PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this?

salsah
04-20-2010, 12:04 AM
DH just told me about something that happened at a public elementary school (he heard from a friend whose kids go to that school). This is what i know:

The Chinese students formed a Chinese Club, only Chinese students may join.
The Indian students formed an Indian Club, only Indian students may join.
So in response, the white students formed a White Club, only white students may join.
The Chinese and Indian students protested, accused the White Club of discrimination and won their case.

any thoughts?

MMMommy
04-20-2010, 12:17 AM
I'm surprised that the school administration would allow the clubs to ban any race from any club, period.

Was the school's ruling against the White Club maybe based on the fact that "White" isn't an ethnicity?

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-20-2010, 12:20 AM
Same thing happened to me, kinda.
I grew up in the SFBA.There was a Filipino Club, Black Student Union, Latino Club, Chinese, etc.

I wanted to start an Irish Club. THE SCHOOL wouldn't let me... And all the kids of other races (white was a minority) tried to get the school to change their mind, they wouldn't. So the FC, BSU, etc. all offered me membership. They all though it was so wrong.... And to this day I still agree. It wasn't even a "white" club, it was specifically Irish. Which would have opened the door for a Italian Club, etc....

♥ms.pacman♥
04-20-2010, 12:23 AM
i'm surprise too, especially at an ELEMENTARY school. i don't think it's all that common to have clubs that require members to be of a certain ethnicity, no matter what background. even in college, there were groups like Chinese Students club etc but students of all ethnicities were allowed to join. i was a member of women in engineering clubs, which sounds like it is for women only, but men were allowed to join those (the only requirement is that they had to support women in engineering). i remember seeing a few men at the meetings even.

anyway though, it sounds like there could be a lot more to this story though... a lot of times stories like this (heard from a friend of a friend etc) the actual story gets twisted around etc and people get angry over nothing.

salsah
04-20-2010, 12:31 AM
i'm surprise too, especially at an ELEMENTARY school. i don't think it's all that common to have clubs that require members to be of a certain ethnicity, no matter what background. even in college, there were groups like Chinese Students club etc but students of all ethnicities were allowed to join. i was a member of women in engineering clubs, which sounds like it is for women only, but men were allowed to join those (the only requirement is that they had to support women in engineering). i remember seeing a few men at the meetings even.

anyway though, it sounds like there could be a lot more to this story though... a lot of times stories like this (heard from a friend of a friend etc) the actual story gets twisted around etc and people get angry over nothing.

that is why i thought i would post to ask about it.

TwinFoxes
04-20-2010, 12:40 AM
i'm surprise too, especially at an ELEMENTARY school. i don't think it's all that common to have clubs that require members to be of a certain ethnicity, no matter what background. even in college, there were groups like Chinese Students club etc but students of all ethnicities were allowed to join.

:yeahthat: especially to the bolded.

JTsMom
04-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Sounds like an email forward or something. I would be surprised if a public school allowed clubs to discriminate based on race or ethnicity, especially if it came down to a lawsuit or big public battle of some type. I'll bet there is more to the story.

salsah
04-20-2010, 05:17 PM
glad to hear that others think it is a little off too. i was worried that maybe things have changed since i was in school and these are the types of things i'll have to deal with now when dd1 starts kindergarten next year.