PDA

View Full Version : Not the word I wanted to hear at my Dr's appointment

mama2g03
04-13-2010, 05:36 PM
BREECH.
Had my 32 week appointment today and my office always does an ultrasound to check baby's size (five pounds already!) and to make sure everything still looks ok. The tech puts the probe on my belly and immediately says "Oh, she's breech." NOT what I wanted to hear! I tried not to panic and she and my doc both assured me it is still early and she can easily flip, but I'm nervous. My doctor is so great and I know he'll do everything he can to help get her turned around. He said I'm a great candidate for manipulating her if it comes to that - 3rd pregnancy, I'm not petite, etc. We're going to do another u/s at 36 to see if she has flipped. If not he said we could try to turn her at 37 and wait and see and hope she doesn't turn back or try to turn her at 39 and break my water to put me into labor and not give her the chance to turn back. He said if I go into labor before she is turned it would be pretty hard to turn her then.
Of course, I'm happy that everything else looks great and she is healthy, but after two natural, vaginal births I am going to freak out if there is a chance of a c/s. He said it is not recommended to do a breech delivery because of liability so I guess that's not an option.
Just wondering if anyone had some experience to share with having a breech baby turn or not on their own or with assistance. Thanks!

ETA: Ok, just saw the post from a few days ago about this same situation. If anyone else has something to contribute please do!

Tondi G
04-13-2010, 05:54 PM
If you get close and baby hasn't turned then find a acupuncturist to do moxibustion! Spinning babies is a great site for other things you can do in the mean time!

JBaxter
04-13-2010, 05:55 PM
I replied on the other thread. My last one was breech at 32 weeks and turned sometime before 34weeks at the next u/s. My OB was not concerned.

sariana
04-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Back in the Dark Ages (1971) my sister was delivered vaginally in a breech position. My mom always talked about how horrible it was, that they both were bruised terribly, but otherwise both were fine.

My DD was breech and preterm, so vaginal delivery was not an option for me. My Ob/Gyn was willing to discuss it, but the hospital would not consider it at 36 weeks because the body is not big enough to open up the passage for the head. I had a version scheduled for 37 weeks but didn't make it that far. Had it not been successful, the baby would have to be full term for the doc to consider trying a vaginal birth.

I guess this is my long-winded way of saying a vaginal birth may not be totally out of the question. Try to do some research about it to see if it's really something you want to try and also to gather information to share with your doctor.

calv
04-13-2010, 06:12 PM
same thing happened to me. went to the chiro and did the webster. BEST thing I ever did. Also got rid of a lot of my pain. wish I had known/gone to a chiro w/my other pregnancies! Thankfully I had a fast/vag delivery! HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend it!!

also attached teh ipod to my crotch w/music to hopefully make the flip. whether it was god, the chiro, the music. who knows but thankfully I didn't need a c-section.

BEST of luck and I hope she flips. COME ON BABY GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ewpmsw
04-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Good luck! No BTDT, but sending flipping thoughts your way.

citymama
04-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Two words: ironing board.
DD1 was breech at 32 wks, I did hours of inversions and got her to flip to head-first just by spending hours in bed with my legs raised, reading the NYTimes. It is the weirdest thing to feel your fetus turning 180 degrees when lying in bed with your legs up on a pile of pillows!

At 32 weeks, they still have a lot of room to do back-flips, and with the right encouragement, your baby will be able to turn to head-down.

Stop reading here if you like happy endings.

DD1 flipped back to breech at week 36. No amount of inversions would get her to turn back (there probably wasn't enough room). I had an "external manual version" - uncomfortable, but successful. I know that not everyone has successful versions, so I was lucky mine worked on the first try. The doc who did it was an old-school veteran of versions who had delivered breech babies vaginally once upon a time! (And sariana, my sis was delivered breech vaginally 40 yrs ago as well!)

Stop reading here if you like happy endings.

DD turned transverse during labor and I ended up with a c-section.

But - healthy baby, healthy mama - happy ending! :yay:

Oh, and DD2 is head-down at 36 and a half weeks, so I am keeping my fingers crossed she will stay this way. Don't give up yet - you still have a ways to go and lots of room for baby flips!

MamaSnoo
04-13-2010, 08:09 PM
DD was breech at 32 weeks and from there on out. I tried mosibustication. I was offered a version, but having heard how painful they can be, I decided against it. In the end, it did not matter because I went into labor at 37 weeks, and my OB was offering the version for 38 weeks. Because it was my first (unproven pelvis), I was really uncomfortable with the thought of delivering vaginal breech. So, in the end, I had a not-scheduled, but not emergent c- at 37 weeks a few hours after my labor started.

I do not tell you the story to discourage you. I was sad about not having the vaginal birth I had wanted (we were the only couple at the childbirth classes with a known breech baby! LOL!). That said, my c-section was not as bad as I expected. I was off narcotics after 2 days and off all pain meds (including tylenol) after 4 days. We breast fed in the recovery room, and I kept my epidural for the first 24 hours, so I did not feel snowed on percocet for the first hours with my LO.

So, I really hope your little girl turns around, but if she does not, and you end up going with the c-section, remember that it can all work well!!! :grouphug:

momof2girls
04-13-2010, 08:10 PM
DD1 was breech at about 36 weeks. We tried accupuncture, lying upside down with music pumping against my belly with the hopes of her turning. Nothing worked for us. I was VERY bummed that my first birth experience was going to be a scheduled c-section, but it all went well and she was healthy, so I guess it all worked out for the best. Good luck to you! At least if you know you are having a c-section is will be fairly calm and organized since you will not be in labor and they know you are coming ahead of time.

Jo..
04-13-2010, 08:11 PM
tons of babies are breech that early. They usually turn. MY DS was breech right until the last minute (37 weeks). :)

JTsMom
04-13-2010, 08:42 PM
That was my thread. I'm pretty sure my little one is still breech, but I'm going to start Webster, and I have high hopes for that. I've also been doing the inclined thing, and some hands and knees- both are easy to do, so it's a good place to start. My midwife also suggested trying the hot and cold technique- put something like frozen veggies high, and warm packs, etc. low.

We do have a doctor here that does breech births frequently, so I'm keeping that in mind if worst comes to worst, but I feel confident that I can get this boy to turn.

kellyd
04-14-2010, 12:52 AM
Ds was breech and flipped sometime between week 35 and 36. I didn't do anything. Currently my twins are breech, and if they still are tomorrow at my next appt I am scheduling appts w/ the chiro for the webster technique.

mama2g03
04-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks everyone for your stories and information. I guess I will just try not to worry too much right now and hope she flips on her own. She is a very busy baby so I'm hoping with all that movement she'll get in the right position. If not, at least we have options as we get closer and of course the main goal is to get her out healthy and happy. Good luck JTsMom and kellyd with your breech babies, let's hope they all decide to cooperate for us!