PDA

View Full Version : Real Simple BBB --> What's the most embarrassing thing you gave DC to eat for dinner?

Fairy
04-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Here's the next one. I changed this up a little from the original question, but I think this is more relevant.

What is the most embarrassing or "outside the box" thing you have given DC to eat for dinner for wahtever reason?

I don't think that I've got anything completely wacky, but I do have some things that were due to either having no time, I was too sick to do much, or I had zero food in the house.

* Waffle & an apple
* Just fruit
* Starbucks snacks that he filled up on and then wouldn't eat dinner. So, that means a scone and milk.
* Grazing on chips, chips, carrots, chips, and shrimp during one of our parties.

HIU8
04-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Gefilte fish
starbucks tuna panini
perogies

JoyNChrist
04-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Burger King chicken fries three nights in a row. :bag

DH was out of town and I was so sick with the pregnancy I couldn't even stand the sight of food, and that's the only fast food DS will eat (gross, I know). I felt bad, but you do what you gotta do.

gordo
04-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Gefilte fish
starbucks tuna panini
perogies

DD has had gefilte fish many times for dinner! It is one of the few things she will eat!

cono0507
04-21-2010, 11:28 AM
squeezable yogurt and granola bars. if it is good enough for a breakfast on the run, surely it is ok for dinner in a bind? (or at least that's what i like to tell myself...)

daisymommy
04-21-2010, 11:34 AM
If that's all you've got for embarrassing, you're going to have to work hard to catch up with me :wink2:.

I think my most embarrassing would be one Summer night when we had ice cream for dinner :)

I'd say if it counts as breakfast (waffle and milk or fruit, granola bars and yogurt) then why is it really that bad for dinner? Not every night, sure, but on those nights when you have really just had it.up.to.here, it's not going to hurt anyone. It's fiber and protein, right?

boolady
04-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Is something wrong with me that I don't think that most of these are even embarassing? I mean, while they may not be 7 night-a-week meals, DD has had yogurt and a granola bar with a piece of fruit for dinner on many a night when DH is working, she and I have just gotten home from work/daycare, and she's starving. I think there's a lot, lot worse, or so I hope. Maybe I've been deluding myself.

stillplayswithbarbies
04-21-2010, 11:54 AM
one time when my oldest was little, I asked him what he wanted for dinner. He said "kepitch" (ketchup). I said okay, with french fries or with chicken nuggets? He said "no just kepitch". it was one of those days and I was not up for a battle or discussion with him at that point, so I got out a small bowl, a spoon, and gave him a bowl of ketchup for supper. He ate it all. He didn't want any of whatever we were having, and he didn't seem hungry, so that was it.

And now the dinner of ketchup in a bowl is part of our family legend.

If we are looking for least healthy meal, that was probably the Pizza Hut pizza and Cinnabon that we had at the airport at 6:00AM on our way home from Taiwan. With the time zone (and date line) changes, we had no idea what day it was or what time it was. I don't understand why those places were open at 6:00AM at LAX, but it was a really tasty breakfast. :)

GlindaGoodWitch
04-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Ok I didn't actually GIVE it to him, but I caught our super skinny little no eating son grazing on the cat's kibble. Does that count?

mommylamb
04-21-2010, 12:06 PM
DS usually eats his big meal at lunch at daycare (gotta love peer pressure). Dinners might be some of my chicken/steak/etc. Or they might be string cheese and fruit. He also likes to eat chives right from our chive plant. Go figure. I feel no guilt.

g-mama
04-21-2010, 12:21 PM
We've gone to the movies around 4pm and I buy the boys popcorn and an Icee. No way will they be hungry for dinner when we get home so I don't even bother offering anything. :bag

elizabethkott
04-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Ok I didn't actually GIVE it to him, but I caught our super skinny little no eating son grazing on the cat's kibble. Does that count?

