PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the iPad yet?

BeachBum
04-14-2010, 08:08 AM
I'm dying to hear how it is! Any reviews?
Can you manipulate (quick edits) your photos, or just view them? Can you upload them to somewhere other than mobile me?
How is the weight? I keep envisioning it to be about the size of the kindle, but it's so much heavier.

TwinFoxes
04-14-2010, 08:53 AM
My DH loves "ours". It's really his. I can't answer most of your Qs because I haven't really had a chance to use "our" iPad. The weight seems light to me, but I've never held a kindle. We don't have mobile me. Where would you want to upload them to? Since you have to transfer TO the iPad, it seems it would be easier to upload from the original source. I think I'm being dense. :confused:

jenmcadams
04-14-2010, 08:59 AM
I got one the day it came out (my DH is a big Apple geek and had ordered one to be delivered). I'm rushing around to get the kids ready for school, but figured I would post a quick review and then come back later and add more:

The weight is decent...definitely heavier and bigger than a Kindle (seems a little less portable for throwing in your purse (although I have done that))

As far as manipulating photos, there's nothing standard on the iPad to do that, but there probably are apps...you can obviously zoom in just like you can on the iPhone and the display is gorgeous...I want to get the stand so when we're not using it, we could use it as a digital photo frame. It does not have a camera built-in like the iPhone, so all pics would have been transferred from somewhere else. As far as uploading, I'm not sure...we just transferred a subset of pics from my desktop for viewing.

The things I love the most are the iBook app, surfing the web, and watching movies/videos. There are some cool HD games (although the HD apps and iPad apps in general are more expensive than the iPhone). The email is good, but I don't know if I'd use the keyboard for lots of typing. But, the device does have bluetooth, so you could put the pad in a stand and use a wireless keyboard to use it as a pseudo-computer/internet device.

HTH

sewarsh
04-14-2010, 09:12 AM
My boss has one and its really nice, basically a giant IPOD. The first thing i noticed was the weight. i definately gets slightly heavy but i think its only a couple of pounds. anyways, he dropped it by accident nad it still works, so i guess its durable (had a case on it).

BeachBum
04-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Where would you want to upload them to? Since you have to transfer TO the iPad, it seems it would be easier to upload from the original source. I think I'm being dense. :confused:

That stinks that you haven't even gotten to use it! It must be pretty great if he doesn't want to share:)
Well I read that you could plug your camera in to upload them to the ipad. I was wondering if you could upload them to shutterfly or similar from the iPad. I was wondering if this could be a computer replacement for my MIL. She only does photos, light surfing and email. Plus, she has two homes, so getting and canceling home internet is a major PITA every few months for her.

jess_g
04-14-2010, 09:24 AM
I just have to ask how is the keypad on the ipad? This is the one thing that is holding me back from getting one. I like to type of a regular keyboard.

Jessica.

LD92599
04-14-2010, 09:24 AM
I have one and got it the 1st day it came out; a photo sharing site might be your best bet (let me play w/ it a sec....). I don't have a kindle to compare to, but comparing it to my macbook pro, it's lighter weight than that! It does fit into my purse (a newish VB hipster). I love the email, 'net, etc. We find wifi in most locations and if not, i have my iphone too. I was just reading my mom a bunch of emailed jokes and it's so much better on the ipad vs iphone to read them and for her to see the pics. I'm also sharing more of our family pics w/ her on it too vs my phone or dragging my MBP w/ me to see her.

I can definitely see myself using more of the functions of it when this baby comes and i'm nursing, sitting more, etc. The screen is great too!

Looks like shutterfly does work, but to what extent?

jenmcadams
04-14-2010, 10:19 AM
That stinks that you haven't even gotten to use it! It must be pretty great if he doesn't want to share:)
Well I read that you could plug your camera in to upload them to the ipad. I was wondering if you could upload them to shutterfly or similar from the iPad. I was wondering if this could be a computer replacement for my MIL. She only does photos, light surfing and email. Plus, she has two homes, so getting and canceling home internet is a major PITA every few months for her.

I might be dense :), but I don't think you can plug a camera into it (there's no USB port). Also, at least in my opinion, your MIL would still need/want WiFi (or Internet in her different homes). The 3GS version of the iPad isn't out yet and when we thought about what we would use ours for, we decided we wouldn't need the internet things out and about that much. We both have iPhones and can use those when out and about...I read, play games, watch movies, etc. on the iPad in the car on long rides, but otherwise only use the Internet features at home or in a hotel or other location with WiFi.

LD92599
04-14-2010, 10:27 AM
I might be dense :), but I don't think you can plug a camera into it (there's no USB port).

There is a camera cable/adapter to be able to download pics into it, but since the ipad doesn't act as a hard drive, i assume you'd have to leave them on your camera too until you get to a hard drive source!

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A

hellbennt
04-15-2010, 09:17 AM
how does it compare to the ipod touch? am I now being dense, lol?

LD92599
04-15-2010, 09:30 AM
how does it compare to the ipod touch? am I now being dense, lol?

It's very similar in use except it's a larger format and much easier to work on, however you don't just throw it in your pocket either!

writermama
04-15-2010, 10:32 AM
I have played with one a little bit. It's a beautiful device, but it doesn't suit my needs. I write too much for it to be a computer replacement or even a casual computer. Though it seems like a great portable media and game device, it doesn't quite fit my needs in that department either. Also, the current model is a little too heavy for me to use as an eBook reader (I have hand and back issues, so this may not be a problem for most users, just me).

From my iPhone, I have learned that I need a way to control what my kids can see and use on the device. Perhaps something like "airplane mode" called "kid mode" that only allows them to access the aps and shows that I allow them to access, or user accounts so I can let them see their things while keeping them out of my things.

There is a good review of the iPad on the Daily Giz Wiz podcast. You can find it on iTunes, or here:

http://twit.tv/dgw1067

BillK
04-15-2010, 10:50 AM
I tinkered with one the other day - it's super slick.

However - I just don't see it being convenient in my case. It's enormous (from a portability standpoint) - and I suppose if I traveled for work or whatnot and spent a lot of time sitting around airports or in hotels I'd have one stuffed in a briefcase.

But for me - I just don't see me carrying around a manpurse to keep it in. My commute is like 2-3 minutes - and I don't travel for work.

It kind of pains me to NOT get one being the techno-geek I am - but at this point I just can't justify the price of $500 and up for it - no matter how geeky I am.