PDA

View Full Version : O/S Children's bedroom thread. Are we the only co-sleeping FAMILY?

Jo..
04-13-2010, 03:26 PM
I feel like such a hippie. I need to go join Mothering.com. :rotflmao:

elliput
04-13-2010, 03:32 PM
DS is still co-sleeping. DD sometimes manages to sneak in and sleep with us, but I usually try to take her back to her room if I notice and I usually end up falling asleep with her. :)

Ceepa
04-13-2010, 03:32 PM
I wake up to a family bed every morning. They just don't start off there at night. :)

brittone2
04-13-2010, 03:34 PM
My oldest coslept until he was a little over 3. For a while all four of us were in teh same bed when DD arrived (we kept the kids separated by an adult in between). DD transitioned to her own room at just past 3 as well, right before my 3rd child arrived (eta: currently cosleeping). I'm surprised she hasn't regressed but she hasn't asked to join us.

m448
04-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Nah, it just becomes so normal after a while that doesn't seem worthwhile to mention.

My two older boys were both in my bed until the oldest was 3, then he slept in a twin that was sidecarred and that arrangement continued when their sister was born and until the beginning of last year when the olders were 5 and 3. They transferred to bunks in their own room and the only one sleeping with us is the 18 month old little girl which will be joined by her younger sister in July.

billysmommy
04-13-2010, 03:39 PM
We used to and I miss it quite a bit :(

Ds1 stopped around 2.5 and Ds2 stopped right after he turned 3. They would rather sleep in the same room as each other instead of with mom and dad...lol

crl
04-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Well, DS thrashes way to much to be allowed in our bed. No one else can sleep if he's in the bed. I did spend a lot of time on a mattress on the floor of his room when he was younger. I'm too paranoid to co-sleep with DD. I'm a heavy sleeper and need my pillows and my comforter too. So she's in a bassinet right next to the bed.

Definitely go join MDC though. :-)

Catherine

deborah_r
04-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Still co-sleeping here with both boys. Sometimes I really want them out, and other times I'm happy to have them close. The idea of children sleeping at the other end of a hallway or on a different level of the house would be totally foreign to me, and I don't think I could sleep.

We finally have a second bedroom (since Sept - had a one bedroom before that) and the boys' toys are living very happily in there, with the empty beds.

SpaceGal
04-13-2010, 03:59 PM
DS#1 co-slept with us until about a few months ago...we got him to alwasy start in his room.

DS #2 never really came over much but has started to in the mornings and so then now DS #1 follows...so like PP said we wake up to a full bed with DD in her crib right next to our bed.

arivecchi
04-13-2010, 04:23 PM
We co-sleep with our 3 yo. The 1 yo sleeps in his crib in his room. DS1's room sits empty.

JBaxter
04-13-2010, 04:35 PM
nope Jo... Jack slept 100% of the time with me for the first year now its part time -- lately 1/2 time. Nathan slept with us from 2 - 4 either in our bed or in our room

craftysierra
04-13-2010, 04:41 PM
No, but my almost 3yr old has joined the kids cosleeping room :) So now just the baby in our room.

Sierra

fortato
04-13-2010, 05:22 PM
I feel like such a hippie. I need to go join Mothering.com. :rotflmao:

Jo... those of us that are your FB friends have seen the gardening photos. I don't think it's the family bed thing that makes you hippies. I think it's the nudity.

Jo..
04-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Jo... those of us that are your FB friends have seen the gardening photos. I don't think it's the family bed thing that makes you hippies. I think it's the nudity.

Okay yes we are total hippies. :D

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f254/joellenh/003-12.jpg

Despite a twin mattress on the floor AND a crib at the foot of our bed, both kids are in our bed 95% of the time. We even told Adam (almost 4) that Santa Claus said it was time to sleep in his own bed. Sometimes he will start out there, but within an hour or two he always sneaks back into the big bed with the rest of us.

MichelleRC
04-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Nope, we are a co-sleeping family. Didn't start out that way nor did we have any intentions of co-sleeping. In fact, both boys slept in their rooms when they were babies. But I have an anxiety-riddled son who can't/won't sleep on his own, (and his brother who hates to miss out on anything). So, we are all in 1 King-sized bed. Including a Siamese cat and a Schnauzer. The amazing thing is that we <usually> get a decent night's sleep. Occasionally I want my room back, but snuggling with with a warm kid is nice, especially if he has been a little um, challenging during the day.
Plus it saves us money on hotel rooms when we travel :)

crazydiamond
04-13-2010, 05:41 PM
DD is nearly 2 and just moved out - of our bedroom. The bed seems so big now.

Tondi G
04-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Okay yes we are total hippies. :D

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f254/joellenh/003-12.jpg

Despite a twin mattress on the floor AND a crib at the foot of our bed, both kids are in our bed 95% of the time. We even told Adam (almost 4) that Santa Claus said it was time to sleep in his own bed. Sometimes he will start out there, but within an hour or two he always sneaks back into the big bed with the rest of us.

