PDA

View Full Version : For all of you who bought the Costco Contigo Travel Mugs....

happymom
04-13-2010, 07:25 PM
How do you wash them? I clean the cup part with a bottle brush (don't have a dishwasher) and they are definitely clean although they still smell strongly of coffee (which kinda bugs me). The real problem though is the cover. I always push that button in and let soapy water run through the open spout, but I feel like there is no way to really truly clean in there- like scrub the coffee film with a brush, yk? And even if the coffee washes away, there's no way to let it dry with the spout open, so I would imagine its getting mildewy in there ....ugh. But I LOVE these cups and do not want to throw them out. So, any ideas for me?

Thanks!

momof2girls
04-13-2010, 08:15 PM
BTDT...I manually wash each lid and open the spout to get in there with a q-tip. It is very tedious. There was another thread on this a few months back. I don't recall many complaining about the cleaning (except me!) I've switched to Funtainers and use the Contigo only when desperate.

DrSally
04-13-2010, 09:26 PM
I have the kids ones and we only use for water, so I don't have to get in there w/a q-tip, thank goodness. I don't know if I could handle that. I've been meaning to email them. One of mine leaked from the very beginning. Do you think they would send me a new seal?

happymom
04-13-2010, 10:53 PM
I have the kids ones and we only use for water, so I don't have to get in there w/a q-tip, thank goodness. I don't know if I could handle that. I've been meaning to email them. One of mine leaked from the very beginning. Do you think they would send me a new seal?

Hmm, its certainly worth asking. I have the plastic ones (not the kids) and those are used only for water, so I don't really worry about the spout. Although, I thought that way with DD's Playtex sippies (also only used for water) and didn't realize that mildew was accumulating beneath the valve inside the spout.

So I guess I should stick a q-tip into the travel mug spout and see what I come up with...ugh, not looking forward to this!

ETA: momof2girls, I just searched and found the thread you were referring to. I see there were no real solutions mentioned....oh well. Honestly, if Costco was still selling these, I'd just throw out the ones I have now and buy a bunch more. I've never found another travel mug that is so truly leak-proof that I can throw it in my purse without thinking twice. I teach 4 year olds and am not allowed to come to school holding a cup of hot coffee (understandably). So these have been great for me.

DrSally
04-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Although, I thought that way with DD's Playtex sippies (also only used for water) and didn't realize that mildew was accumulating beneath the valve inside the spout.

Ewww, do you remove the valve when you wash?

salsah
04-14-2010, 01:19 AM
i have the same problem. if i don't soak the lid in vinegar and wipe the inside of the spout with q-tip, the coffee smell lingers. i hate cleaning them but i love using them.

daphne
04-14-2010, 07:20 AM

I lost a couple of seals & they said that they would replace them for $1 each, I think.

KrystalS
04-15-2010, 02:53 PM
I really want to get some of these cups but the shipping is ridiculous. Anyone know if Costco is still selling them? I dont live anywhere near a Costco, but $15 is a great deal compared to the prices online. Maybe I can find a friend near a Costco to ship them to me! Even with them shipping its still better than the prices online.
Do any other B&M stores sell them?