PDA

View Full Version : I'm going shopping tomorrow - car shopping!

KrisM
04-21-2010, 03:57 PM
I've had so many threads about wanting a minivan or something to separate the kids more and I'm finally starting to actually look! I'm so excited. My mom offered to watch DD and DS2 while DS1 is in school so I can go alone. She lives within 2 or 3 miles of about every dealer I could want.

So, I'm making my list of vehicles to see and questions to ask. I'm sure it'll still take us a while to make an actual decision, but we're starting!

I'm looking at minivans, which is what I want, but DH has convinced me to figure out if there is anything else. So, I'm also looking at Ford Taursus Xs with the idea I'd drive it for a couple years and DH would get it after and I'd get a minivan then. If we had kids out of FF carseats, the tether spots wouldn't matter as much and it might be easier to pick a minivan without that concern.

SnuggleBuggles
04-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Have fun!!!!

Beth

codex57
04-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Yeah! Have fun!

crl
04-21-2010, 04:06 PM
I'd suggest you take a look at the Ford Flex. Have fun looking!

Catherine

arivecchi
04-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Good luck!

jess_g
04-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Good luck and let us know what you see. I would love to upgrade our sedan to a minivan, but I am not sure we want to spend the money right now.

Jessica

wellyes
04-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Lucky you!

For the SUV, maybe bring along as many carseats as you'll be using, just to see how they'll fit (if you get that far along that you're seriously considering it).

KrisM
04-21-2010, 11:08 PM
I'd suggest you take a look at the Ford Flex. Have fun looking!

Catherine

I will look at that too. My dad retired from Ford, so we get the discount, which is nice.

Lucky you!

For the SUV, maybe bring along as many carseats as you'll be using, just to see how they'll fit (if you get that far along that you're seriously considering it).

I will have the seats with me (except a future booster), but I think I'll leave them in my car. I'm not buying tomorrow, but just trying to narrow things down a bit. DH would have to come with me and drive things at some point and then we could do seats. Plus, I only have about 3 hours total before I have to head home to get to the bus stop and lugging 3 seats in and out would add a lot.

Good luck and let us know what you see. I would love to upgrade our sedan to a minivan, but I am not sure we want to spend the money right now.

Jessica

Yeah, I've waited nearly as long as I can. I hate spending money like that. But, we've only got about 6 months until DS is too tall for the Radian and a booster is not easy in the sedan.

jess_g
04-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Kris, we have 3 kids and drive a sadan. Everyday I
wish we had a more room so I know exactly how you feel. I wish I could go shopping with you as I think we are probably looking for the same features. The only thing I think is great about the sedan is that it's prety easy to park.

I hope you find exactly what you are looking for. I would also look at the honda pilot and the Mazda 5 so you have some ideas of other 3 row vehicles to compre with.

Jessica

carolinamama
04-22-2010, 08:45 AM
While I would look at other things besides a minivan, I am so sold on it after buying our Ody in Feb. I drove a 3-row Explorer before the van. I actually really liked the Explorer and used the 3rd row for carpooling. But I LOVE the convenience of the minivan and the sliding doors. I'm in love with the sliding doors. Did I mention that the sliding doors are really great? ;) Have fun shopping.

mom2binsd
04-22-2010, 08:45 AM
I drive the Ford equivalent of the of Ford Minivan (mine is an 04 Mercury Monterey)...I love it!!!!!!!!!! Leather captains seats, lots of room behind the third row even when it's in use, pedals that move so short little me isn't on top of the steering wheel.

We have had no major issues with it either and we like the way it looks too.

lmintzer
04-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Check out the Mazda CX-9 if you are looking for a 3 row SUV that's still built on a car frame. Two of my friends have them and love them. The 3rd row is super roomy, too. And adult can easily fit back there.

Good luck, and have fun!

TwinFoxes
04-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Check out the Mazda CX-9 if you are looking for a 3 row SUV that's still built on a car frame. Two of my friends have them and love them. The 3rd row is super roomy, too. And adult can easily fit back there.

