PDA

View Full Version : Finding Friends for DS

MacMacMoo
04-18-2010, 04:18 AM
DS is 20 months old. I feel bad that he hasn't any friends. He's with me all the time expect for at church during service and the monthly Parent's night out.

We moved up here last June, and well I myself haven't made any friends. I'm not anti-social, but being a homebody does not help i suppose. DH is military but I really haven't had much like with other military moms I just don't fit in with them. I have enough drama in my life and and don't like how they like to add to it. Our neighborhood hasn't any little kids just lots of old folks or family with high school aged kids.

The weather has been yucky for the past who knows how many months. But it's starting to clear up. I plan to start taking DS tot he park daily. But its one thing to go to the park, its other to be able to become a part of a playgroup.

Any ideas?

infomama
04-18-2010, 04:52 AM
:hug:Don't stress.. I am confident he is just fine being with his mama at 20 months. How about story time at the library or a Little Gym/Gymboree type of place?

essnce629
04-18-2010, 04:57 AM
I just went on meetup.com this week and found like 8 mom's groups in my area. I joined 3 of them and already have about 7 playdates/activities to go to over the next 3 weeks. Just go on the site, type in "moms" in the search and your zipcode and see what pops up. I also typed in "breastfeeding" and "attachment parenting" to find some of the more natural parenting groups (found 3). I also just joined my local MOMS club. http://www.momsclub.org/

We also tried out all the free classes for Gymboree, My Gym, and Kindermusik as well and decided to do a Gymboree Play & Learn class once a week. DS2 really enjoyed all the classes we tried out and liked being around all the babies.

edurnemk
04-18-2010, 09:37 AM
I've been there, and my answer was to sign up for classes like Gymboree (we made really good friends there, and started doing playdates, DS LOVES Gymboree), baby and me yoga class (but he was younger than yours), etc.

There's also story hour at the library and Barnes and Noble (we'd also just go to B&N to play with the Thomas train table and there's usually other kids there). And of course when the weather is nice, we'd go to the park.

♥ms.pacman♥
04-18-2010, 09:48 AM
:hug: i've been in a similar situation. we are relatively new to the area and our neighbors all have kids that are much older (age 3 and up, mostly schoolage) so it was hard to socialize with them because first we didnt' have kids and then even now our kids can't really play together since DS is so young. and i stayed at home after moving here so i didn't get to make friends at work or anything like that. so like essnce629, i recently joined a few mom's meetup groups and i think it really helps..i've met a few local SAHMs who have kids who are close in age to DS, and we can do things during the day (go for stroller walks, have lunch etc). i also met a few moms at a LaLeche meeting.

SnuggleBuggles
04-18-2010, 09:56 AM
We became part of a playgroup by talking to another mom at the playground! It's where I wound up meeting my 2 closest mom friends! If you go to the park, like another family, just go ahead and swap info and get in touch about a playdate. That will get things rolling. :) It's like dating but a bit easier! Maybe you could try a class (Music Together, gymnastics) or start going to story hours. I bet you'll be able to hook with someone. Maybe you could hang a sign at the library or church about a toddler meet up at the playground so you can have like a speed dating session where you have lots of potentials corralled into one place. :)

Beth

smilequeen
04-18-2010, 09:58 AM
With DS1, we signed up for classes. We only had Gymboree in that town at the time, but our long term playgroup was a group of kids he was in Gymboree with since he was an infant. Kids don't really start interacting with other kids a lot until closer to 2.5/3, so his best friends were always from preschool rather than playgroup. However, *I* needed to be around the other moms :)

♥ms.pacman♥
04-18-2010, 10:01 AM
^LOL snugglebuggles i love the dating comparison, so true though! that's how i felt after moving here, and it was hard because i tend to be on the shy side. plus it felt like everyone already had their own group friends so i didnt' want to be like an intruder or whatever. though i think you'd be pleasently surrpised that a lot of other moms are in the same situation (want to make more mommy friends)

Carrots
04-18-2010, 10:03 AM
I met some great friends at a local baby store which runs an infant and toddler playdate weekly. From there, I continued to see the same moms and kids at story time at our local library.

hellokitty
04-18-2010, 09:22 PM
www.momsclub.org

I tried for years to make friends on my own, going to library storytimes, signing up for swim and music classes, nothing. I finally made friends after joining moms club. The moms who join WANT to make new friends, I found that very helpful.