys

Oh good, glad to see this, when I saw your OP I thought: what are you waiting for?!!??!??

I live in a house that is walk-to-the-train, walk-to-the-elementary school. It is awesome awesome awesome. Good luck.

WitMom
04-13-2010, 10:06 PM
We are going through the home buying process ourselves right now. I know how hard it is to find something that you like both inside and outside! Good luck with your offer.

kransden
04-13-2010, 11:18 PM
You can always change the exterior. Why can't you put that big wrap-around porch of your dreams on it??? If you ever watch those DIY show, they do some wow things with not a lot of money.

lmh2402
04-15-2010, 12:06 PM
i think...it seems...we have an accepted offer on the bleh house

i'm not sure if i should be :boogie:

or :cry:

for sure, i'm super scared :48:

i'm not sure i expected them to accept...now we really might leave the city

is there an i-feel-like-puking smiley...

my husband sounds similarly stunned

arivecchi
04-15-2010, 12:52 PM
I thought your DH really liked this house. No?

AnnieW625
04-15-2010, 01:00 PM
i'm not sure i expected them to accept...now we really might leave the city

is there an i-feel-like-puking smiley...

my husband sounds similarly stunned

But could you find a similarly priced house or townhouse in the city that you'd be just as happy with in the long run? I would go back to the house and visit again. Again it's hard to see yourself in a house that isn't cluttered with your stuff yet so also keep that in mind. Good luck and :grouphug:

LMPC
04-15-2010, 01:29 PM
There's a reason people say Location, Location, Location. Personally, I would kill for a house that was close to a school or a shop :)

In each of the houses I have lived (3 houses and 1 apt), I initially thought I "loved" certain things and was "so-so" about others. Once I got in there my opinions changed. I think if you like this many things about the house that maybe it's time to let go of the idea of living in the other one. KWIM?

GL with the rest of the process!! Tell us how it ends up!

lmh2402
04-15-2010, 01:38 PM
yes, DH liked the house

we both liked it, actually. and in a lot of ways we know it's right

but my current anxiety isn't even about the bleh outside...it's about actually moving. to NJ. from nyc.

it's a huge change.

things i will not miss about our current location:
- scrambling to move the car twice a week for alternate side and never finding a spot without difficulty
- finding my windowsills streaked black from dust and grime, after having the windows open for a full day
- having no personal outdoor space

things i will miss:
- everything else i can think of

most significantly, the proximity to my family

but we shall see. we'll look again this weekend and hopefully remind/reassure ourselves that this is right for us

and who knows, the offer isn't even totally accepted yet. there is one little thing causing a hangup that the seller is considering right now.

ETA: no, we cannot afford to buy bigger here. there aren't any actual houses. and three-bedroom apts are really tough to come by. our only option from where we are now is to upgrade to a full brownstone. and we priced those out. it's really not feasible considering the amount of work that would be required for the ones that are in our price range.

arivecchi
04-15-2010, 02:59 PM
The city to burbs move is a hard one. I am not going to sugar coat that. Having said that, it is not like I can avail myself of the benefits of living in the city as much anymore with 2 kids. While I could not make the move before kids (we did move and returned to the city in 8 months flat), I am now considering it because it would be nice for the boys to have a yard and I do not want to deal with the school situation in the city. Having family nearby is a big plus though. How far will they be from the new location?

lmh2402
04-15-2010, 03:58 PM
we wouldn't move either, if it weren't for the schools and the crazy pricing of trying to get something larger

family will be 30-40 min from new location

but currently, i have two sibling only two blocks away

and my mom is 15-20 min

makes me so scared to move...i rely on them for a lot. from moving my car for me, to running an errand, to babysitter in a pinch, to drop-in company, etc, etc...

it will definitely not be the same

WatchingThemGrow
04-15-2010, 04:17 PM
:hug: They can come stay the weekend at the new house, though! There's plenty of room!

arivecchi
04-15-2010, 04:19 PM
30-40 minutes is not that bad! My family is a 5 hour plane ride away. Now that is far. ;) So were you able to sell your place in the city already?

lmh2402
04-15-2010, 04:46 PM
lol... we haven't even put it on the market yet

adding to the agida

my dad is proving our down payment b/c we will sell our place for more than the place we're buying

so we'll pay him back

of course, it would help to have it listed

but i haven't been able to coordinate with the realtor for her to get the photographer in here

you're right...it's not terribly far. and i keep trying to remind myself that i was very lucky to have such nearby support so far...that it's more than most people have. and i should just make this move and it will all be ok...

MoJo
04-16-2010, 07:02 AM
I loved living 45 minutes from family (but it's the closest I've lived to family since I left my parent's house). I'd even stop in for dinner occasionally.

You won't have to move your car any more. (Yay!)

I drive 30 minutes to work, and DH drives 45 minutes to work EVERY DAY, so if you're close to your family, I think there will be lots of trips back and forth, and you'll still be able to have help with babysitting and regular visits.

boolady
04-16-2010, 08:56 AM
I loved living 45 minutes from family (but it's the closest I've lived to family since I left my parent's house). I'd even stop in for dinner occasionally.

You won't have to move your car any more. (Yay!)

I drive 30 minutes to work, and DH drives 45 minutes to work EVERY DAY, so if you're close to your family, I think there will be lots of trips back and forth, and you'll still be able to have help with babysitting and regular visits.

This sounds like us, exactly. We still see my parents, who are 45 minutes away, at least every other weekend, often every weekend.