PDA

View Full Version : When can kids wear open toe shoes?

pantrygirl
04-14-2010, 06:23 PM
Just curious and probably I'm just a worry wart but when can wear kids wear open toe or peep toe shoes?

DD is 21 months old and it's getting warmer out. She is steady on her feet but I do notice that her closed shoes have wear on the tips of the shoes.

Should I wait until she's doesn't bump her toes and stick with closed toe sandals?

Thanks in advance.

jvs195
04-14-2010, 07:49 PM
I think it depends on where she is wearing them. For DD I would only give her closed toes for daycare and outside play, but if there is a cute pair of open toe shoes I would probably let her wear them for a trip to the mall or a family dinner or something.

AngelaS
04-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Remember when you were a child and you ran down the sidewalk in your sandals or you'd ride your bike in flip flops and at some point, you'd slip and your big toe would hit the sidewalk? And remember how that big flap of skin would tear back on your toe and it would just hang their while your toe gushed blood?? And then you'd go home and your mom would insist on cutting off that flap of skin? And then you couldn't really put a band aid on the end of your toe and it hurt SO bad?

Okay...maybe I was scarred for life, but I don't let my 5 and 7 year olds wear open toed shoes yet. :P

wellyes
04-14-2010, 08:39 PM
I have DD (24 months) in open toed shoes now and it's not a problem except her feet get dirty. I certainly wouldn't do flip-flops at that age but sandals that holds in her feet, in the correct size, works well for us:

http://www.amazon.com/Cara-Berry-Leather-Sandal-12/dp/B00358MYRQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=shoes&qid=1271291742&sr=1-1 (http://www.amazon.com/umi-Toddler-Flutter-Hook-And-Loop-Shoe/dp/B001F7B736/ref=pd_ts_shoe_25?ie=UTF8&s=shoes)
http://www.amazon.com/umi-Toddler-Flutter-Hook-And-Loop-Shoe/dp/B001F7B736/ref=pd_ts_shoe_25?ie=UTF8&s=shoes (http://www.amazon.com/Cara-Berry-Leather-Sandal-12/dp/B00358MYRQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=shoes&qid=1271291742&sr=1-1)

SnuggleBuggles
04-14-2010, 08:42 PM
My ds1's first sandals were open toed Tevas. We bought those every year till he was almost 7yo. For summer camp he wore sneakers but otherwise he wore open toes. I don't have a problem with open toes and won't rule them out for my 2yo.

Beth

pantrygirl
04-14-2010, 08:59 PM
Remember when you were a child and you ran down the sidewalk in your sandals or you'd ride your bike in flip flops and at some point, you'd slip and your big toe would hit the sidewalk? And remember how that big flap of skin would tear back on your toe and it would just hang their while your toe gushed blood?? And then you'd go home and your mom would insist on cutting off that flap of skin? And then you couldn't really put a band aid on the end of your toe and it hurt SO bad?

Okay...maybe I was scarred for life, but I don't let my 5 and 7 year olds wear open toed shoes yet. :P
Angela, I totally sympathize and that's why I'm probably concerned with my nearly 2 year old with cute peep toe sandals.

I think I'll take some advice and get those closed toe sandals with openings on the side to help circulate air.

We generally keep her in her closed shoes but with the weather warming up, I thought we might want to look at a summer shoe.

Thanks for the advice everyone.:wavey:

sansdieu
04-14-2010, 10:40 PM
DD had well-fitting terrific sandals from SR last summer; started wearing them when she was 20+ months old; never had an issue with them (other than dirty feet mentioned by PP). At that age, they don't run bikes, and I try to not let her run around on asphalt anyway. I can't imagine running around in socks AND shoes in 90+ degree weather. If you're concerned about skin lacerations, put them in socks AND sandals.

If anything, crocs scare me a lot more. I almost never let DD wear them (except to the beach or somebody else's house). Their "sticky" soles, apparently, cause lots of injuries at playgrounds, etc. I walk around the house in mine, and, every once in a while, one of my feet sticks momentarily to the floor, while inertia continues to propel my body forward. NOT a fun feeling.

boltfam
04-14-2010, 11:01 PM
If anything, crocs scare me a lot more. I almost never let DD wear them (except to the beach or somebody else's house). Their "sticky" soles, apparently, cause lots of injuries at playgrounds, etc. I walk around the house in mine, and, every once in a while, one of my feet sticks momentarily to the floor, while inertia continues to propel my body forward. NOT a fun feeling.

Oohhh, I hadn't heard of that issue. I'm glad to know because I was just about to buy DS some.