Good luck, and have fun!

FYI OP, Mazdas are part of Ford's A-plan. I really like the CX-9, but the estimated gas mileage turned me off.

KrisM
04-24-2010, 07:15 PM

Good luck, and have fun!

I didn't make it to the Mazda, but will check that one out.

I didn't get too much done. It all took much longer than I thought. But, I don't like the plastic cup holder on the floor in the Toyota. I just picture DS climbing on it in soccer cleats every week...

Honda didn't have a Odyssey for me to drive, but I managed to do that yesterday. That was very nice, except for the 3rd row seat vibration. I need to check that out. They say it's really hard to get a 2010 Odyssey right now and one dealer had zero and the other had 2 in stock.

The Volkswagen guy told me no kids are supposed to sit outboard in the 3rd row until they're out of boosters :shrug: Not sure about that. Besides, if I'm going to get something based on the Chrysler minivan, I'll get the Chrysler with Stow N Go.

I drove a Kia Sedona on Friday, too. It's actually pretty nice, but doesn't have the nifty storage areas that look so cool.

I went to Chrysler, but didn't drive anything because the salesman wanted to know when my husband was available for a test drive!!! I could not believe it. If we buy a Chrysler product, it won't be from him!

I didn't get to Ford either, but hope to this week.

It is fun to be looking and I hope we can get somewhere.

czekit7
04-24-2010, 07:49 PM
I would love to suggest two vehicles: Honda Pilot (almost considered luxurious) and the Subaru Forester (top safety rating...5-star front and side impact, 4-star rollover...awesome safety). $35000 and $21000 respectively. The Subaru will be our purchase next year (have too many home improvements this year). Have fun!!!

jess_g
04-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Kris, Its great to read your update. I too am driving a sedan and dreaming of getting a minivan. We will probably wait to this summer when we know what driving we will be doing (and if we will be carpooling) for next school year before we decide what to get.

Have you checked out the Nissan Quest? I think they are still making them but I am not certain. I have a neighbor who will only buy cars from Nissan and I do see them around here some. Also I would take a look at the Mazda5 and the Mazda CX9. Its too bad they stoped making the Mazda MPV. I also would not discount the Toyota Sienna just because of the cupholders. Its a great mini van too.

Jessica.

KrisM
04-24-2010, 09:02 PM
I would love to suggest two vehicles: Honda Pilot (almost considered luxurious) and the Subaru Forester (top safety rating...5-star front and side impact, 4-star rollover...awesome safety). $35000 and $21000 respectively. The Subaru will be our purchase next year (have too many home improvements this year). Have fun!!!

The Subaru would be too small. We already have a car that seats 5 and it's really tough to get a booster in with 3 in the back. I need something with 3 rows. And, I am pretty sure I want something with 2 seats in the middle row so there is a pass through between them. I'll check out the Pilot though.

Kris, Its great to read your update. I too am driving a sedan and dreaming of getting a minivan. We will probably wait to this summer when we know what driving we will be doing (and if we will be carpooling) for next school year before we decide what to get.

Have you checked out the Nissan Quest? I think they are still making them but I am not certain. I have a neighbor who will only buy cars from Nissan and I do see them around here some. Also I would take a look at the Mazda5 and the Mazda CX9. Its too bad they stoped making the Mazda MPV. I also would not discount the Toyota Sienna just because of the cupholders. Its a great mini van too.

Jessica.

I stopped by Nissan and they discontinued the Quest. I looked at the Mazda 5, but I don't like how close the third row is to the back window. I think having it for occassional use would be okay, but not every day. Plus, there isn't much room behind that third row. I think for 2 kids it would be great.

Since it keeps getting mentioned, I'll add the CX9 to my list as well.

