PDA

View Full Version : Please help me shop for my DH's b-day???

MontrealMum
04-18-2010, 02:07 AM
Please BBB shoppers and gifters extraordinaire :love5:
My DH will be 41 on Wed. I *knew* this date was coming, and have asked, and asked, and asked....no hints, no requests...nothing. This is not all that new, DH never wants anything, but usually I manage to do something, if not fab, well, OK.

Pleeeeese help me...I will bump this again in the A.M. as I realize most of you are asleep... :sleep: I need something decent, for me and for DS...who wants to buy him a truck, or a train...I asked.

Criteria...

If I had to describe him, DH is a guy's guy. He's in IT, he was a Science major, and he's very outdoorsy.

-DH really doesn't read for pleasure anymore, already has a subscription to Outside mag. Tho he is reading the "Three Cups of Tea" book that he recieved for Xmas
-I usually buy clothes for him, and will probably get a shirt or something
-He is very, very sporty...like wilderness survival kind of sporty. Usually he buys his own stuff; certainly for the big-ticket things. In terms of smaller items, he already has plenty of bottles and waterproof stuff sacks but if there's some new innovation out there...
-He's very fond of the car? I don't really know much about car accessories anymore
-He doesn't really have any local friends that would be into a guy's night out sort of thing so that's a no-go...
-He likes to eat, so I will probably do his favorite meal for dinner; he also likes coffee and beer

I have Mon. to shop alone, and Tues. I would have DS with me (along with a long naptime midafternoon to contend with).
I have access to several malls, highlights include:
-Gap/BR/Can equiv of TJ Maxx
-MEC and other local sports stores
-Home Depot/Canadian Tire and similar though he already has a lot of fix-it things
-Chapters/Indigo (Can. Barnes and Noble equiv)

a very good printer :)

Anything standard is welcome, but if anyone has anything unusual or creative or totally out-there...please share :)

*also please ignore that I've somehow managed to highlight all the 'e's in this post. Hopefully, that's just appearing for me, not you.

elektra
04-18-2010, 02:17 AM
My DH turned 41 last month too. He wanted an iPad so that's what I got him.
It doesn't sound like that is what you had in mind but I know what it's like being up late and hoping someone responds!
When you mentioned the car thing it got me thinking of how DH got to do this thing at work a year or so ago where he got to go out on these desert roads and drive a Lambhorghini (sp?), Ferrari, ..... a total of 5 or 6 different fancy fast cars like that. DH's got invited through some kind of car magazine, but I think you could buy the experience for someone as a gift too. DH loved it and he framed the pictures of himself standing next to the cars! I'll ask him if he knew the company.

infomama
04-18-2010, 02:23 AM
Off the top of my head I would say a nice pair of sunglasses (we like Oakley or Native), a tool of some sort (like a ratchet set), a hammock with a stand (LL Bean has a nice one), a pair of Danner boots (DH has 5 pair of these and they are the BEST boots for an outdoorsman IMO), GPS for the car or perhaps a planned camping trip for your family?

MontrealMum
04-18-2010, 02:25 AM
Thanks Elektra, you're very sweet :)

The Ipad would be out only because DH doesn't do Apple (diff. certs) but he's still very techie...

Actually, the car driving thing sounds like it might appeal to DH if you can find some info on it. I am just so lost this year. He has this very "guy" side that I really don't understand much, but is very tuned into those big-name archetypal cars and speed. When we're out, or on the road, it's like he has this special radar...he'll be like "look at the Ferrari XYZ whatever", and I'm like, "huh, what?" I am so not up to that sort of thing :(

MontrealMum
04-18-2010, 02:28 AM
Infomama, those are great suggestions!

I don't know what Danner boots are (DH has boots, but they're ancient) , but I'm on it! With DS turning 3 in Aug. we're finally ready to get back into camping and light hiking. He's very brand loyal to Oakley, and very into camping!!! Off to do some searching...

Mostly, I am just so uninspired this year :( Does this happen to everyone?

Melaine
04-18-2010, 07:36 AM

Heck yeah. I was going to post the same type thing for my DH but I honestly ran out of time to even do so. His birthday is TODAY! Honestly, I'm jealous that your DH seems to have a fairly wide range of interests. Mine is a little narrower. I finally bought him about 5 shirts from Eddie Bauer because he was in desperate need and it is hard to find the long ones. I got him the second season of "The Big Bang Theory", an Iron Man bobble head, some candy he likes, some gourmet root beer and jam (both favorites), and a set of Citiblocs from the girls.

One thing I thought of if your DH likes coffee is this: http://www.reusablebags.com/store/coffee-filter-straw-wisdom-wands-p-2326.html
I just saw it yesterday and was intrigued.
Another thing I saw here on the BBB was Tom's shoes: http://www.toms.com/mens/classics?view=all
I'd like to get some for DH and myself, but not sure how much he'd really like them.

