PDA

View Full Version : Best gear for new infant...

megan973
04-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Forgive the naivety in the question, but this is our first child. We have a lot of toys and things that I know the baby will use eventually, but are there any "must haves" for a newborn?

We have a bouncer and a swing. Also, we were given a walker and an excersaucer (not sure if that's the right word... it's a Baby Einstein contraption with a seat, but it doesn't move).

Should we consider an activity center (i.e. I know there are several brands, but I'm referring to a floor "mat" with arches where the toys hang down)?

I'm just trying to think of anything else that the baby might use as soon as we bring him home.

Thanks in advance!

MizMojoLaveau
04-21-2010, 01:12 PM
The bouncer and the swing are the best things for use right away. The floor mat, or "play gym," you will use also--but probably not for 1-3 months after birth. I think a boppy or similar pillow (even if not BF'ing) and large swaddling blankets are must-haves for a newborn. HTH!

catsnkid
04-21-2010, 01:18 PM
WE used our play mat right away. DS loved looking at it and eventually tried batting the toys. It was a great thing to put him down on while alert and also having tummy time. Have the baby einstein aquarium one. But swing and bouncy chair for sure right away.

MoJo
04-21-2010, 01:28 PM
I don't know at what point we purchased it, but the activity mat got tons of daily use for months. Baby also seemed to enjoy the mirror in the pack and play.

I assume you have the car seat, a place for baby to sleep, and a plan for baby bathing?

I was SO glad someone gave us Mylicon (gas drops) when DD couldn't handle the dairy in my breast milk her second night at home, so I'd definitely want that on hand right away.

I don't think there are many must-have toys right away.

Best wishes on your first LO!

boolady
04-21-2010, 01:29 PM
WE used our play mat right away. DS loved looking at it and eventually tried batting the toys. It was a great thing to put him down on while alert and also having tummy time. Have the baby einstein aquarium one. But swing and bouncy chair for sure right away.

We used our play mat for tummy time, too, since it gave DD something to look at. We would also put her on it and put this stand-up Sassy mirror there so she could look at herself. Since she wasn't a big tummy time fan, we tried all methods of distraction.

citymama
04-21-2010, 01:35 PM
We loved having a mobile over the changing table. By the time her vision got past the newborn hazy stage, she was so fascinated with it. We like the gymini as well. DD hated the bouncer so we never used it. We didn't have any toys or bumpers in the crib and I don't think she even looked at them for a long while. We started reading her little black and white books at just 4 days old and kept going from there! Definitely good to have books.

And slings/carriers - I'd consider that the best entertainment for a new baby, getting to see the world snuggled up at mom or dad's chest!

maestramommy
04-21-2010, 01:53 PM
We had a bouncer and a gymni mat before DD1 was born, and we used the mat right away. The bouncer we didn't use until she was about a month old. I think she was just too small, and not very comfy. DD2 did like the bouncer after about a week or so, she was much bigger at birth. We also had a swing by that time, and she liked that as well.

Just a word. Every baby is different so you just never know what you will use because you never know what the baby will like/not like. DD2 was just a mellow baby she would've liked anything. DD3 was very fussy, and didn't like anything longer than 5-10 minutes, not even the swing. She took an hour nap in it once. But since then has never been in it more than 10 minutes. Nowadays we use her bouncer/rocker so she can drink from her bottles.

megan973
04-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the info.

Yes, we have the crib, stoller/carseat, a bath (to use after sponge bathing), etc. I just wondered if there was anything obvious I was overlooking.