PDA

View Full Version : Going to Hilton Head, SC, any suggestions?

SammyeGail
04-19-2010, 04:27 PM
DH has a class there, we are staying 5/15-5/22. We were there about 6 years ago for another class but I honestly don't remember anything except all the bike trails. I had gotten a summer cold and didn't do much, just stayed in the room.

We are planning to pay extra to stay in a house, not on the beach, lol, just a regular house, the rental place gave me the off season rate, that was nice. Its close to the hotel DH's class is in.

Anyway, if anyone has been there and can suggest some things to do after DH gets out of class it would be really appreciated! I don't plan to take the boys to the beach by myself or anything much because when Jonas gets excited he wants to run and I don't want anything to happen to him. He has super strength and will get away from me :(. Jonas has mild autism. Reason we wanted the little house instead of a condo in a complex, it has a pool, I'm very concerned about using a complex pool and keeping up with both boys. Jonas is also very smart/clever ;).

Thanks anyone, or any tips on vacationing with a child with autism would also be deeply appreciated. We've never one like this.

TonFirst
04-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Hi Samantha, we vacation there for a couple of weeks every summer with my in-laws. My nephew is 6 and has autism - he has a ball at the beach. Things he loves are flying kites on the beach, playing in the pool, digging on the beach and playing in tide pools - really, just the regular stuff, but with a sensory twist, as I'm sure you're used to! He really, really loves the kite - we buy one every summer at the kite shop at Coligny Plaza. There's an indoor playplace called the Sandbox that I've never been to, but my SIL likes. If they like riding in a bike trailer, bike rentals are everywhere and the trailers are a lot of fun, and a good way to kill a lazy afternoon.

Also, there are stables in Sea Pines - my nephew always loves riding the horses there and they seem to be very autism-friendly. We've also done dolphin tours that all the kids loved. Have fun!

SammyeGail
04-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Thanks! I remember seeing something about horseback riding, I will try to find those stables/contact them and see if that is something the boys and I can do. Noah will be a bit scared and want to be with me but Jonas in a sensory seeker, likes everyone he meets so maybe they will have someone who can help!

I've thought about getting him a basic harness (no teddy bear or monkey on the back, he gets hot easy), but at 45" he looks more like a 6 yr old than a 4 yr old. I just hate dealing with the stares, maybe I should wear a real goofy hat to offset his harness ;).

newg
04-19-2010, 08:00 PM
we will actually be there the same week!
We usually do the beach, tennis, and riding our bikes. Could you rent a bike and trailer to take the boys around in?
They have tons of putt-putt (mini golf) places too. Sea Pines has the salty dog cafe, which is a cool place to eat, get ice cream and watch the boats....
During most parts of the day the beaches have great wadding pools where the water is like bath-water!!