PDA

View Full Version : Summer wardrobe for 13 mo. DD

choopi
04-19-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm starting to buy clothes for my DD who is 13 months. She's walking pretty well, but still falls down a lot when she's outside. I'm so confused by all of the summer styles out there and how much to buy! Here are my main questions:

Do I buy t-shirts or tunics? Is it worth it to try to find some SS onesies in her size?

Should I buy capris, shorts, leggings, skirts, bicycle shorts, pants, or capri leggings?
What about one piece rompers? Do those look too babyish on a toddler or are they cute?

If we go to the pool a few times a week and have a plastic pool in the yard, should I buy one swim suit or two? What about a rash guard?

To save time in the morning, I want to be able to mix and match separates, instead of getting separate outfits. Also, she is just starting to wear 18 months clothes, but they are huge. Is it possible that 18months will last her through the summer. Thanks!!!

SammyeGail
04-19-2010, 08:12 PM
I don't have a DD, but I love the look of rompers and used them as long as I could! Super cute and very functional for toddlers IMO.

My twins were around 18 months old their 2nd summer, I liked rompers, shorts and tees/some button up shirts. It gets hot and humid here and I did have 2 pairs of thin pants for the park (it has pebbles).

I would get a UPF protection rash guard for extra coverage in addition to sunscreen. Thats just my opinion. You might want to get 2 swim suits if you want to wash them in between uses or how much you get in the water. We only had a little pool in the yard and had one set for each DS, wish we had 2.

I would consider some capri leggings for knee protection while playing outside. I don't know about long tunics, my niece (she's 26 now) hated longer tops on her DD because they interfered with her climbing and playing, they would get caught under her knees, something to consider.

I would think the 18M would last, fingers crossed (our summers go into early Oct here), but if it doesn't you can always find some 24m on sale later in the summer. Places like Gymbo/Gap will be clearing out older things to add new lines in.

Good luck!

SnuggleBuggles
04-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Rompers are fantastic, imo. 13m is still a baby! Rompers are practical and easy- use them while you can. :)

You'll find a huge difference with some brands and sizes so just keep experimenting to find good fit. My ds2 was swimming in 18m Gap stuff till he was 2yo, for example. But, other things he outgrew quickly.

I don't do undershirts/ onesies in the summer b/c I know I wouldn't want that extra layer.

Beth

WatchingThemGrow
04-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Yup, one-piece rompers were great for that age - soooo cute! I found a few on ebay that were adorable. A couple Hannas, a LE floral one that I will forever love, and maybe a couple others. If she's long in the torso, you may want to try them out before removing the tags. Little Me, Hartstrings, Zutano and some others run super short, so they didn't work for us at all.

KrisM
04-19-2010, 08:28 PM
I agree with the rompers. Loved them. We also had some t-shirts and shorts, a couple sundresses that were all in ones, and a couple regular dresses. The dresses didn't get worn very much.

jvs195
04-20-2010, 08:18 AM
DD was walking and 10 months last summer. ROMPERS! I had everything (too much in fact) and always went for the same 3 rompers. Should have had more. LOVED the ones from Tea Collection (size up). I am so sad they don't make them in her size anymore. Comfy, cool and easy. This year she is running around more and scraping her knees so I added some capri leggings to tunic tops/sundresses. FOr cooler days and daycare (sometimes a bit cold with the AC) I used tank onesies under dresses.

daniele_ut
04-20-2010, 01:46 PM
At that age, we definitely used rompers more than anything else. This year we have a lot of mix and match tops with bermuda shorts and capris as well as a bunch of dresses with leggings or bike shorts.