:ROTFLMAO:

That's hilarious!!!!!
I recently allowed J to have a WHOLE bunch of leftover Easter candy for dinner. I don't care. I wanted it GONE and he's too aware of how much candy he had gotten for me to just throw it out one night while he was sleeping.
I did make him eat an apple first, however. Does that make me less of a horrible mother? :D

mommylamb
04-21-2010, 12:28 PM

That's hilarious!!!!!
I recently allowed J to have a WHOLE bunch of leftover Easter candy for dinner. I don't care. I wanted it GONE and he's too aware of how much candy he had gotten for me to just throw it out one night while he was sleeping.
I did make him eat an apple first, however. Does that make me less of a horrible mother? :D

Nah, I think it makes you an awesome mother. It's not like it's an every day occurrence. Kids should get some fun sometimes.:D

elektra
04-21-2010, 12:31 PM

That's hilarious!!!!!

I think this is a good idea actually. I swear. Maybe if I let DD gorge on candy for dinner one night she will be so sick of it and lose interest.

I am having candy issues and I need a new approach. Am I crazy for thinking this makes total sense?

elektra
04-21-2010, 12:39 PM
I am trying to think of something embarrassing that I have GIVEN her. Nothing too horrible, IMO! I mean we do the unhealthy Micky D's and cookies sometimes but I always try to offer at least some fruit with my unhealthy options.

There have been times when DD has opted to eat crumbs off the floor or even her own boogers over what I have offered her on her plate. Seriously? Your boogers taste better than the food I have prepared for you, DD????
This has happened enough for me to even coin a term for this delectable delight- "moco-chino". ;)

(I love the ketchup one. :))

salsah
04-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Is something wrong with me that I don't think that most of these are even embarassing? I mean, while they may not be 7 night-a-week meals, DD has had yogurt and a granola bar with a piece of fruit for dinner on many a night when DH is working, she and I have just gotten home from work/daycare, and she's starving. I think there's a lot, lot worse, or so I hope. Maybe I've been deluding myself.

that's how i feel. especially when it's not on a daily basis. as long as it is food, doesn't matter to me if it is dinner food, or a complete meal, or even things that just don't go together. i try not to look at each meal alone, but rather how well (or not) my kids ate over the course of a week.

now for embarrassing, i once let my girls eat Quick chocolate powder (no, i didn't buy it for them, grandma did) . . . with a spoon . . . w/o milk . . . off of the kitchen floor. dd2 (who was 1 yr old at the time) dropped the open container and the chocolate powder spilled all over the floor. i went to get a towel to clean up the mess and when i came back, i found her sitting on the floor next to the spill eating the powder with a spoon. When I didn't do anything to stop her, DD1 asked if she could do it too. I said, "go get a spoon." :bag

boolady
04-21-2010, 12:42 PM
There have been times when DD has opted to eat crumbs off the floor or even her own boogers over what I have offered her on her plate. Seriously? Your boogers taste better than the food I have prepared for you, DD????

This just made me LOL. Seriously. I'm going to have to tell DH this one tonight.

nfowife
04-21-2010, 12:44 PM
re: Candy
My friend ( a physician) decided to do an experiment with her kids. Here is the note she sent out:

What if many of the things you know about feeding your children are wrong? Most parents try to get their children to eat a healthy diet through external controls. I am as guilty of this as anyone else. I became concerned about my own child feeding practices when I attended a party with my family recently. My oldest child who is 6 years-old had what they referred to as "dietary disinhibition." I witnessed her eating at least 6 brownies and a few chocolate chip cookies over the course of several hours. I did not stop her from eating them in part because I wanted to observe her behavior.

After witnessing this, I began wondering if my dessert policy at home is in her best interest in the long run. I grew up in a very food restrictive household. My mother, wanting me to be healthy, virtually never fed me dessert or "junk food." I would gorge on these foods when I went to my friends' homes.(OK, you don't have to remind me.....I know some of you witnessed this). As a teenager, I gorged myself on sweets because I had money/ability to buy my own food. This resulted in a 30 pound weight gain in a single year and a lifetime of struggle with my own weight. (OK, again you don't have to remind me about what I looked like at 15, thanks).