Good luck. I feel your frustration!

hillview
04-18-2010, 08:28 AM
How about a kindle?
/hillary

mamicka
04-18-2010, 08:54 AM

I don't have any gift suggestions but I wanted to respond to this. It has definitely happened here, but we discussed it & we're OK with it. DH turned 41 last fall & I can't for the life of me remember what I got him. Maybe a book? Anyhow, don't feel bad that you are at this point wrt gift-giving. It's normal & you'll figure it out.

KrisM
04-18-2010, 10:14 AM
How about an off-road driving school? It's outdoorsy.

I went to a work-sponosored off-road class years ago and it's quite fun to drive 4WD trucks down crazy hills, through mud, etc. I've also done winter testing where the course is on snow and ice and that's pretty fun as well.

Land Rover offers one in Montebello, Quebec. http://www.landrover.com/us/en/Owners/Drive_Off_Road/Driving_Schools/Fairmont%20Le%20Chateau%20Montebello.htm

bubbaray
04-18-2010, 10:29 AM
My fallback is always something from MEC, usually something bike-related.

What about a repair stand? If you want to spend more, add in some tools.

My DH really loves his Oakley sunglasses. Nice sunglasses are always nice (but give a GC or something).

bubbaray
04-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Also, what about new body armor for mtn biking?

wellyes
04-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Geeky / electronic stuff:

Satellite radio subscription plus a car kit - like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Sportster-Satellite-Radio-Receiver-Vehicle/dp/B000WOWUKM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271600844&sr=8-1

Harmony One universal remote of awesomeness http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Advanced-Universal-Remote/dp/B002RL875A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271601009&sr=1-1

For outdoorsy stuff, wrist-mounted GPS receiver: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Receiver-Heart-Monitor/dp/B000CSWCQA/ref=pd_ts_e_7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

If you have a bigger budget and he does not have an SLR camera, I don't know any guy who wouldn't be thrilled to get a Rebel: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Camera-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B0012YA85A/ref=pd_ts_e_16?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

pinkmomagain
04-18-2010, 12:10 PM
I too was going to say satellite radio for the car. My dh has XM and we both really enjoy the programming....especially if your dh spends alot of time in his car.

Another thing is your dh might like is an audio book. My dh really enjoys audio books that he listens to in the car.

MontrealMum
04-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks so much! You ladies are great :bowdown: I don't know why, but I just couldn't seem to get started at all this year - though it's very nice to hear that I'm not alone in that either! I guess this is what happens when you're together for a long time?

I've got enough to get me started now, and will go out shopping tomorrow. Also seriously considering the driving course- Montebello is beautiful, I could spend some time in their spa while DH does his guy thing!

I had to laugh at this description:

Harmony One universal remote of awesomeness http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo...1601009&sr=1-1

elektra
04-18-2010, 12:25 PM
DH said his driving thing was with World Class Driving. FYI.

salsah
04-18-2010, 01:38 PM
dh is the same way. he never wants anything. fortunately for us, we are both happy not exchanging gifts. (we would rather not waste money on something we don't need just because there is a special occasion.)

my dh is a techie (but not an apple user) and the latest thing he has bought is an fm modulator for listening to mps's in the car (he loves music). you can also get one for using your cell phone in the car. (dh doesn't like using the bluetooth, he prefers using the car speakers instead.)

does he like his cell phone? could he use an upgrade?

a new watch?

i got a wallet for dh once because his old one was really worn and he refused to buy a new one himself.

i just asked dh if he has any ideas of what you could get, he said "nothing." and that is why we don't exchange gifts anymore.

KpbS
04-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks for bringing this up. DH's birthday is right around the corner and he hasn't had any ideas at all about how to celebrate his birthday, much less what he would like. And like most men, he buys bigger ticket items randomly so it is harder to think of something he'd like for a birthday.

Tondi G
04-18-2010, 04:24 PM
If he is into cars then you could always find a good car detailing person who comes out to your house and makes his car feel like it's brand new and sparkling clean!

salsah
04-18-2010, 06:01 PM
If he is into cars then you could always find a good car detailing person who comes out to your house and makes his car feel like it's brand new and sparkling clean!

i'm not that into cars but i would love that!

Fairy
04-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Have you had a look at www.thinkgeek.com? I know you won't get it in time for Wednesday, but maybe you could order it and then wrap up a photo of it real nicely so he knows what he's getting. That is my GO-TO for just about everyone I know, especially men. Doesn't matter what their interests are, you're gooing to find a gem here. Good luck, Hon!

BillK
04-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Well I know it's kinda lame but if he's outdoorsy - how about a gift cert for Cabelas and he can get what he wants?

MontrealMum
04-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Have you had a look at www.thinkgeek.com? I know you won't get it in time for Wednesday, but maybe you could order it and then wrap up a photo of it real nicely so he knows what he's getting. That is my GO-TO for just about everyone I know, especially men. Doesn't matter what their interests are, you're gooing to find a gem here. Good luck, Hon!

Fairy, this site is amazing! They have a sonic screwdriver on the main page!!!

