PDA

View Full Version : Doc was clueless - what could this be?

khalloc
04-21-2010, 09:52 AM
I have a lump in my tongue. It started on Monday. And it hasnt gone away. Its about the same size. It may have grown slightly. It started very suddenly. Its about the size of a pea, near the tip of my tongue but slightly back...

Now to give some background I have been sick off an one for over a month now. With various colds/sore throat, etc...Last week I was getting soreness on the roof of my mouth. They would come and go. Now those are gone but this damn lump in my tongue popped up! Its not something that you can see by looking at the top or bottom of the tongue. You have to feel it. Its hard and round.

Doc was useless. Said it would probably go away on its own, she's never seen it before, thinks my sore throat that is coming and going is allergies, etc...I thought maybe she would give antibiotics, but no. I already had an appointment at an ENT doc for nasal polyps, but thats not until May 19th! She said to show him if its still there then. WTF?

Are there glands in your tongue? Could it be a clogged gland? Its really annoying to say the least. I thought maybe Coxsackie? Because of the mouth sores. And I did have 1 blister on my toes last week, but that was it. No fever or anything. and no sores on hands. My 2 kids are also sick with similar colds/cough. But we havent had fevers at all. I did have more tears than usual in my eyes and thought I was getting conjunctivitus, but that never really came to fruition, think its just part of the cold/stuffy/runny nose.

Its this stupid tongue lump that is the worst part. I have no idea what it is and what to do to make it go away.

JBaxter
04-21-2010, 10:18 AM
I would go to an oral surgeon. GP's are notorious for know knowing oral lesions.

JTsMom
04-21-2010, 10:27 AM
I don't know what it is, but I'd try swishing with some warm salt water several times a day to see if that helps. That's one of those things they rec for all sorts of mouth sore issues.

khalloc
04-21-2010, 10:31 AM
I will try the salt water trick. The thing is this tongue lump doesn thave an opening. Its really odd.

And I will def see an oral surgeon if it doesnt disappear in a week or 2. Thanks!

jerigirl
04-21-2010, 10:35 AM
I recommend an ENT or an Oral Surgeon. Hopefully it goes away!

MommyofAmaya
04-21-2010, 11:35 AM
I recommend an ENT or an Oral Surgeon. Hopefully it goes away!

My husband had an issue in his mouth and the dentist recommended an ENT.
Hope this goes away soon!

Tondi G
04-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Call the ENT's office and ask if they could call you with any cancellations sooner than your scheduled appointment. I occasionally get weird bumps on my tongue towards the tip or on the side... it's really annoying. Usually after eating a bunch of sugar ... goes away within a few days. You could try getting a Lysine supplement. It is supposed to be helpful with canker sores etc.