Because I did not want to be overly controlling in my own household, I make sure to feed my kids dessert once a day. Sometimes, we have dessert at a party/restaurant, but most of the time we have it at home. I give each child 2 pieces of those little Dove dark chocolate squares after dinner.

After learning about childhood eating patterns this week in my summer nutrition class, I decided to do an experiment without approval from the Institutional Review Board or signed consent. I have bags of chocolate on the kitchen counter. I told my children that they could eat as much chocolate as they want whenever they want. There are 3 rules: they must eat it in the kitchen, they many not eat it in front of a screen, and they must throw out the wrapper. Each child has her own bag of chocolate. I count how many pieces I put in the bag and how many disappear.

My hypothesis is that the oldest child will eat a huge quantity of chocolate over the next few days and then it will taper off to a moderate level. The youngest child, who is 4, will probably not be that interested in eating large amounts. I really want the children to eat based on their own internal feedback and not any external pressure/rules that I give them. We will see how it works. I will post each day's intake.

If child protection shows up at my door, I'll know it was one of you!

and the results:

Results from first three days:
Day 1: Rachel 14 chocolates/Gabby 9 chocolates
Day 2: Rachel 9/ Gabby zero
Day 3: Rachel 3/Gabby 3
... See More
Girls seemed very interested in chocolate on day 1, but this has obviously decreased.

salsah
04-21-2010, 12:45 PM
one time when my oldest was little, I asked him what he wanted for dinner. He said "kepitch" (ketchup). I said okay, with french fries or with chicken nuggets? He said "no just kepitch". it was one of those days and I was not up for a battle or discussion with him at that point, so I got out a small bowl, a spoon, and gave him a bowl of ketchup for supper. He ate it all. He didn't want any of whatever we were having, and he didn't seem hungry, so that was it.

dd2 has done that too. i count it as a serving of fruit.

BabyMine
04-21-2010, 12:50 PM
now for embarrassing, i once let my girls eat Quick chocolate powder (no, i didn't buy it for them, grandma did) . . . with a spoon . . . w/o milk . . . off of the kitchen floor. dd2 (who was 1 yr old at the time) dropped the open container and the chocolate powder spilled all over the floor. i went to get a towel to clean up the mess and when i came back, i found her sitting on the floor next to the spill eating the powder with a spoon. When I didn't do anything to stop her, DD1 asked if she could do it too. I said, "go get a spoon." :bag

:hysterical: Did you get a picture?

salsah
04-21-2010, 12:51 PM
i love threads like this. i think sometimes we are too hard on ourselves. since we rarely see others less than perfect moments and IRL friends are often too embarrassed to admit that they are not always perfect, we can't help but think that we are the only one who has not fed our kids dinner, or given them too much junk food, or has a messy home, or made a mistake, etc. It is nice to know that I'm not the only one, I am actually normal.

catsnkid
04-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Dh was not happy I let DS (10 mos) have pizza for dinner..

Fairy
04-21-2010, 01:00 PM

I have decided that you win.

Until I read this one and then decided that there should be a tie.

Melaine
04-21-2010, 01:05 PM

:hysterical: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P9A0UczaME

sunshine873
04-21-2010, 01:05 PM

For some crazy reason, this really touched me. In the grand scheme of things, eating quick powder with a spoon didn't hurt them at all. But as parents, we have programmed ourselves to want them to eat a balanced meal. There are times to break away from that and instead of fighting a battle, you chose to create a memory. I love that and hope that I'll be able to be that level-headed when those moments arise. :)

Fairy
04-21-2010, 01:06 PM

CLASSIC classic classic!