OMG Jo that picture is FANTASTIC! I love your gardens too! You will cherish that pic as your kiddos get older.

We have a twin over full bunk bed in the boys room. Many nights they climb into bed with my DH while I wash up... often one of both of them fall asleep there. I move them to their room... the top twin bunk hasn't been slept in probably in about 6 months. So if the boys are sleeping in their room it's in the full bottom bunk together. Many nights (around 2 or 3 am) I wake up to my 4 year old climbing into bed with us. Recently I have woken up to my almost 9 year old climbing into bed with us. I miss them on the mornings when both boys have slept all night in their own bed together and there is no warm snuggler next to me! :) So I guess you could say we still co-sleep.... but it's more like a musical beds thing going on! LOL

arivecchi
04-13-2010, 05:49 PM
nope Jo... Jack slept 100% of the time with me for the first year now its part time -- lately 1/2 time. Nathan slept with us from 2 - 4 either in our bed or in our room How did you kick him out? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jo, that pic is super cute. Impressive garden!

kedss
04-13-2010, 06:21 PM
our DD (22 months tomorrow) still co-sleeps, our DS slept with us til he was 3 :)

sewarsh
04-13-2010, 06:28 PM
For those who do co-sleep, what size bed do you have? when our DD comes in the AM its TIGHT and we're small and DD is only 3 (we have queen). When DS comes in too, its crammed quarters!! I couldn't imagine sleeping all night (or not sleeping all night!) :)

brittone2
04-13-2010, 06:43 PM
For those who do co-sleep, what size bed do you have? when our DD comes in the AM its TIGHT and we're small and DD is only 3 (we have queen). When DS comes in too, its crammed quarters!! I couldn't imagine sleeping all night (or not sleeping all night!) :)

When I was pg with #2 we upgraded to a king as I didn't want to *have* to displace my older (he just wasn't ready for his own room yet. We waited a few short months and he was ready with minimal stress for either party).

codex57
04-13-2010, 06:47 PM
We still have to cosleep with DS until he falls asleep. We moved him to his own room, so it generally means 3 of us are in a twin until he falls asleep.

DD doesn't like to cosleep generally. She likes her crib period. She gets hot easily or something.

If they're sick tho, it does seem like all 4 of us end up in our bed tho. It's a king. We had a queen when it was just DS, but we upgraded before DD came along in anticipation of 4 in a bed.

Katigre
04-13-2010, 07:01 PM
We have all the kids in our room and love it - DS slept in his own room at least part of the night from age 2-3.5 and then we decided to move him back into our room (in a side-carred bed, DD sleeps in bed with us). We're really happy with the arrangement - honestly, I can't imagine having my kids all sleeping in separate rooms, we like cuddling and being together at night and in the morning :).

I think that DS and DD will probably transition out of our bed together into the bunk beds that are in the other bedroom - DS on top and DD on the bottom (and probably coming into our bed partway through the night if she wakes up). I don't envision that for another year or so though.

daisymommy
04-13-2010, 08:43 PM
You're not the only one :) Each of my kids has slept with us until they were one. I didn't have a pre-determined age to stop, it just turned out to the be the age for both Josh and Hannah that they became major sleep thrashers and didn't sleep well with us anymore, so into their bed they went.

Andrew is sleeping with us now.

That said, there is usually one additional child that ends up in our bed midway through the night for whatever reason :)

The way I see it, they're only little once/for such a short time. I already miss Joshua patting my cheek with his chubby little hand to wake me up in the morning when he was less than a year old...sniff-sniff...

FWIW, we have a queen. My parents bought us a very nice heirloom quality bedroom set for a wedding gift that fit a Queen size. But had I known that when we had kids we would have been a cosleeping family, we would have started out with a King size.

megs4413
04-13-2010, 08:49 PM
we don't cosleep anymore, but the kids like to cosleep. ;) we keep a crib mattress under DD's twin bed and pull it out at night for DS to sleep in. sometimes she asks to have him removed, though, because he snores. LOL

we coslept with each of them when they were babies, but each of them moved on...i think it's really sweet that they prefer to be in the same room now that they can choose.

Globetrotter
04-13-2010, 09:03 PM
We had both kids in bed with us for the first few years (so much easier for nursing!). When we had #2, we transitioned #1 to a bed. that said, many times they both end up with us in the morning (though.. hmmm.. it hasn't been happening so much recently). they are now ten and seven :rotflmao:

doberbrat
04-13-2010, 09:09 PM

dd1, dh & I (2 FULL Sized adults) and 2 or 3 dogs including my doberman all slept together in a FULL size bed for a year. it was um, cozy!

everyone had an assigned spot. ... on their side! we upgraded to a queen and it seems soo roomy now.

our bedroom isnt big enough to get a king.

