PDA

View Full Version : Freaking volcano eruption

kozachka
04-16-2010, 01:46 PM
I am supposed to start working on Wednesday. A family member was scheduled to fly in from Amsterdam this week-end. Now that 2/3 of European flights have been cancelled (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_iceland_volcano) today, it is just not going to happen. And who knows when flights will be resumed. I am freaking out about arranging last minute afterschool care for DS for next week.

Wish me luck that trans-Atlantic flights resume this week-end and backlog of passengers clears out by Monday evening, which is the latest day I need the said family member to fly out of Eastern Europe to make it to the West Coast by Tuesday evening. And as luck would have it ash cloud is moving South and East, so not where I need it. I realize that my concerns are minor in comparison to the major disruptions that this has caused in Europe and elsewhere, but they are huge to me, so here I am bitching about it.

bubbaray
04-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Sorry. Is your DH working? Can't he help out for a week and take the stress off of you during your first week at a new job??!!!

hillview
04-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Ugg. That stinks. SO sorry!
/hillary

kozachka
04-16-2010, 01:57 PM
DH is in Europe through May 1st or so. My parents are also not in the country. His parents are out of state, and have other commitments that they can not re-schedule. DS' pre/aftershool care does not have a drop off option according to the district coordinator, but I will check with them in person when I pick DS up from school later today. Even so they close at 6PM, entirely too early for me, which is why I have a family member come to help me through the end of school year. In the meantime I am trying to find a new apartment/house closer to new work and school.

niccig
04-16-2010, 02:03 PM
Oy that is not good.
Could you arrange something with a classmate's parent for just next week? Offer to pay them too.

egoldber
04-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Could you arrange something with a classmate's parent for just next week? Offer to pay them too.

I was thinking this. I wouldn't want to do it all the time, but I would do it for a short time to help a friend in a bind. As a WOH mom, you'll need these informal networks.

ETA: Also, call the school office to see if there is an inhome child care that kids at the school use and maybe contact them?

kozachka
04-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Oy that is not good.

It's just for 3 days, and, yes, paid childcare is something I am trying to arrange right now. Unfortunately, all kids in DS class have siblings, which makes me uncomfortable to ask. And DS is no angel, so I'd rather not ask his classmates' parents to be with him for 6+ hours. I became friends with several parents, and DS is well liked in his class so we have an informal network, but in my mind it's not appropriate to use for longer stretches of time.

niccig
04-16-2010, 02:20 PM
I was thinking this. I wouldn't want to do it all the time, but I would do it for a short time to help a friend in a bind. As a WOH mom, you'll need these informal networks.

I agree with this. I'm a SAHM and I've helped friends out in a pinch.

One of the WOHM asked me today if I would sign her DD out of class every Tuesday and take her to the afterschool dance class that's in the same school building. Our kids are in pre-K and licensing requires a signature for each child. The dance teacher that is coming to the school, can't sign her DD out as she's preparing for the class. I don't mind doing it as it's all of 2 minutes to sign and walk her DD up stairs when I'm there picking up DS.

If you explained the situation to me, I would help out. It would mean your DS tagging along to some of our after school activities, but it's only 5 days.

egoldber
04-16-2010, 02:29 PM
but in my mind it's not appropriate to use for longer stretches of time

Maybe ask a couple different parents? I understand your reluctance, but it has been my experience that people generally want to help. Just make it clear that you're happy to compensate for their time and/or that they should feel free to say no.

I actually like playdates because it keeps my older kid distracted and I can concentrate on the younger one. So not all people may feel like that are a bother.

Also, I know that some teachers at our school do child care for people's kids after school. Usually the young, single ones looking for extra money. As long as they are not in their class, I think it's OK.

AnnieW625
04-16-2010, 02:48 PM
I am sure that your new employer will understand. I agree with Beth people will want to help if they could.

niccig
04-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Maybe ask a couple different parents? I understand your reluctance, but it has been my experience that people generally want to help. Just make it clear that you're happy to compensate for their time and/or that they should feel free to say no.

I actually like playdates because it keeps my older kid distracted and I can concentrate on the younger one. So not all people may feel like that are a bother.

I agree. Maybe ask 2-3 different people. A couple of us mothers have the same attidue - none of us have family to rely on, so we all help each other. It's like karma. If I help someone, then when I need help, either they or someone else will step up. If you explain why you need help, people would understand...not your facult the volcano is preventing air travel.

crl
04-16-2010, 06:37 PM
I think it would be appropriate to ask other moms for help and agree with asking 2 or 3 to spread out the burden. If you'd like, you could offer an exchange, say to have their kid over for a Saturday evening playddate so the other parents could go out to dinner or something like that. I know I'm happy to help out in circumstances like these and appreciate it when the other mom offers to reciprocate.

Catherine

kozachka
04-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Thank you for all your support, ladies. So far I've been able to line up after school care for Wednesday-Friday at a Chinese emmersion school (there is one hour Mandarin class right after school, which should be interesting) till 6P. They take $10 per hour plus $50 registration fee, which is ~$15 per hour, about the same as I would have to pay a sitter, but I think my very social DS would enjoy being with other kids better than with a sitter. Also DS former swimming teacher, who he adores, can pick him up on Wednesday evening, and friend's mom could babysit DS on Wednesday and Thursday. The same friend, whose son is DS friend and attends the Chinese emmersion school (so DS will have a friend there on Th and Fr), has agreed to take care of DS on Friday evening if I don't find anybody else. And I found another babysitter who lives in our apartment complex but she is expensive ($20 per hour) and DS did not like her.

Now I just need to figure out what to do for pre-school care. Worst case scenario, I'll pay for a month at daycare center on school's site. I left a message with them this morning, but have yet to hear back from them. Wish me luck, I am running out of time here.

TwinFoxes
04-19-2010, 07:58 PM
I hope everything works out for you. This must be extremely stressful, especially since you're starting a new job!

mommy111
04-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Luck wishes headed your way...I've been in these binds and I feel for you!

GaPeach_in_Ca
04-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Good luck tomorrow! Hope your first day goes well!