The Toyota was nice, but I just see that plastic being broken within months of owning it. Or someone tripping on it. I don't know - it just seems like a very odd design to me. I think I'd be happier with an Odyssey and not having to worry about it. Plus, the Toyota doesn't have tethers in all the spots in the back, so we're limited on kid configuration.

bubbaray
04-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Kris, we had a new-style Forester for a weekend last year (test driving). There is NO WAY to do 3 across in that vehicle. No way, no how. I tried to see how 2 RN's fit (1 FF, 1 RFg) and due to the humps on the seat, there was only about 6" of space between the seats. Whether you install via belts or LATCH makes no difference due to the depressions in the seat. Just take that puppy right off your list. Not even worth a browse if you need 3 across.

JMHO.

KrisM
04-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Kris, we had a new-style Forester for a weekend last year (test driving). There is NO WAY to do 3 across in that vehicle. No way, no how. I tried to see how 2 RN's fit (1 FF, 1 RFg) and due to the humps on the seat, there was only about 6" of space between the seats. Whether you install via belts or LATCH makes no difference due to the depressions in the seat. Just take that puppy right off your list. Not even worth a browse if you need 3 across.

JMHO.

Thanks. I am not getting something that requires 3 across. Too hard with boosters and I'm ready to be done.

I am looking at the Ford Flex tomorrow, since it has 3 rows of 2 and might work well for me for a couple years and then DH can have it long term. We don't fit in his car unless DS is in a RideSafer vest, so I'd like him to have something bigger.

sariana
04-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Since it keeps getting mentioned, I'll add the CX9 to my list as well.

:thumbsup: I was going to suggest it, too, but several people had beaten me to it.

dukie41181
04-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Kris,

We are shopping for the same vehicle! We are finalizing our purchase of a 2008 Ford Taurus X tomorrow! It has the 2 captains chairs in the second row and a pass through to a 3rd row. I drove the Flex and really liked it but with the features we wanted (AWD, leather, etc) it was out of our price range. We really like the spaceous feel of the Taurus X and found one that fits perfectly with what we budgeted. I would definately recommend looking at one but have found it challenging to find one locally with the 2 bucket seats (and I know we are somewhat in the same area). There is a Taurus X in Howell but it doesn't have the 2nd row buckets. I found it super easy to install a FF car seat (Britax Roundabout 50). Heck, if you're interested in a Flex there is an awesome Limited model at the Howell dealership too. White AWD, leather, vista roof, 5000 miles so practically new but its $339xx. So if that fits in your budget, its awesome! Let me know if you have specific questions about the Fords...I have just spent a TON of time in them and researching them!

Good luck!

KrisM
04-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Kris,

We are shopping for the same vehicle! We are finalizing our purchase of a 2008 Ford Taurus X tomorrow! It has the 2 captains chairs in the second row and a pass through to a 3rd row. I drove the Flex and really liked it but with the features we wanted (AWD, leather, etc) it was out of our price range. We really like the spaceous feel of the Taurus X and found one that fits perfectly with what we budgeted. I would definately recommend looking at one but have found it challenging to find one locally with the 2 bucket seats (and I know we are somewhat in the same area). There is a Taurus X in Howell but it doesn't have the 2nd row buckets. I found it super easy to install a FF car seat (Britax Roundabout 50). Heck, if you're interested in a Flex there is an awesome Limited model at the Howell dealership too. White AWD, leather, vista roof, 5000 miles so practically new but its $339xx. So if that fits in your budget, its awesome! Let me know if you have specific questions about the Fords...I have just spent a TON of time in them and researching them!

Good luck!

You're not buying in Novi, are you? I went to look at one they had listed the other day, but it was sold. It was bucket seats. Strangely, the salesman I talked with lives around the block from my parents :).

I can get a Flex cheaper with A/Z Plan pricing, I think. I don't need AWD and will likely skip that. I'm going to check one out - an SEL with leather 40/40 seats, center console, roof racks and I think the price is $28,xxx with Z plan and rebates.