JTsMom
04-21-2010, 01:07 PM
i love threads like this. i think sometimes we are too hard on ourselves. since we rarely see others less than perfect moments and IRL friends are often too embarrassed to admit that they are not always perfect, we can't help but think that we are the only one who has not fed our kids dinner, or given them too much junk food, or has a messy home, or made a mistake, etc. It is nice to know that I'm not the only one, I am actually normal.
:yeahthat: I love you guys!

daniele_ut
04-21-2010, 01:16 PM
We've gone to the movies around 4pm and I buy the boys popcorn and an Icee. No way will they be hungry for dinner when we get home so I don't even bother offering anything. :bag

I've done this as well, minus the Icee.

salsah
04-21-2010, 01:23 PM
:hysterical: Did you get a picture?

video actually. but in retrospect, a picture would have been better.

salsah
04-21-2010, 01:25 PM

:eek: how dare you? i have never heard anything so horrible!

ETA: just want to make sure you know that i'm joking. pizza is a staple around here.

salsah
04-21-2010, 01:28 PM
For some crazy reason, this really touched me. In the grand scheme of things, eating quick powder with a spoon didn't hurt them at all. But as parents, we have programmed ourselves to want them to eat a balanced meal. There are times to break away from that and instead of fighting a battle, you chose to create a memory. I love that and hope that I'll be able to be that level-headed when those moments arise. :)

i wasn't being level headed, i was being lazy. not my usual reaction to messes (i usually freak out and get angry), but I had just cleaned the floor that day and i really didn't want to clean it again. I figured that the girls were helping me clean it that way.

g-mama
04-21-2010, 01:29 PM

Pizza? Pizza??? We call that "tomato pie" around here and it makes it sound much healthier! That's a staple in our house.

kijip
04-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Plain rice. He was not going near anything else on the table last night (veggie and pineapple stir-fry, salad with ginger dressing).

salsah
04-21-2010, 01:56 PM

yes! that is what i thought of too when I saw them doing it.
dh called dd2 "joey" for awhile because of this and because she used to eat weird food combos (like dipping fruit in ketchup, putting ketchup on her pancakes that already had syrup on them, etc.) when DH saw her eating things like that, he would say "what's not to like? fruit, good. ketchup, good."

alexsmommy
04-21-2010, 01:59 PM
None of these make me cringe. The earlier posts, well, um, a lot of those things happen around here, especially when DS3 was first home. DS2 is often hungry before I can get dinner on the table (which is at five or five-thirty, not late) and I can honestly say, I don't get worked up if he has a "snack" of yogurt and a granola bar (and not even a "good" brand one at that) and he skips eating the formal dinner. I'm definitely not wed to dinner food as our only option. I was laughing because the kids had scrambled eggs for dinner last night and DS1 said, "Oh a breakfast/lunch thing for dinner." We've had so many scrambled eggs for lunch he identifies them as typical lunch fare. Hey, they are quick, easy, almost always on hand, and a form of protein I don't have to talk down their throats.
As far as the Easter candy or the Quik mix - these are once a year type things that in retrospect, they'll remember as really cool or fun.
My attitude is to try to do my best more often than not so that the nights the kids have popcorn for dinner, or go to a party and gorge on chips, salsa, candy etc I don't have to worry and police them.
So far it seems to be working.
My main rule is - fruit cancels out anything. "Hey mom, can I have a bowl of Dad's Golden Grahams for dinner?" "Sure hon, just make sure you have some fruit too, ok?"

elliput
04-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Plain rice. He was not going near anything else on the table last night (veggie and pineapple stir-fry, salad with ginger dressing).

This happens quite a bit with DD.

kristenk
04-21-2010, 02:15 PM
I was laughing because the kids had scrambled eggs for dinner last night and DS1 said, "Oh a breakfast/lunch thing for dinner." We've had so many scrambled eggs for lunch he identifies them as typical lunch fare.

