PDA

View Full Version : Is this right?

teedeedee
04-14-2010, 08:35 PM
I took DD to the doctor today because she's been running a high fever for going on 3 days (with tylenol about 101, but after 4 hours the tylenol seems to completely wear off and the fever jumps to 103- 103.5 rather quickly). DD kept on saying Owwie, but she couldn't tell me what hurt.

Dr checked her out and said she may be getting an ear infection but that he wasn't going to put her on antibiotics yet. So, he said to give her motrin instead of tylenol because it'd do more for keeping the fever reasonable. DH is military so this was at the base clinic and the doc just prescribed the motrin for me there.

But when I picked it up, it was Children's Motrin, not Infant's. I talked to the pharmacist and told him that DD is only 22 months, not 2 yet. He asked me how much she weighs and I said 24 pounds. So he kinda shrugged and said it was what the doc prescribed and it should be fine.

I don't know...I have just always heard to give infants until she's 2. Have any of you heard differently?

nrp
04-14-2010, 08:39 PM
It's the same medicine, just a different strength. The infants is actually a lot more concentrated, so you only have to get a few drops down. The children's is less concentrated so that the kids can drink it. Just make sure that the dosage the doc prescribed is for the children's version, not the infants, or else you will be under-dosing your DD.

DrSally
04-14-2010, 08:41 PM
It's the same medicine, just a different strength. The infants is actually a lot more concentrated, so you only have to get a few drops down. The children's is less concentrated so that the kids can drink it. Just make sure that the dosage the doc prescribed is for the children's version, not the infants, or else you will be under-dosing your DD.

:yeahthat:

wellyes
04-14-2010, 08:41 PM
My DD is 22 lbs and still on infants because she doesn't match the weight requirement for children's, even though she is almost 25 months. I think it is more weight than age.

At 22 months & 24 lbs I'd be fine giving her that prescription.

elephantmeg
04-14-2010, 08:43 PM
the only difference between infants and childrens is the concentration. I'm not positive on the concentration for infant motrin but I know the children's motrin is 100 mg/5 ml and the dosing is 5-10 mg/kg. At 10.9 kg she fits well into the dosing for children's motrin-she would get 2.5-5 ml of the children's (50-100 mg). The peds unit I work for has never had infant motrin so we gave everyone children's.

lmh2402
04-14-2010, 08:48 PM
i'm not BTDT, but i do know that use the Dr. Sears book for reference with regard to dosage for tylenol and motrin

i just looked and your daughter falls into the weight category for 22-26lbs. for that weight (specific to motrin ONLY...tylenol is different), he says you can give either 2 x 1.25ml of infant drops OR 1 tsp of children's liquid OR 2 tablets of children's chewable tablets (50 mg each) OR 1 tablet of junior strength caps or chews 100 mg each

of course, this is just what the book says...i'm not suggesting you should necessarily follow these guidelines

if you had any questions, i personally would call the doctor

teedeedee
04-14-2010, 10:18 PM
i'm not BTDT, but i do know that use the Dr. Sears book for reference with regard to dosage for tylenol and motrin

i just looked and your daughter falls into the weight category for 22-26lbs. for that weight (specific to motrin ONLY...tylenol is different), he says you can give either 2 x 1.25ml of infant drops OR 1 tsp of children's liquid OR 2 tablets of children's chewable tablets (50 mg each) OR 1 tablet of junior strength caps or chews 100 mg each

of course, this is just what the book says...i'm not suggesting you should necessarily follow these guidelines

if you had any questions, i personally would call the doctor

I really need to get that Dr Sears book! Thank you for looking that up. She is within the weight limit on the bottle...so I figured that was the case. Thank you everyone for your input! I feel much better about giving her the meds now. =)

daniele_ut
04-14-2010, 10:35 PM
I really need to get that Dr Sears book! Thank you for looking that up. She is within the weight limit on the bottle...so I figured that was the case. Thank you everyone for your input! I feel much better about giving her the meds now. =)

You can find the same information online. I reference it constantly!

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/11/T089900.asp

It will give you the dosage by weight for almost all of the common medications.

sariana
04-14-2010, 11:49 PM
I don't have any advice for you. I just wanted to say thay my husband is military, and he always says that Motrin is the military's (Navy's) cure for eveything. It's all they ever seem to prescribe for him!

DrSally
04-15-2010, 11:28 AM
You can find the same information online. I reference it constantly!

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/11/T089900.asp

It will give you the dosage by weight for almost all of the common medications.

I reference this online all the time too.

Cam&Clay
04-15-2010, 12:14 PM
I don't have any advice for you. I just wanted to say thay my husband is military, and he always says that Motrin is the military's (Navy's) cure for eveything. It's all they ever seem to prescribe for him!

:yeahthat:

The military can cure it all with Motrin, I swear!