PDA

View Full Version : Feeling really guilty right now...

LarsMal
04-16-2010, 01:16 PM
I have been feeling guilty lately about having to wake C up from naps to take and/or pick DS up from preschool. I *hate* having to wake a sleeping baby, but I can't really leave her behind! I've tried to adjust her schedule, but I still end up having to wake her up from at least one of her two naps.

Today is the only day DS doesn't have preschool. I put C down for a nap around 10AM and she is STILL sleeping- 3+ hours later. I feel like she is trying to catch up on all the interrupted naps she had all week and I feel horrible.

I know it doesn't make me a bad mommy, but I can't help feeling bad.

I keep telling myself that carting her around everywhere and not giving her the normal "baby" time the other two got will help build character and make her more flexible and go-with-the-flow when she gets older. Tell me I'm right...please!!!!

g-mama
04-16-2010, 01:32 PM
You are right, Julie!! :D My youngest ds is so wonderfully flexible and mellow. I have had to wake him from countless naps in his lifetime. I remember feeling exactly like you do, even down to him taking a crazy long nap on the rare opportunity he had to sleep as long as he wanted and me thinking how sad that was!

I am *still* waking him from a nap every single weekday afternoon to go get his big brothers from the bus stop. Kills me to do it each time, and yet he rolls over, stretches, yawns, and then smiles at me and says "Time to go get my brothers?" My other two would be such grumps in the same situation. I truly believe that getting dragged around and having to go with the flow has been a huge positive thing for him.

marit
04-16-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm with you mama! Sorry no real advice here, because I feel the same way! I will bend over backwards to avoid having to wake up my baby (schedule playdates at the last minute, begging friends to pick up my DD, getting a babysitter at the last minute) but sometimes I still have to wake her up!

The only thing I tell myself is - this too, shall pass :)

sewarsh
04-16-2010, 01:33 PM
I can't tell you if you are right or wrong. But my DS was a cranky'ish baby and is the best, happiest toddler. I too HATE wake a sleeping baby but he was woken all.the.time for same reasons. It stinks, but really what can you do? You're doing the best you can. In our case, everything turned out just fine. I'm sure it will be that way for you too :)

Laurel
04-16-2010, 02:05 PM
UGH, BTDT and hate it. I swear, parenting should not be a solo activity..."it takes a village", and all that should actually be applied for mothers of young children. I would be happy to trade "naptime" duty with another mom in my neighborhood so we could take our older kids to school and activities.

Don't feel guilty, you are doing your best with the circumstances and it IS good enough.

SnuggleBuggles
04-16-2010, 03:04 PM
I hate that too. I started asking our across the street preteen to come over for the 10-15 minutes I needed someone to stand guard over sleeping ds2 while I get ds1. Works great!!! Sadly she has gotten really busy so I have had to wake ds2 up more.

Beth

Fairy
04-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Julie, do not beat yourself up. You have three kids! You are doing it all yourself during the day (and, um ... overnight), and there are only so many options you've got. I think you're doing the best you can, and even at your not so best, you're doing better than many folks at their best. :bowdown:

calv
04-16-2010, 03:42 PM
i can relate in so many ways. I have to wake up 2 kids to get one from school. STINKS!!!! and it kills me since our kids are such great nappers/sleepers :(

catpagmo
04-16-2010, 06:19 PM
I feel this way, too. Two times a week, I have to wake up DS in the morning, and sometimes from a nap to pick up DD from school. I feel so bad, but I have no other choice. I know he could use way more sleep....sigh.

willow33
04-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Happens here every single day :( I've also tried adjusting her nap schedule but it just doesn't work out. I look forward to summer vacation when she can take naps without interruption!!

MamaMolly
04-16-2010, 10:26 PM
Couldn't read and not respond. :grouphug: I think you are doing a GREAT job! 3 is a lot of schedules to juggle, and something has got to give. DOn't be too hard on yourself!

KrisM
04-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Soon enough, she won't be napping and the others will be in school full time. She'll get some great one-on-one time with you then. It'll be so much fun for her as well, since she'll be 3 or 4 years old.

I often have to wake up DS2 for something. He's really a terrible napper because of it. But, he gets a lot of time with just me. DD (middle child) got better nap times, but less time with just me. I think it all works out in the end. They have different situations the whole time.

twowhat?
04-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Don't worry - you are NOT sleep depriving her!! If you wake her up every day to take DS to preschool, her sleep will adjust accordingly. She may sleep longer for her other nap, or sleep longer at night. A baby will get the sleep she needs no matter what the circumstances are. No worries!!!