You guys have given me lots to think about - I am also very indecisive lately - but I'm going to spend the evening tracking some of this stuff down and developing my plan of attack for shopping :D

Bill, the g/c idea is not lame at all. I was *this close* to getting one, and reserve the right to keep that on the table!

KrisM
05-04-2010, 09:37 PM
I was wondering what you did and how he liked it.

ourbabygirl
05-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Yeah, and thanks for starting this thread! I just read through everyone's ideas to try to come up with something for DH for Father's Day... :)

MontrealMum
05-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks for asking Kris!

After lots of reading here, thinking things over, and grilling DH again, I pushed DS around the MEC (Canadian sporting goods store) and let him pick things that were down at his level. This did not include the orange kayak that he liked ;) This included a flashlight, a Camelbak BPA free bottle with two non-matching sippy inserts, a plastic waterproof case for his phone, some protein bars, cow print socks....there's more, but I've forgotten since we had to hide it quickly from DS who mistakenly thought it was all for him LOL! Oh, also the stroller kit for the Chariot.

I also bought a new set of balcony furniture which DH agreed that we need, and I printed up a pic of DS and framed it. I cooked his favorite dinner and made red velvet cupcakes :) We have also agreed to mail order new Birks for him but I needed him to pick them out.

With Father's Day coming up I now have TONS of ideas for that too and am sure to use some from this thread, so thanks so much to everyone for sharing. I told DH about the various driving courses and he was very intrigued - and had already researched awhile back - the one in Montebello! So I may do that one for him for Xmas :)

lil_acorn
05-04-2010, 10:43 PM
I'm getting my husband's car detailed as a surprise. I know..not glamorous but I think he'll like it! Funny thing is, he keeps offering to get my car detailed but I like my car messy! :-)

KrisM
05-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks for asking Kris!

After lots of reading here, thinking things over, and grilling DH again, I pushed DS around the MEC (Canadian sporting goods store) and let him pick things that were down at his level. This did not include the orange kayak that he liked ;) This included a flashlight, a Camelbak BPA free bottle with two non-matching sippy inserts, a plastic waterproof case for his phone, some protein bars, cow print socks....there's more, but I've forgotten since we had to hide it quickly from DS who mistakenly thought it was all for him LOL! Oh, also the stroller kit for the Chariot.

I also bought a new set of balcony furniture which DH agreed that we need, and I printed up a pic of DS and framed it. I cooked his favorite dinner and made red velvet cupcakes :) We have also agreed to mail order new Birks for him but I needed him to pick them out.

With Father's Day coming up I now have TONS of ideas for that too and am sure to use some from this thread, so thanks so much to everyone for sharing. I told DH about the various driving courses and he was very intrigued - and had already researched awhile back - the one in Montebello! So I may do that one for him for Xmas :)

Sounds great!

For fun sometime, you should take DS to a Dollar Store and let him spend $5 on anything he wants for DH :). I do that when the kids are young and it's really funny. DH once got a pen with "Marty" on it. His name is not Marty. He got a flashlight, papertowel holder, and cookies one year :).

And the kayak sounds like fun, too!

SnuggleBuggles
05-04-2010, 10:49 PM
You could buy him tickets to the Stanley Cup play off games if he likes hockey. :)

Think Geek is awesome, isn't it? Dh's coworker has his wedding registry there. It cracks me up!

Beth

Jen841
05-05-2010, 09:17 AM
You mentioned he likes food and is a scientist, any chance he likes BBQ? DH who is NOT a cook LOVES our Cookshack Smoker. They have a good cookbook, and so does Paul Kirk. We have fun planning meals and making things on the smoker. It takes planning and we enjoy doing it together.

Our Weber grill is another prized item in our house.

For outdoor stuff does he have a good headlamp? Friends think it is the best thing ever for camping/hiking. I want one and asked for one for Mother's Day.

My last minute gift is Picture People Pictures. DH recently asked for a good picture of me with the boys, so that was it! Photo mugs are a fall back too, I get them via CVS.

My DH's weakness is Starbucks, so a gift card can get me out of a jam. I have also done things on his To Do list he did not get to yet (i.e., estimates for house jobs, taken car for oil change, making medical appts, bike in for a tune-up (which ended up with a series of questions I had to go to him for, but I took and picked up the bike which was a treat,...)

MontrealMum
05-05-2010, 11:18 AM
DH once got a pen with "Marty" on it. His name is not Marty. He got a flashlight, papertowel holder, and cookies one year :).

This is too funny :hysterical: I forgot to mention that I also let DS pick out his own card for DH. It says "To a special girl on her birthday". It's pink with glitter, and a very large soccer ball. He chose it for the soccer ball. He didn't like being restricted to a specific section of the card aisle ;)

KrisM
05-05-2010, 11:53 AM
This is too funny :hysterical: I forgot to mention that I also let DS pick out his own card for DH. It says "To a special girl on her birthday". It's pink with glitter, and a very large soccer ball. He chose it for the soccer ball. He didn't like being restricted to a specific section of the card aisle ;)

:rotflmao: