PDA

View Full Version : Favorite baked oatmeal flavor profiles?

Sillygirl
04-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Baked oatmeal is a HUGE hit around here! I've made some some every week this month. The boys love it and it's so healthy and filling for them. I've figured out that one sack of Bob's Red Mill oats is ten cups, and the big container of Stonyfield Cream Top yogurt is four cups - perfect for two batches.

So far we've tried the following mix-ins:
Apple Cinnamon: Apples, cinnamon and vanilla extract
Banana Chai: bananas, vanilla, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom
Blueberry Almond: frozen blueberries and almond extract

I've been thinking pumpkin gingerbread - canned pumpkin puree, molasses for some of the sweetener, and chopped candied ginger.

Any other favorites? Do people do sour or sweet cherries in season?

salsah
04-16-2010, 07:48 PM
since i started making baked oatmeal, i've been wanting to ask this too. unfortunately, dd1 likes it best plain, no fruit. she doesn't mind walnuts though.

we have tried lots of things and like them all. but dh and i's favorites are apple cinnamon and cranberry walnut.

next on my list to try is pumpkin. but for dd1, i'm just going to do plain pumpkin (with a little cinnamon and nutmeg).

catroddick
04-16-2010, 07:50 PM
I've only done apples and blueberries so far- but loved it!

Your Pumpkin idea has me intrigued- I'd love to hear if anyone has done a pumpkin!

Momof3Labs
04-16-2010, 07:51 PM
I love using the frozen berry blend at Costco in my baked oatmeal - blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. Yum. I've used ripe bananas before, and substituted baby food for the applesauce, but keep on coming back to the berry blend. Sooooo good.

jgenie
04-16-2010, 07:53 PM
My favorite is pear and raisin made with ripe fresh pears - sooo good.

I've also made:
- peach blueberry using canned peaches and frozen wild blueberries.
- banana split - fresh bananas, canned pineapple and frozen strawberries

vludmilla
04-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Walnuts and dark chocolate chips, sometimes with banana pieces too.

Sillygirl
04-16-2010, 08:16 PM
since i started making baked oatmeal, i've been wanting to ask this too. unfortunately, dd1 likes it best plain, no fruit. she doesn't mind walnuts though.

we have tried lots of things and like them all. but dh and i's favorites are apple cinnamon and cranberry walnut.

next on my list to try is pumpkin. but for dd1, i'm just going to do plain pumpkin (with a little cinnamon and nutmeg).

For the cranberry walnut, do you use fresh, frozen, or dried cranberries? And do you add cinnamon, vanilla, anything else?

I do find the recipe needs a little salt (as do almost all baked sweet goods) to perk up the flavor.

DebbieJ
04-16-2010, 08:28 PM
we've mostly done dried cranberries with almonds or walnuts. I also sprinkle in a little cinnamon plus spice blend (kind of like pumpkin pie spice) and vanilla.
I tried some dried apples once. It was vile. We didn't like them to snack on and they didn't improve when added to the oatmeal.

pb&j
04-16-2010, 08:32 PM
I did pumpkin blueberry with cinnamon maybe? that actually tasted really good but looked disgusting. Blueberry + pumpkin = necrotic-looking oatmeal. So, I would not recommend it. Nobody wanted to eat it, despite it being delicious.

ITA about the salt. Just doesn't taste right without it.

Seitvonzu
04-16-2010, 08:32 PM
i made a batch yesterday and put half in two separate 8x8 pans-- i did apple strawberry and apple raspberry. the apple strawberry is practically gone (we ate it on a playdate with friends) and i haven't tried the apple raspberry yet.

dd isn't as big a fan and me :) oh well :(

liz
04-17-2010, 09:00 AM
oooohh, never heard of baked oatmeal. We go through tons of oatmeal for breakfast, but I would love to find something different to serve the kids and hubby. What is the recipe you all are talking about?

Melaine
04-17-2010, 09:09 AM
oooohh, never heard of baked oatmeal. We go through tons of oatmeal for breakfast, but I would love to find something different to serve the kids and hubby. What is the recipe you all are talking about?

Here is my version of the recipe:
BBB Magic Oatmeal “Cake”

Combine:
4-5 cups of oatmeal
1-2 cups of yogurt
2 cups warm water

Let this sit on the counter for a few hours.

Preheat oven to 350*

Combine in a separate bowl:
1 cup sweetener: sugar, honey, molasses, turbinado, or whatever you want
3/4 cup oil
4 eggs
1 Tbls cinnamon
1 Tbls baking powder
2 Tsp. vanilla

Add to oatmeal/yogurt mixture, then add:
1-2 cups of milk to desired texture: more milk makes it custardy, less makes it cakey
1-2 cups fruit of choice (fresh, dried, frozen)

Dump it in a 9" x 13" greased pan, bake for 1 hour. Let cool, then keep in fridge, you can reheat or eat cold.

Ideas for ingredients: frozen blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, strawberries, bananas, applesauce, chopped apples, pears, peaches, raisins, golden raisins, canned p-apple, walnuts, almonds, wheat germ, bran, flax seed. Dessert version: cherries and mini chocolate chips.

We make this pretty much every week. This week we went to the lake with my parents and I took a pan. My parents had had it before but both said it was the best pan yet. I used frozen blueberries, chopped apples, walnuts and dried cranberries. But, I'd done that combo before so I can only assume that the difference was actually Coconut Oil in place of regular oil. It does have a mild coconut flavor, so I'm thinking that made the difference. We totally love this stuff and it has made my mornings much more pleasant.

Puddy73
04-17-2010, 09:12 AM
I usually use Traverse Bay dried cherries or blueberries with a little almond extract, but these other ideas sound yummy, too! I'm looking forward to trying peach this summer.

liz
04-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the recipe Melaine. I will definitely try this recipe very soon!

kijip
04-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Dried Cherries and Dark Chocolate (for a dessert)

Pineapple and coconut.

Blackberry.

Our regular morning is Cranberries, Raisins. Sometimes Cherries and Blueberries.

salsah
04-17-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm looking forward to trying peach this summer.

me too. we love peaches. last time i was at tj's picking up apple sauce crushers, i saw the jars of peaches and pears, and immediately thought of the baked oatmeal -- but i'd like to try with fresh pears or fresh peaches.

m448
04-17-2010, 04:06 PM
I don't do the baked oatmeal but in my stovetop oatmeal which is similar (minus the eggs) I like to make a pear/ginger version with a good bit of grated pears and some dried or candied ginger.

I make a plain vanilla one (with real vanilla) that I top with a bit of brown sugar for a melty treat and of course banana with those bananas that have gone extremely brown is great and requires much less sweetener. I like adding finely ground flaxseed powder too for a protein boost (we have nut allergies in the household).

Sillygirl
04-17-2010, 05:29 PM
I've got the pumpkin gingerbread baking now - if it turns out as good as it smells I'll post the amounts I used.

BeachBum
04-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Interesting recipe...I've always made the Cooking Light magazine recipe
Has anyone made both to compare?

Baked Oatmeal

CL Oct. '03 pg. 223

-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup dried cherries
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 t. baking powder
1 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. freshly grated nutmeg
1 pinch salt
1 1/2 cups fat-free or 1% milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used Mott's Healthy Harvest berry flavored applesauce)
1 T. pure vanilla extract
2 T. melted butter
1 egg -- beaten well

Preheat oven to 375 deg.

Combine first 8 ingredients in medium bowl.

Combine the milk, applesauce, butter, and egg whites. Beat well.

Pour mixture into an 8 inch square baking dish coated with Pam. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes or so until oatmeal is set.

Serve hot with milk poured over it. Or garnish with yogurt and/or fruit.

Store leftovers in the fridge and heat in the microwave.

Yield: 5 to 6 servings

NOTES : Make sure you beat the egg whites well or you will get pockets of cooked egg white in the oatmeal. Original recipe didn't have dried cherries, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, or salt. And called for 2 T. butter and 1 whole egg insead of 2 egg whites. I might add even more cinnamon and nutmeg next time. I think diced apple or fresh blueberries would also be good in this.