DD was horrified one weekend morning when I suggested that I make scrambled eggs for breakfast. Evidently scrambled eggs are strictly dinner-fare!

sunshine873
04-21-2010, 02:24 PM
i wasn't being level headed, i was being lazy. not my usual reaction to messes (i usually freak out and get angry), but I had just cleaned the floor that day and i really didn't want to clean it again. I figured that the girls were helping me clean it that way.

lazy & level-headed both start with "L" so in this case I think they're essentially the same thing. :)

ewpmsw
04-21-2010, 02:39 PM
DD has decided she wants to be picky these last two months, and her food demands are ketchup, peetsie (pizza), cheese and crackers. Most times, it's what we've prepared for her or nothing (we present the stuff she's always eaten). There have been times when she's had peetsie two meals in a row, or when she's only eaten ketchup and left the ground beef or whatever else was on her plate. Other times, she's on a mac 'n cheese diet. DH handles her breakfast most mornings and she's lucky if he gives her a piece of raisin bread to go along with her yogurt. Oh, well. Her snacks and drinks are healthy. She's healthy. An occasional junky meal isn't so bad.

crl
04-21-2010, 03:33 PM
Well, I'm pretty flexible about what consitutes dinner, although it does have to include at least a smidge of protein. We do waffles and bacon or other breakfast combos with fresh fruit fairly often, but I'm fine with that.

I guess I'd be most embarrassed by McDonalds? But I'm not really, 'cause it was a very occasional thing (now that DS is allergic to milk, McDonalds is out anyway).

Catherine

bubbaray
04-21-2010, 03:38 PM

I :heartbeat: me some Glinda humor.... :thumbsup:

Sweetum
04-21-2010, 04:07 PM
that's how i feel. especially when it's not on a daily basis. as long as it is food, doesn't matter to me if it is dinner food, or a complete meal, or even things that just don't go together. i try not to look at each meal alone, but rather how well (or not) my kids ate over the course of a week.

And I was so impressed that your 1 yo was eating with a spoon, all by herself!

Fairy
04-21-2010, 05:49 PM
DD was horrified one weekend morning when I suggested that I make scrambled eggs for breakfast. Evidently scrambled eggs are strictly dinner-fare!

We do this alot.

smiles33
04-21-2010, 06:42 PM
None of these make me cringe. . . . My attitude is to try to do my best more often than not so that the nights the kids have popcorn for dinner, or go to a party and gorge on chips, salsa, candy etc I don't have to worry and police them.
So far it seems to be working.
My main rule is - fruit cancels out anything. "Hey mom, can I have a bowl of Dad's Golden Grahams for dinner?" "Sure hon, just make sure you have some fruit too, ok?"

:yeahthat: Sometimes DD1 will eat plain udon (basically wheat flour noodles) but if she has some peas or a banana, too, then I'm happy.

lalasmama
04-21-2010, 06:53 PM
I have aunt who raised her children very strict. In regards to meals, it was 3 courses generally, on good china, and everything had to be eaten.... She came to live next door to me when I was still really new with this parenting thing. I think La and I were having a meal without meat--completely normal for us, because (1) I didn't get home until 6:45pm most evenings and her bed time was 8pm, so meal prep was limited, (2) meat is EXPENSIVE, and, (3) like a lot of kids, unless its from some Golden Arches or is a processed animal-like product (ie, hotdogs, mystery nuggets), she's not crazy about meat. She freaked out. Completely thought I was damaging her nutrition forever....

So, imagine how crappy I felt when La and I walked into an ice-cream social at church, and La announces to above-referenced aunt, "Mama didn't give me any dinner tonight. Tonight I get ICE CREAM for dinner!" (It was true--we went straight from daycare to this social, so she was getting dessert first! And real food was 2 hours later.).... I still haven't heard the end of it!

tylersmama
04-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Um, nothing? :bag Seriously, I've been known on more than one occasion just to not fix dinner if DS insists he's not hungry. I know he's not going to eat it, so what's the point in putting effort into actually fixing something? :bag

Disclaimer: This usually happens when he's had a huge and/or late lunch, and I really do ask repeatedly, I swear.

catroddick
04-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Hmmm, I'm not feeling so bad about the cottage cheese and banana dinner that DD had last night.

Hey- she turned her nose up at the good stuff, and I wasnt cooking twice for just she and I.

I am embarrased by how often I see her eating crumbs off the floor that the dogs missed though.... Which reminds me- it time to mop again. :wink2:

Melanie
04-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Not for dinner, but for lunch would be Jamba Juice and pretzel.

Dinner would probably be something like Burger King or Carl's Jr. chicken pieces on a road trip.

TwinFoxes
04-21-2010, 08:03 PM

I don't even have to click...is it Joey pulling out a spoon to eat cheesecake off the hall floor?

I came to the board to complain that one DD won't stop eating dog food. It ain't a one time deal. :bag I'm pretty close to just putting it in a bowl for her (not really).

ETA: I had to click. It's still hilarious years later!

salsah
04-21-2010, 09:58 PM
well, i'm impressed with all of you who provide such nutritious, balanced, healthy meals on a regular enough basis to think that some of the things you posted are embarrassing. so many of those embarrassing things are the norm here (aside from the cat and dog food ;) ). which got me thinking, i actually worry about having unexpected guests over for dinner, not even formal guests, just the neighborhood kids, because i rarely have a real meal prepared. usually just odds and ends. on the rare occasion that i actually cook something, it is just one thing, not an entire meal. i'll fill with in with whatever else we have on hand, left overs, salad, fruit, cheese, anything that doesn't require prep (or is easy, like rice or pasta). and this goes for dh and i too -- we don't eat meals, just random stuff.
so if dd has a friend over, or i'm watching the neighbor's kids, i secretly pray that they will go home before dinner time because i wouldn't know what to feed them. i would be embarrassed to feed them bits and pieces of random things. honestly, we never even have much on hand, dd1 has even remarked about how empty our fridge is compared to friends' fridges. that, to me, is embarrassing.

salsah
04-21-2010, 10:03 PM
I am embarrased by how often I see her eating crumbs off the floor that the dogs missed though.... Which reminds me- it time to mop again. :wink2:

dd2 did that too. when she was at the crawling stage, she loved feeding herself but of course most of the food ended up on the floor. i swear that she used to eat more off the floor after dinner then she did while sitting in her seat at dinner.

AshleyAnn
04-21-2010, 10:23 PM
DD is still on bottles so I guess my most embarassing is formula but I no longer let anyone make me feel bad about that.

I did see my stepMIL feeding her youngest child a stick of butter for dinner before DH and I married. She was about 2 - 2.5 and still in a high chair. She made it sound like it was a regular occurance. She gave it to her cold out of the fridge and DSIL would lick it like a popsicle. :eww:

nmosur
04-21-2010, 11:23 PM

I consider that a healthy (maybe not balanced) dinner. DD has had that for lunch/dinner so many times. And I am glad that she is eating something.

nmosur
04-21-2010, 11:28 PM
DD is still on bottles so I guess my most embarassing is formula but I no longer let anyone make me feel bad about that.

I did see my stepMIL feeding her youngest child a stick of butter for dinner before DH and I married. She was about 2 - 2.5 and still in a high chair. She made it sound like it was a regular occurance. She gave it to her cold out of the fridge and DSIL would lick it like a popsicle. :eww:

I have a friends who has a degree in nutrition who did this. I saw her doing it only once though. Apparently her daughter was on a food strike and butter was the only thing she was willing to eat.

salsah
04-22-2010, 12:22 AM
I have a friends who has a degree in nutrition who did this. I saw her doing it only once though. Apparently her daughter was on a food strike and butter was the only thing she was willing to eat.

butter isn't so bad for toddlers. their brains need the fat. i once read an article about a study at JHU where a toddler was fed a strictly monitored high fat diet (including cubes of butter) to help reduce the number of seizures that she was suffering from. according to the article, the diet helped and she didn't gain any weight from it.