MamaSnoo
04-13-2010, 09:30 PM
We started co-sleeping around 10 mos, and still sleep with DD every night at 2 yo. I am hoping she will move out sometime during the next year, but part of me will be sad. They are so sweet when they are asleep! FWIW, we have a queen. I think it gets tight (DD likes to sleep in the H position!). May be we need a co-sleeping smillie....like this :21:, but with a bed......or like this:29:!!! LOL!

Jo, you are not the only one!!!

firsttimemama
04-13-2010, 09:37 PM
we are cosleepers. right now DS sleeps with DH. he used to sleep with me, but started sleeping with DH during/after nightweaning. we have been through all the different scenarios - all together, just me & DS, DH & DS.. the only constant is someone is with DS.

Jacksmommy2b
04-13-2010, 11:32 PM
I swore I would never have kids in my bed - the adults room is for the adults!

DH and I still(quietly) giggle at that one over two sleeping boys :)

J will be 4 next month and seems to have no intention of leaving. We have a twin sidecared to our queen and most nights M will just make sure J ends up there. With Sammy we didn't even bother setting up the crib or buying a cosleeper, he joined the party from day one.

The idea of children sleeping at the other end of a hallway or on a different level of the house would be totally foreign to me, and I don't think I could sleep..

I know! I just can't wrap my head around having them so far away! Plus - having bed shared/breast fed from the get go I will never have it any other way. I wish I knew with J the sleep I could have had! (he started in a cosleeeper)

We finally have a second bedroom (since Sept - had a one bedroom before that) and the boys' toys are living very happily in there, with the empty beds.

Our two bedroom is currently 'our' room and a playroom with J's dresser. When we move into our 3 bed next month it will be 'our' room, a play room with Sam's dresser and a room filled with J's adorable new furniture - so my sister doesn't have to bunk on the couch when she stays over. :)

Now that we have the twin in there no one is smushed. I figure no one in high school sleeps with thier parents and he'll move out when he's ready. In the meantime I got
M a shirt that says 'cosleepers get dirty in the garage. ;)

mommysammi
04-13-2010, 11:40 PM
We all sleep in one room in two beds, twin next to a king. There are nights when I wish DCs would sleep in their own rooms but I love sleeping with them more. I think I was 10 yo before I slept in my own room so I'm not in a rush to kick out my kids.

Laurel
04-14-2010, 12:11 AM
I wake up to a family bed every morning. They just don't start off there at night. :)

Yep, this is us too.

JoyNChrist
04-14-2010, 12:12 AM
DS doesn't start out in our bed, but about 5 out of the 7 nights in a week he ends up there at some point.

If all three decide they want to do that we'll need to get ourselves a bigger bed. ;)

Jo..
04-14-2010, 12:13 AM
We all sleep in one room in two beds, twin next to a king. There are nights when I wish DCs would sleep in their own rooms but I love sleeping with them more. I think I was 10 yo before I slept in my own room so I'm not in a rush to kick out my kids.

Don't tell my DH this or he will pee his pants. I keep telling him that Adam will move to his own room/bed "in a few months", but honestly, it's across the house and I just don't see it happening in the near future.

sewarsh
04-14-2010, 07:42 AM
FWIW, we have a queen. My parents bought us a very nice heirloom quality bedroom set for a wedding gift that fit a Queen size. But had I known that when we had kids we would have been a cosleeping family, we would have started out with a King size.

THATS where we are!! Bought a really nice master bedroom set with a Queen b/c DH & I always vowed that we would never get a King...like to be able to touch each other at night rather than be SO far away.

Well, fast forward 4 years. We don't touch much at night and have little room once the kiddos jump in. But too $$ to upgrade to King unless we want to get rid of our matching sleigh bed which is just not an option.

MacMacMoo
04-14-2010, 02:41 PM
DS started in a bassinet. Made the move to a crib and then we moved when he was 9 months old. Since then he co-slept in our bed. We were expecting another child (but things didn't work out) and so we tried really really ahrd to get him in his own bed. DS is now 20 months and we snuggle with him on a floor twin mattress in his room till he falls asleep and around 2-3am he wake up and crawls into our bed.

Jo..
04-14-2010, 03:49 PM
I think if we pushed a twin bed next to our king the situation would be better for DH. The kids flop over to his side of the bed and crowd him out. Right now we just have a twin mattress on the floor, and they really won't sleep there. I'm wondering if they make tall twin bed frames? Our King bed is really tall, and I'd like something that sort of lines up so it would be like one huge bed.

fortato
04-14-2010, 04:13 PM
I love snuggling with Jack, but if he spends more than an hour in the bed with us, neither Mike nor I get any sleep. I am just not fond of a butt in my face, or a toe in my belly button for the evening... Jack is a wiggle worm, and he sweats A LOT...

I don't know how some families can do it, but I definitely enjoy my space when I sleep.

gatorsmom
04-14-2010, 05:56 PM

:yeahthat: The first half of the night is me and DH and the second half of the night the bed is filled with kids. As long as they aren't kicking me in the head and sleeping sideways on my pillow, I love having them there!