PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to carseats on carts

KrisM
04-13-2010, 06:28 PM
I used these hooks (http://www.amazon.com/Keen-1005-Mommy-Stoller-Hanger/dp/B000JFEV1K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1271197616&sr=8-1)when shopping. I used my reusable grocery bags and would hook one or two bags to each hook and hook it to the cart. Unload to pay and reload the bags and put them on the hook. They work really well and gave me plenty of space for groceries.

I use them now to carry the bags from the car to the house in fewer trips.

hobie
04-13-2010, 07:25 PM
That's funny! They had the same product, but with a different lable in a harware store. There, the advertised use was for carrying 2 cans of paint :)

maestramommy
04-13-2010, 09:19 PM
I don't get it. It looks just like a carabiner. Is there something particularly special about this carabiner?

WatchingThemGrow
04-13-2010, 09:32 PM
It's padded, which makes it much easier on your hands, plus it's huge.

neeleymartin
04-13-2010, 09:36 PM
I used these hooks (http://www.amazon.com/Keen-1005-Mommy-Stoller-Hanger/dp/B000JFEV1K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1271197616&sr=8-1)when shopping. I used my reusable grocery bags and would hook one or two bags to each hook and hook it to the cart. Unload to pay and reload the bags and put them on the hook. They work really well and gave me plenty of space for groceries.

I use them now to carry the bags from the car to the house in fewer trips.

i have/love these hooks. what about the car seat? do you put it into the big part of the cart?

KrisM
04-13-2010, 09:41 PM
I don't get it. It looks just like a carabiner. Is there something particularly special about this carabiner?

It is a carabiner, but it's huge. The padded part is big enough to wrap my hand around, so it can hold a lot. And, padded makes it easier to carry when the stuff is heavy.

KrisM
04-13-2010, 09:42 PM
i have/love these hooks. what about the car seat? do you put it into the big part of the cart?

Yep. I put the car seat in the basket part.

maestramommy
04-13-2010, 10:07 PM
It is a carabiner, but it's huge. The padded part is big enough to wrap my hand around, so it can hold a lot. And, padded makes it easier to carry when the stuff is heavy.

Oh, that IS big. So you hook them around the sides of the cart, hang your shopping bags on the outside, leaving the basket compartment for your carseat? Then when you're done shopping, you unhook the biner and lift all the bags at once into your trunk? Do you use more than one of these in a single trip and hang a couple bags on each one? Just trying to get a visual.

KrisM
04-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Oh, that IS big. So you hook them around the sides of the cart, hang your shopping bags on the outside, leaving the basket compartment for your carseat? Then when you're done shopping, you unhook the biner and lift all the bags at once into your trunk? Do you use more than one of these in a single trip and hang a couple bags on each one? Just trying to get a visual.

I usually hooked them on the handle, so they weren't making me much wider than the cart. Yes, I'd shop with them and then unload the bags at the register and they'd reload the bags for me. I'd hang them on and transfer them to the car. Most times, they can stay hooked together in my trunk. If the bags are really heavy, I'd unclip the bags. I would use 1 or 2 clips and would put up to 3 Whole Foods bags on each. If I forgot the reusable bags, I could get 5 or 6 plastic store bags on each.

I used a hook on Halloween, too. I cliped the "overflow" bags to the stroller. My kids carry small pumpkins and I carried bigger bags for them to dump into :).

BeachBum
04-14-2010, 08:05 AM
I keep mine hooked to my stroller. With twins, I often shop with them in the stroller instead of in a cart. YMMV if your stroller is tippy

azazela
04-14-2010, 11:18 AM
While I don't use it for grocery shopping (I wear my little guy in the moby) I've had a mommy hook on my stroller since my daughter was a baby. The padding ripped a bit, but that has to do with keeping it on my stroller at all times I think. I just used it yesterday while at the mall. It's very handy for strollers with a small basket or when it's already full.

vonfirmath
04-14-2010, 12:19 PM
I use the Mommy Hook on my Baby Jogger City Mini and LOVE it

But... I don't think your idea would work around here. A bunch of stores have signs asking you NOT to load your reusable grocery bags in the store but to way until you pay for the items.

It is evidently difficult for the store to keep track of shoplifting when people shop with these bags.

Laurel
04-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Our Whole Foods and local grocery store both strictly prohibit shopping into your own bags :(. Otherwise, this looks like a great product.