PDA

View Full Version : Ack! My heating pad ignited!

MommyofAmaya
04-18-2010, 09:47 PM
The cord sparked up and burned my forearm (the pad was behind my back). I was nursing Sebastian. Luckily, he did not get burned.

Who do I report this to? This thing needs a recall.

Indianamom2
04-18-2010, 09:51 PM
http://www.cpsc.gov/

I would report it to the CPSC (linked above).

Are you okay? That's scary!

lalasmama
04-18-2010, 09:51 PM
CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Committee), as well as the company that manufactured it.

AJP
04-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Wow, that's scary! Hope your arm is ok and I'm glad it wasn't worse and that your baby is ok. I'm not sure who to report it to but I'm thinking cpsc.

salsah
04-18-2010, 09:53 PM
oh no! how scary. glad your LO didn't get hurt. take care of your arm, I hope it isn't too bad.

hillview
04-18-2010, 09:53 PM
WOW. Glad it wasn't worse. Report it here:
What kind was it? My mom uses one almost every night.
/hillary

MommyofAmaya
04-18-2010, 09:55 PM

I would report it to the CPSC (linked above).

Are you okay? That's scary!

I am OK. Thanks. The burn is only a couple inches...the fact that it initially was black was more troublesome. I was able to get most of the black off in the shower. It was terrifying for a those few moments when I thought it might cause a fire.

ETA: It was a Sunbeam.

Melaine
04-18-2010, 09:57 PM
WHOA! What kind?

hobie
04-18-2010, 09:57 PM
Scary!

I find a rice bag to be a nice heating pad. The easy way: fill up a big sock 1/2 way with rice, and tie off the end. Pop it in the microwave for a minute, then check the temp to see if you need more heating time. If you are more crafty, you can sew up an easy heating pad any size you like (I have a big rectangle one for my back, and a smaller one for DH's neck). Use a bottom weight fabric, but not fleece, since you will be microwaving it.

MommyofAmaya
04-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Scary!

I find a rice bag to be a nice heating pad. The easy way: fill up a big sock 1/2 way with rice, and tie off the end. Pop it in the microwave for a minute, then check the temp to see if you need more heating time. If you are more crafty, you can sew up an easy heating pad any size you like (I have a big rectangle one for my back, and a smaller one for DH's neck). Use a bottom weight fabric, but not fleece, since you will be microwaving it.

Good to know since I won't be owning another heating pad in this lifetime. Thanks!

Melaine
04-18-2010, 10:08 PM
I did the sock thing and I really like it. Almost feels better than the heating pad really because it molds to my neck which a heating pad won't do.

happymom
04-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Scary!

This is good to know. Thanks for sharing!

Indianamom2
04-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Do you know what model Sunbeam because I think that's the brand I bought recently?

Glad you're okay, but you might also think about taking pictures of your injury just as proof of this incident. You never know what you might need, and I guess I'm learning to document just in case, kwim?

bubbaray
04-18-2010, 10:18 PM
WOW, scary!

ITA, take photos. document document document. Contact the CPSC AND the manufacturer....

MommyofAmaya
04-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Photos taken of the cord and my arm. I'll take some more after I am able get all of the black residue off.

I need some more info before filing the report. I got it from my mom, so not sure where/when it was purchased. As soon as I get that info, I will file with the CPSC and contact Sunbeam.

Thanks.

ETA: The tag (sewn flat onto the pad) reads: sunbeam 112237-E

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-18-2010, 10:32 PM
WOW, scary!

ITA, take photos. document document document. Contact the CPSC AND the manufacturer....

:yeahthat:

I'm so sorry! What a scary thing while nursing!!!!!

What about one of these for Mother's Day? (http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_query=rice&search_type=handmade)

AshleyAnn
04-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Don't throw it away. Sometimes they want it to look at it and see if they can figure out why it did it.

bigpassport
04-18-2010, 11:24 PM
Holy Cow! Glad you're ok. Just wanted to say thank you for the wake up call. I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to turn off the heating pad before going to bed and its cooking away on the sofa all night. I know its a fire hazard, but hopefully to hear your IRL example will make me learn.

MommyofAmaya
05-11-2010, 03:58 PM
I just got a Sunbeam breadmaker as consolation for my experience. It gets decent reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-5891-2-Pound-Programmable-Breadmaker/dp/B00067REBU

Initially they offered me another heating pad and I said no way. They also sent a prepaid label to send the heating pad in for review. I certainly wish the heating pad hadn't exploded, but I'm looking forward to some warm fresh bread.

Drag0nflygirl
05-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Now that's some seriously cool CS!

essnce629
05-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Wow, scary! I think I have a sunbeam heating pad-- I'll have to look and see what model mine is.

I use my flaxseed packs for cramps and backaches mostly. It's just like a rice sock but I like it better since it doesn't have that rice smell and it holds the heat longer due to the oil in the seeds. I use them with my doula clients too. You make it the same way as a rice sock-- fill large sock with flaxseeds and tie off the end. I always go buy cute patterned knee high socks at Target to make mine.