LexyLou
04-22-2010, 12:46 AM
This thread is hysterical.

I don't know, I'm of the everything in moderation club.

My kids eat pretty healthy (lots of fruits and veggies and lean meats) but they do love their crap and candy and well honestly, so do I, so I understand.

My kids have big appetites but one night DD1 had waffles then an hour later she had rice krispies, then apples, then an ice cream sandwich. Besides the apples, that was probably the least nutritious and empty calorie meal she's had.

I actually would prefer McDonald's chicken nuggets with apples to the above meal. At least there would be some protein.

mommy111
04-22-2010, 01:39 AM

:rotflmao:That made me want to grab a spoon and get down there and have a party myself. I think this speaks volumes on how good a housekeeper you are, though, only someone who KNEW their floors were clean would allow that.

dcmom2b3
04-22-2010, 04:42 AM
Raisins.

Mother of the year, here I come!! Not.

Melaine
04-22-2010, 07:34 AM
I don't even have to click...is it Joey pulling out a spoon to eat cheesecake off the hall floor?

I came to the board to complain that one DD won't stop eating dog food. It ain't a one time deal. :bag I'm pretty close to just putting it in a bowl for her (not really).

ETA: I had to click. It's still hilarious years later!

Wow! Impressive....did you know automatically because I link to friends clips too often?

mamicka
04-22-2010, 09:20 AM
re: Candy
My friend ( a physician) decided to do an experiment with her kids. Here is the note she sent out:

and the results:

Thanks for sharing that. I'm going to try this with my own kids.

well, i'm impressed with all of you who provide such nutritious, balanced, healthy meals on a regular enough basis to think that some of the things you posted are embarrassing. so many of those embarrassing things are the norm here (aside from the cat and dog food ;) ).

Same here. I try to keep actual mealtimes to whole foods but I don't worry too much about balancing each meal or anything. So many of those combos don't seem embarassing to me at all. Fun thread, though! :thumbsup:

I've not done a whole stick of butter (eww) but we include just butter on a spoon (or just small pieces on the highchair tray) when our kids are starting foods. They've liked it & it isn't unhealthy for them - learned it from my dad who's a pedi.

MamaSnoo
04-22-2010, 09:40 AM
If that's all you've got for embarrassing, you're going to have to work hard to catch up with me :wink2:.

I think my most embarrassing would be one Summer night when we had ice cream for dinner :)

I'd say if it counts as breakfast (waffle and milk or fruit, granola bars and yogurt) then why is it really that bad for dinner? Not every night, sure, but on those nights when you have really just had it.up.to.here, it's not going to hurt anyone. It's fiber and protein, right?

Ha ha ha......after DD refused most other food (navy bean soup, meatballs, raspberries) last night, DH gave her ice cream for dinner!! So dinner was 3 goldfish, 2 green peas, and a big bowl of ice cream. I guess, technically, I didn't give it to her, but I was there.....

Fairy
04-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Raisins.

Mother of the year, here I come!! Not.

Hey, it's fruity. Keeps her regular.

shawnandangel
04-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Last night DD had pizza, peaches, and peas for dinner. The 3 p's!

Am I embarressed? Not at all! I can't really say I'm embarressed about anything I feed DD, although sometimes she has Wendy's fries for lunch when I'm running late for school and I know that's not the best for her, but oh well!

Fairy
04-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Last night DD had pizza, peaches, and peas for dinner. The 3 p's!

Am I embarressed? Not at all! I can't really say I'm embarressed about anything I feed DD, although sometimes she has Wendy's fries for lunch when I'm running late for school and I know that's not the best for her, but oh well!

What? That's a great dinner!

WatchingThemGrow
04-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Ellyn Satter actually recommends letting them fill up on sweets every so often. From her website... Periodically offer unlimited sweets at snack time. For instance, put on a plate of cookies or snack cakes and a glass of milk, and let her eat as many cookies as she wants.