PDA

View Full Version : Will I Regret Not having a small point and shoot digital camera?

alien_host
04-19-2010, 12:21 AM
The only camera we have right now it a DSLR and we love it for picture quality and quick shooting. I'm worried about carrying it every where etc. Will I regret not having a small point and shoot?

I do LOVE how the pics from my Canon Rebel come out but it is heavy/bulky. I have a small camera bag and will likely leave extra lenses and the big flash at home.

Any thoughts/advice?

infomama
04-19-2010, 01:06 AM
I also love my DLSR but for Disney I would get a P/S. We had a Canon powershot Elpf SD1200IS at the time and it was a great camera for that trip.

TwinFoxes
04-19-2010, 07:08 AM
I used to take my DSLR to Disneyland all of the time. If you use that type of camera a lot, it probably won't seem bulky to you. A point and shoot is nice though, because I didn't worry so much about it getting ripped off/damaged.

mama2zoe
04-19-2010, 11:22 AM
We're planning on taking our DSLR (Canon XSI), but we feel good about it b/c we're going with a 5 1/2 yr old and 2 yr old. We figure the person taking the 2 yr old on rides can hold it:) We will take the camera and one lens attached in our bag (good size bag to hold the camera with lens attached and nothing else) at a time. Hopefully that will be good! I'll post after our July trip to say how it went:) Have fun!

alien_host
04-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm just going to bring the DSLR, I feel like I don't have time/energy/extra cash for another camera at this stage. I am glad to hear people have used theirs with success. Thanks!

JTsMom
04-21-2010, 04:02 PM
We took our Rebel on this last trip. I rec a very comfy strap and carrying bag. We ended up with a backpack for ours. DH carried it a lot of the time, and when we were walking with the stroller, we'd hang it on there. It wasn't that bad, honestly.

kimbe
04-24-2010, 10:57 AM
I think that if you are used to the DSLR and it is the only camera that you have, don't worry about a point and shoot. And like you said, it isn't worth the time/energy/cash. You are used to the quick shooting of the DSLR and you will probably just get frustrated when you are trying to take pictures (especially character pictures) with a point and shoot. We take our DSLR and a small bag, but DH usually just wears it around without the bag. There is no way that I would ever go to Disney without our DSLR now. You won't be dissappointed! Have fun. I don't know if you have one already or not, but get one of those nice comfy neoprene straps!

erosenst
05-01-2010, 08:50 PM
We were just there, and I only took the DSLR. (Nikon D80). I took an 18-270 lens, so a little bigger than average. I wore it over my shoulder, and it almost never bothered me. (A couple of times when the park was getting crowded it was a little irritating, but it was the crowds, not the camera!)

As others have said, you'll miss having the quick shooting time with a P&S - and if you *really* don't want to take it somewhere one of you likely has a camera phone that will do.

Lastly, although you may not be comfortable with this - we sometimes 'hid' the camera in the stroller when we went on rides - under backpacks with non-valuables. The odds of it getting taken are tiny. We'd put it there well before we parked the stroller, so it wouldn't be as obvious - but I never really worried about it.

alien_host
05-18-2010, 07:47 PM
I took my Canon Rebel and am glad I did. I shot almost 1200 photos in 5 days. I wore it around my neck/shoulder most of the time while walking around and put it in the bag during rides like Splash Mtn/Big Thunder Mtn/Test Track etc and while we ate lunch. I stored the empty camera back in the back of my Maclaren Triumph but wasn't really comfortable leaving it there unattended (I'd worry about it when on the ride).

So I agree with PPs, if you are used to a DSLR then it's really not that much of a hassle to have in the parks.

♥ms.pacman♥
05-18-2010, 08:14 PM
If you use that type of camera a lot, it probably won't seem bulky to you. A point and shoot is nice though, because I didn't worry so much about it getting ripped off/damaged.

:yeahthat:

this is/was my main concern with a DSLR. esp if u are going to a park that will have lots of water splashing around etc i would be worried about it getting damaged.

i have a canon elph sd1000 and it works pretty well.

MomToOne
05-18-2010, 09:10 PM
I have both and I like to take the point and shoot for trips and stuff because - my reasoning is - those pictures don't have to be great, you know? I can do portrait shots at home, but on a trip if it's between taking a bulky camera that I might leave in the room when running out to the beach / a restaurant / etc, and taking a smaller one that I know I can slip in my pocket just in case, I'd rather take the little camera and have an inferior picture of the afternoon then none at all.

But I also really like to travel light. And I don't have a ton of comfort using the DSLR, so those aspects factor into it for me.