PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Joovy Caboose for WDW? 2nd higher weight limit single?

mama2zoe
04-20-2010, 08:32 AM
We're headed to Disney for a week in July with 2 yr old DD and almost 6 yr old DD (58 lbs.) We don't have a double stroller, but I'm thinking older DD might need to "ride" at some point. Would anyone recommend a Joovy Caboose (Ultralight?) for 2 yr old to be in most of the time and older one to rest in after lots of walking? I was hoping to have something like this, though the weight limits on the back are 45 lbs and I've heard there's no way for them to actually lay back...Still wondering if I should get one?

It was also suggested that I instead get another single stroller (most Macs have 55 lb weight limits, close enough, and one even has 65 lbs...) Maybe the Mac Volo? I can carry around the Mac Volo or our Chicco umbrella (both are fairly light and can be carried in the bag with carry handle?) until older DD needs to rest? Maybe we'll only have one stroller (Volo) in the morning, then bring both of them after our early afternoon break?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! TIA for any advice:)

mama2zoe
04-20-2010, 08:36 AM
I'm also afraid if I get the Joovy that my older one will be more tempted to just "hop on", but if I have the other stroller packed up and in the bag, she will keep walking longer:)

sarahsthreads
04-20-2010, 11:27 PM
We did similar ages (1.5 and 5.5) in February and brought two singles - a Mac Triumph we already owned for DD1 (who is only 40 pounds, but it does go to 65), and an Inglesina Swift which we bought specifically for the trip for DD2. The Swift has a 40 pound weight limit, but it has a much better recline so it worked out well to use it for DD2.

We have a used Joovy Caboose (not Ultralight) that I find nearly impossible to push with both girls in, and DD2 is maybe 30 pounds, DD1 is only 40. I can't imagine trying to use it at Disney, and with heavier kids in it...though DH lobbied hard to bring that instead, because we already owned it!

The logistics of the two strollers were pretty easy. We mostly parked them in one place, did a bunch of rides/shows/autographs in that area, and then retrieved them. DD1 rode a lot in Animal Kingdom and Epcot, less so in Magic Kingdom - though we did have the stroller with us both days we were there and it did get used a bit - and we didn't even bring the second stroller to Hollywood Studios.

Sarah :)

mama2zoe
04-21-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm going to start a new thread, but I think we've decided against the Joovy...now deciding which new single to get... Which Maclaren?

clc053103
04-21-2010, 10:10 AM
I think I would put DD1 in a volo- it's the lightest,and has a shoulder strap for carrying when the child is not in it. I bought one for Disney last year and it was truly the perfect disney stroller.

dozer
04-21-2010, 12:09 PM
I've never done it, but pretty sure you can also rent a stroller at Disney and most theme parks. So u could leave the stroller home and just rent one/two at each park. Maybe they even make doubles? No idea.
M

clc053103
04-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Yes, they do have rentals in the park as well- single and double- and they are very expensive to rent ($15 per day single, $31 per day double- small discount if you do length of stay rental). I honestly prefer to rent a double and let DS and his two older cousins jump in and out as needed, but for others, it's simply too costly. I do also bring a volo for evenings outside the parks (like dining at resorts, boardwalk, downtown disney).

mama2zoe
04-22-2010, 01:56 AM
Since we're going to be in the park for 7 days and we're driving, I can't see wasting money on renting, when I could have just paid for a new stroller:) We will definitely have one for younger DD, but I'm planning on getting another single umbrella stoller with a 55lb+ weight capacity. Any reviews on the Mac Volo, Triumph, Quest or Techno? "Test drove" the Volo, Triumph and Quest today at BRU and it seemed to do great, though I'm not sure once we're on cobblestones, bumps and hills. The Volo wheels are a little smaller, so I wonder if Triumph or others would be better...

mama2zoe
04-22-2010, 04:50 PM
I'm considering Mac Triumph or Volo...What would you do? There are some 2008 Mac Triumphs on ebay (in pink, which is fine/great for me) for $120 and I can get a Volo from BRU for about $100 with a 20% off coupon. What would you do? I'm getting this so my 58lb almost 6 yr old has somewhere to rest while at Disney for a week, but will most likely keep it (and sell something else) for my DD#2. Is the 2008 worth it for 120 or should I just get newer? Did I hear there were some new features such as bigger canopy at some point? Thanks for any info!

sarahsthreads
04-22-2010, 11:03 PM
I love my Triumph, but it's a 2004...maybe? I don't know really anything about the differences between the model years, but if it were me I'd go with the slightly bigger wheels and ability to recline on the Triumph over the Volo, especially with only a $20-ish price difference. (Plus, I know my big girl would have loved a pink stroller given the option!)

Sarah :)

mama2zoe
04-22-2010, 11:46 PM
The $120 Triumph I could get is a 2008. It looks like from the Maclaren site that the new models have a bigger canopy. Is it worth the extra $50 to get the bigger canopy? Anyone know the difference in size?

mama2zoe
04-23-2010, 08:15 AM
Looks like I might be able to get an '09 or '10 for $140... So, only $20 for the newer/newest one? What to do! Is that about as low as I could pay for a Triumph?

clc053103
04-23-2010, 08:30 AM
I am not sure on the triumphs, but def put a post regarding changes in model years and price over on the stroller board and someone will definitely know the answer!

The only thing I can think of in the Volo v triumph is, how much will you be carrying the stroller- bc volo is lighter weight and has a carry strap. The triumph has more features (like recline) but if you use this for your DD1 you probably would not need this feature.

kbud
04-23-2010, 06:34 PM
We live in the area and have passes to dw. I have a caboose ultralight that we only use for the parks. My youngest is 2.5 (35pounds) and the oldest is 6 (50 pounds). I love it for there. The oldest usually walks but I make her ride in the parking lots and she sits in it for a quick snack between rides. I can steer it just fine w/both girls in it, even one handed although that's a bit tricky. We don't do the buses much. I can see where 2 singles would be easier if you are using the buses.