PDA

View Full Version : Need new socks...

o_mom
04-18-2010, 08:14 PM
So, let me explain my sock strategy... I buy one brand only (in your best Sean Connery voice) in each size. That way if I have a navy blue sock, I know it matches every other navy blue sock in that size. White sock? Can always match every other white sock.

For DS1 and DS2 we used the Old Navy turn-cuff socks. They were not too expensive lasted well (my kids grow sloooow, so DS2 is still in the 4/5's and the 2/3s have been in constant use for over 4 years now). But, we are starting to lose a few to holes so DS3 needs new socks. Problem is... they don't make the turn cuff socks anymore and my hopes of just supplementing our existing ones were dashed today. So, what is comparable?

I need:

- a few colors (usually white, navy blue and tan, gray is nice to have)
- sizes on the socks (for DH)
- one fold (not the triple roll - hate those)
- readily available in the near future for buying more after trying them (no Marshalls. TJ Maxx, etc.)
- thinner like the ON socks, not athletic-type socks

Target? Someplace else? Ds3 is not a shopper these days, so I need a targeted approach to this. :)

WatchingThemGrow
04-18-2010, 08:30 PM
They're online only http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=13130&vid=1&pid=652293&scid=652293002
Are those the right ones?
ETA: oops - didn't see that you want to move away from those.
Ever tried Gymboree socks? We have a fair amount of those and Hannas.

DrSally
04-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Have you looked at TCP? Not sure if those are single or triple roll though. Even with tripple roll, I just roll it once.

Dr C
04-18-2010, 09:18 PM
We use the target (circo) triple roll ones (usually found on an endcap in the baby section). They hold up fine except when the dog chews on them (he has a thing for socks... don't ask). I think they're pretty similar to ON ones, and would probably be close enough to match (if you're not too particular).

I like your idea of only buying one brand per size. We almost do that but it's more of an accident.

ETA: we don't roll them, even though they're "triple roll" Target does have single fold ones, but they don't have the sizes, and aren't non-slip.

o_mom
04-18-2010, 09:20 PM
They're online only http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=13130&vid=1&pid=652293&scid=652293002
Are those the right ones?
ETA: oops - didn't see that you want to move away from those.
Ever tried Gymboree socks? We have a fair amount of those and Hannas.

I actually liked the ON turn-cuff and was planning on just getting more, but those are the triple-roll ones that are longer and two turns is just not happening here. :) They guy in the store said they haven't had the turn-cuff in a few months.

We have a few pair of Gymbo socks and I wasn't thrilled. They were almost too thick and not stretchy enough. They are much harder for me to put on DS3, especially when he is squirming and kicking (does this age ever end?? It must have with the other two, but geesh, this seems to be going on forever!).

Have you looked at TCP? Not sure if those are single or triple roll though. Even with tripple roll, I just roll it once.

Haven't tried TCP - I'll look online first. If nothing else comes up, I may get one pair of the ON triple roll and see if we can make it work with one turn.

DrSally
04-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Here's some TCP ones. They appear thin and only have one fold
http://www.childrensplace.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TCPSearch?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&N=0&Ne=&Nao=0&sale=0&url=SearchView&Ntt=socks

SammyeGail
04-18-2010, 10:30 PM

:yeahthat:

I always just roll once too, down to the ankle ;). I have used mainly Gap for summer and Gap/Gymbo for winter. In the past I have used Childrens Place and Circo, to me they are like Old Navy's, on the thin side. I liked ON, they just never had what I needed in stock at the store. Gap was only $1-2 more for a set of 5 and they kept their shape/color so I stuck with them.

Gymbo is thicker and harder to put on, I usually stretch them out before I even try! My boys both have narrow feet, that may be a reason I can use them.

Last summer was the first time I bought some one roll printed socks from Gap,

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=50680&vid=1&pid=742381&scid=742381022

They were cute but I lost the match so easy it wasn't worth it to me.