PDA

View Full Version : Nanny questions

mms5p
04-18-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm a mommy-to-be, due with our first in late August. Due to work obligations, we are looking to hire a nanny to take care of our child when I go back to work in the fall. We will be interviewing a candidate who just kind of fell into our lap, for which we are very thankful as we have a personal connection with one of her family members. Potentially this is a bit different arrangement than a traditional nanny b/c she will be having a child a few months ahead of ours and wants to watch our child and hers together in our home.

A few questions
1. What's the going pay for nannies where you live? Do you pay hourly or salary?
2. Do you provide vacation pay? How is that arranged?
3. Is there a payroll company that you have used to manage taxes, etc?
4. What duties other than childcare do you include in her responsibilities?
5. How did you do a background check?
6. Anyone have experience w/ a nanny watching her child and yours in your home? Any suggestions or issues to address ahead of time?

We would greatly appreciate any insights that you may have.

maylips
04-18-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm bumping this for you since you posted on the weekend and some mamas may check this board while they are at at work (not that they aren't working, but you know what I mean!)

If you don't get many answers, do an advanced search of nannies because I know there is a computer program that can help you with taxes and such.

Good luck and congratulations!