Sillygirl
04-17-2010, 05:44 PM
I think one of the big difference is the presoaking of the oats in a yogurt-water mix for a few hours at room temperature. I have read this helps break down some of the starches in oatmeal that can be tough to digest. I haven't done the research to verify this, but it does taste really good.

salsah
04-17-2010, 05:53 PM
I've got the pumpkin gingerbread baking now - if it turns out as good as it smells I'll post the amounts I used.

yummy! i would love to make some right now but i am too sick. can you please send me a piece?

cono0507
04-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Has anyone ever made it egg-free or found a recipe without eggs that was good? This would be a great quick breakfast but DS is allergic to eggs.

ETA - just found this:
http://mustfollowrecipes.blogspot.com/2009/01/amish-baked-oatmeal.html
I think i'll give it a try! :)

salsah
04-19-2010, 09:07 PM
i just thought of another idea:

bananas, macadamia nuts, and coconut

i might have to try that before the pumpkin.

salsah
04-19-2010, 09:09 PM
ITA about the salt. Just doesn't taste right without it.

how much salt do you add? i tried 1/2 tsp, just wondering how much everyone else adds.

cono0507
04-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Does this end up being something one eats with a fork or is it more like a bar that you pick up? Planning to make it this week (the egg free version) :)

twowhat?
04-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Does this end up being something one eats with a fork or is it more like a bar that you pick up? Planning to make it this week (the egg free version) :)

Yes, someone please explain more about the consistency...it is something that kids could eat as a snack in the car (i.e. not make too much of a mess)? I'm intruigued. Also - are you supposed to use the quick-cooking oats or regular rolled oats?

salsah
04-19-2010, 11:27 PM

i haven't tried the egg free version, but with the BBB traditional baked oatmeal, you can make it more cake like by using less milk, or more custard like by adding more milk.

for an egg-free version, i think that you can use ground flax seed as an egg substitute (directions are on the package).

salsah
04-19-2010, 11:28 PM
Yes, someone please explain more about the consistency...it is something that kids could eat as a snack in the car (i.e. not make too much of a mess)? I'm intruigued. Also - are you supposed to use the quick-cooking oats or regular rolled oats?

i use quick but i think that you could use either. i would not try steel cut though.

essnce629
04-20-2010, 01:19 AM
Has anyone ever made it egg-free or found a recipe without eggs that was good? This would be a great quick breakfast but DS is allergic to eggs.

DS1 is egg-free due to his eczema and we use Ener G egg replacer. I buy it at Whole Foods. You mix 1 1/2 tsp of the powder with 2 tbsp of warm water to equal one egg. I've never had a problem using it in any of my recipes. Here's what it looks like:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00127FW3K/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001GVIRKM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0S38V8DSC60RTDG7MDKX

baymom
04-20-2010, 02:22 AM
I can't wait to try this! I had never heard of it before, but it sounds delicious!!

egoldber
04-20-2010, 07:14 AM
I substitute applesauce for all of the oil. I also cut the sugar by a LOT because I thought it was too sweet.

I prefer it pretty plain and generally add 1-2 mashed bananas, cinnamon and vanilla and that's it.

I've added dried cranberries, raisins, crushed cashews and almonds, protein powder, frozen blueberries, etc. Too much fresh fruit makes it pretty soggy and I don't like it that way personally. I prefer it to cook up like a bar that I can pick up and eat. I've also used soymilk instead of regular milk and then not added vanilla.

When I first started making this, younger DD was still eating jar baby food and after she was done I had about a dozen jars to use up. We had some weird flavor combos for awhile. :)

I like the idea of pumpkin though.

Here's my version:

Combine:
5 cups of old fashioned rolled oats
2 cups of plain yogurt (i have used flavored yogurt in a pinch)
2 cups warm water

Let this sit on the counter for a few hours.

Preheat oven to 350*

Combine in a separate bowl:
1/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbls baking powder
1 Tbls vanilla

Combine with oatmeal mixture, then add 1.5 cups of milk to desired texture. Add 1-2 mashed bananas or other preferred additions.

Place in greased 9" x 13" pan, bake for about 50 minutes.

o_mom
04-20-2010, 07:47 AM

Depending on how much milk you use, you can make it so it could be picked up. I usually go on the more 'cake' side of the milk - 1 c or less.

I have also made it in muffin pans, just cut the baking time by about 10 mins. Many times I make a whole batch, fill my muffin pans (12 muffins) and then pour the rest in a slightly smaller pan than it calls for.

I use regular rolled oats, not the quick-cook.

lfp2n
04-20-2010, 09:10 AM
How many slices do you usually get out of a tin- I added up the Calories in Beth's recipe its 2585 (if she meant using unpacked brown sugar and nonfat yoghurt, a bit more for lowfat) with no other add ins. Which seems kind of high, but maybe you don't need much for breakfast?

egoldber
04-20-2010, 09:16 AM
I would estimate that I cut a 13x9 pan into about 16 bars. So per serving, it isn't bad. I do typically use lowfat vs nonfat yogurt. And the calories is one reason I stopped using dried fruit, they add sooooo many calories!

Leeannpk
04-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Do you think it would work with greek style yogurt? I have a 16 oz container of it sitting in my fridge right now...

icunurse
04-20-2010, 09:50 AM
How many slices do you usually get out of a tin- I added up the Calories in Beth's recipe its 2585 (if she meant using unpacked brown sugar and nonfat yoghurt, a bit more for lowfat) with no other add ins. Which seems kind of high, but maybe you don't need much for breakfast?

I don't remember the total calories, but I just made it for the first time (delicious - thanks, Beth!) and cut it into 12 pieces, which I think is a generous serving. The Weight Watchers points came out to 6/slice. I used rolled oats, 2% milk (will use skim next time), fat-free yogurt, egg beaters, 1/2 c applesauce + 1/4 cup canola oil, 1/2 c sugar + 1/2 cup honey and added blueberries. Working to see how low in calories/fat/sugar I can make it :)

cono0507
04-20-2010, 04:52 PM
DS1 is egg-free due to his eczema and we use Ener G egg replacer. I buy it at Whole Foods. You mix 1 1/2 tsp of the powder with 2 tbsp of warm water to equal one egg. I've never had a problem using it in any of my recipes. Here's what it looks like:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00127FW3K/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001GVIRKM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0S38V8DSC60RTDG7MDKX

Thanks! We are rather new to the egg allergy and he has never like baked goods much so I didn't know about it. I picked some up at WF today and I'm going to try it in this oatmeal (currently soaking on the counter!) :)

JoyNChrist
04-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Our favorite is banana blueberry with vanilla & almond extract and some crushed almonds.

Dying to know about the pumpkin though...I love me some pumpkin!

essnce629
04-21-2010, 01:35 AM
I have also made it in muffin pans, just cut the baking time by about 10 mins. Many times I make a whole batch, fill my muffin pans (12 muffins) and then pour the rest in a slightly smaller pan than it calls for.

Oooo, muffin pans sounds like a good idea. I think I'm going to try that next (my oats are soaking right now).

catroddick
04-22-2010, 02:19 PM
For those that add flax seed- how much do you add? Trying to determine if I over-did it....

I did put half my recipe in the muffin pan this time so I could freeze single servings- worked great!!

essnce629
04-22-2010, 05:11 PM
For those that add flax seed- how much do you add? Trying to determine if I over-did it....

I did put half my recipe in the muffin pan this time so I could freeze single servings- worked great!!

I cut the whole recipe in half-- so it fills an 8x8 pan-- and usually add 2-4 tbsp of ground flax seed. I did mine in muffin pans this time too, but next time I need to fill the cups all the way up since it doesn't rise at all. I also lined my muffin pan with paper cups and the baked oatmeal completely stuck to the liners until after they had been in the fridge overnight. I think I'll skip the paper cups next time. I mixed in a half of a banana and 2 cups of frozen berry mix (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries from TJs) and it was very good. I don't add any milk at all.