PDA

View Full Version : Another car opinion thread...this time COLOR!

scrooks
04-21-2010, 12:42 PM
I realize color is almost the least important thing to consider when buying a car BUT since we are leaning towards buying a new minivan I may be able to have some choice in color....

I love the navy color that the Ody comes in but will I regret such a dark color? These are the reasons why I like it...it looks super sharp (in my opinion) and it's distinct...most of the minivans out there are silver or some variation of silver. I'm not knocking silver (I've had a silver car in the past and they really DON'T show dirt which is awesome!) but it would be nice to actually FIND my car easily in a parking lot.

So everyone out there with darker colored cars...let me know what you think....

boolady
04-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Yesterday at lunchtime my coworker and I were out for a walk and commented on how sharp a navy Odyssey was that passed us. I like it.

SnuggleBuggles
04-21-2010, 12:44 PM
I have a black car and my next car will be black or navy blue (I love navy blue for a car!!). I have no problems with it. I am not an anal car person though so little scratches that are probably more visible on a dark color don't bother me one tiny but. I'd rather see a few little scratches than drive a car that I don't like the color of.

Beth

codex57
04-21-2010, 12:52 PM
I like dark colors. I'm just too practical to actually get a car in one. They show dirt and dings real easily, and they get real hot if temps get warm in your area. That's why I like white cars. It's the only color where you can put your hand on the paint after it's been sitting in the sun all day and not burn your hand. Even silver gets too hot, but the darker colors are worse. Depending on how sensitive you are to heat, it may or may not be a big deal.

bubbaray
04-21-2010, 12:53 PM
I have a navy Ody. I like it when its clean, which is pretty rare.

My fave car color is silver, b/c you can't tell when its dirty. LOL

elektra
04-21-2010, 12:55 PM
rare.

My fave car color is silver, b/c you can't tell when its dirty. LOL

My car is silver. ;)

I also can't go dark because I am really lazy about washing my car.

DebbieJ
04-21-2010, 01:05 PM
I have the midnight blue Ody and love it! I have had black, silver, and red cars in the past. Black was my least favorite color.

SnuggleBuggles
04-21-2010, 01:10 PM
I grew up having only white cars and I really don't think there was much (or any) difference with how hot the interior of the car felt after sitting out on a hot day. Hot is hot. :)

Beth

clc053103
04-21-2010, 01:17 PM
I don't know what kind of minivan, but if you have a silver odessey where we live, you will never find it in the sea of silver odessey's at the elementary school.

My favorite cars have all been blue. My current one is "black cherry". Looks awesome in on a cloudy day. Ona sunny day it may look a bit too purple!

MoJo
04-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Our black Civic seems hotter than any other car I've ever used on a regular basis.

It's funny: two of my best friends both have navy Odys, and I don't know anyone who has a silver one.

wendibird22
04-21-2010, 01:28 PM
I have the midnight blue Ody. I really like it. But, I see it everywhere here. I will say that I don't think it shows dirt too bad and that's after a long winter with road salt.

I love silver and red cars. But my last car was silver so I wanted a change and I skipped red on the Ody because I didn't want to feel like I was driving a fire truck :D

Snow mom
04-21-2010, 03:05 PM
I like white cars and I think they are really practical. Personally I think white looks really sharp on a lot of cars, especially if you have tinted windows. It doesn't show small scratches nearly as easily as darker colors. It doesn't heat up as quickly (although whoever said after a full day sitting in the sun there isn't a big difference is right.) The first car I bought wasn't white, but the one we got in Dec is white and if I have my way all future cars will be white.

trales
04-21-2010, 03:06 PM
We have all black cars. I like them.

MamaKath
04-21-2010, 03:07 PM
If you were in my area and looking for an Ody in a nontypical color I would say either navy or the cherry color. Out of the 2, I'd get navy, it is really pretty!!!

WatchingThemGrow
04-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Yesterday at lunchtime my coworker and I were out for a walk and commented on how sharp a navy Odyssey was that passed us. I like it.
That was me.:waving4: Mine was clean yesterday and it looked great! Love being able to spot it in a parking lot. It's my 2nd navy new car. Other one was white w/tinted windows, which was okay. I would have liked red also, but the red last year was pretty funky IMO. I think the white ones look like rental vans (I'm from FL, and most of them are) and the silver or silver green or gray ones are just far, far too common.

The only thing that could be better with it was either light gray or beige leather.

crl
04-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Having lived in places with very hot summers, I avoid dark colors like black or navy. Also, I don't really wash my car, well, ever. And I think the really dark colors show the dust/pollen/mud worse. I also avoid white, but that's more just personal preference. I really like greys and silvers. I also like dark reds. Some blues are nice on some cars (like minis are adorable in the bright blue or aqua colors).

JMO,
Catherine

SpaceGal
04-21-2010, 03:31 PM
If you were in my area and looking for an Ody in a nontypical color I would say either navy or the cherry color. Out of the 2, I'd get navy, it is really pretty!!!

I have the Cherry color Odyssey and I do my best to keep it clean the darker colors definitely do have more maintenance involved but it's sharp clean...I would say the same for the navy too. I would have gotten Navy but my previous car was navy and I wanted something different.

I see TONS of silver cars every where and in general I don't like that color because it's so common. The White Odysseys are nice too...I think I might have gotten that one instead of the cherry if I had more time to think on it.

Navy is nice.

MMMommy
04-21-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm a fan of silver and charcoal gray for cars. What about a charcoal gray, which is dark? Does it come in that? Navy is nice too. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a dark car.

JoyNChrist
04-21-2010, 03:38 PM
We had a navy Yukon and I hated it, but bear in mind that my mom and MIL both live down dirt roads, so we were traveling through major mud/dust pretty frequently.

My car now is a champagne color, which I love.

codex57
04-21-2010, 03:43 PM
We had a navy Yukon and I hated it, but bear in mind that my mom and MIL both live down dirt roads, so we were traveling through major mud/dust pretty frequently.

My car now is a champagne color, which I love.

Hahaha, my dad had a champagne Accord. That color was AWESOME! You could leave it outside for months and it still wouldn't look that dirty. Champagne basically is the color of dirt so other than not being shiny, you really can't see if there's dirt on there or not.

Anyways, Honda makes a nice navy. As long as you're ok with the downsides, it sure is a purty color. It is one of those colors I dream about my car being, cept I'm just too chicken to actually buy a car in it. Maybe if I win the lotto and can have someone come out and wash my car for me at my house.

JoyNChrist
04-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Hahaha, my dad had a champagne Accord. That color was AWESOME! You could leave it outside for months and it still wouldn't look that dirty.

Which is pretty much exactly what I do. :ROTFLMAO:

I dream about a shiny black sports car, but that'll have to happen in my next life, when I don't live in the country and don't have three kids to haul around. ;)

HIU8
04-21-2010, 04:15 PM
My ody is silver with olive green undertones. I usually go for neutral to light color cars. I have never owned a dark color car (nothing against them. I just usually gravitate to lighter colors). My neighbors have the cranberry/burgandy ody and I think it's beautiful.