If an X-plan on Ford helps with a new vehicle, let me know. My dad has them to give away.

dukie41181
04-25-2010, 05:01 PM
We bought in Canton, not Novi so the one you saw wasn't ours. That's great that you have the A/Z plan you can use. Unfortunately, with the options I want in a Flex it wouldn't get us too close to our goal cost but thank you for the offer. I really did like the Flex! It definately feels like a giant when you are driving but it was cool. Let me know how it goes for you and what you think!

KrisM
04-26-2010, 04:52 PM
We bought in Canton, not Novi so the one you saw wasn't ours. That's great that you have the A/Z plan you can use. Unfortunately, with the options I want in a Flex it wouldn't get us too close to our goal cost but thank you for the offer. I really did like the Flex! It definately feels like a giant when you are driving but it was cool. Let me know how it goes for you and what you think!

I drove it today for around 2 hours. I overall liked it a lot and getting DD buckled in a BV in the 3rd row was easy enough without someone in the 2nd row in front of her. I could lean in from outside. If I had to climb in to get to the third row, it wasn't fun, but it was doable.

However, the seat bottom was too big. The edge of the seat hit against my knee and about 20 minutes in, my leg was getting really tired. I adjusted the seat all over and couldn't quite get comfortable. The only way I made my leg comfortable was to slouch about an inch forward, but I couldn't drive that way 100% of the time - my back would kill me!

Anyhow, an SEL with leather and no DVD no Nav with the Z plan and $5000 rebate was still $28k plus tax. It's definitely not a cheap vehicle.

I'm leaning towards the Odyssey now, but might check out the Mazda still and maybe the Chevy Traverse.

dukie41181
04-26-2010, 06:01 PM
The price of the Flex is why we went with the Taurus X. The Fords do have adjustable foot petals...I wonder if that could have been helpful for the leg comfort?

american_mama
04-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Kris, you and I have already discussed vehicles. We test drove a Mazda CX-9 when they were brand new and they were nice, just a little bigger and flashier than I wanted. DH liked it, but I preferred the Taurus X (called the Freestyle when we bought ours).

Two and a half years ago, an acquaintance bought a Hyundai Entourage minivan just after her third was born. It's not a minivan I hear anything about, but she thought it had everything that the Honda and Toyota had at a much lower cost. DH bought a Hyundai sedan in January and loves it, and Hyundai is getting a lot of good buzz for great value cars.

Since a couple other car shoppers are reading this thread, if anyone is shopping for a used Taurus X, back when they were Freestyles, they changed the standard safety equipment. I do not know if it varied by Limited or SEL trim line. I think halfway through the 2007 year model year, they made side curtain airbags standard. Before that, it was only part of an option package, so research that carefully if you are looking at that model year or before.

Oh, also the Ford website has an option where you can search inventory at different dealers so you can find a car with the seating configuration you want. Since the Taurus X came in three seating configureation (which the salespeople were sometimes a little oblivious to), I worked that search feature like mad to find the right vehicle for us. It certainly took a lot of time and may have been misplaced effort, but it made me feel like I knew for sure what was or was not available in our search region.

dukie41181
04-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Since the Taurus X came in three seating configureation

What are the 3 configurations? I only know of two. One being the bench 2nd row with the 3rd row and the other being the captains seats/bucket seats 2nd row with the 3rd row. Please enlighten and educate me!

megv
04-26-2010, 10:36 PM
We just recently purchased the Oddy - you will not be disappointed.

Not sure if this is an option, but DH negotiated the price online w/ our local dealership. Then we did not need to haggle in person - much simpler process, and we still feel like we got a good deal. We mostly argued over the value of our trade-in.

They even found us the exact van that we wanted - they did not have color in the model we wanted, and they found us one at a different dealer - we had it within a day or so.

KrisM
04-26-2010, 10:54 PM
We just recently purchased the Oddy - you will not be disappointed.

Not sure if this is an option, but DH negotiated the price online w/ our local dealership. Then we did not need to haggle in person - much simpler process, and we still feel like we got a good deal. We mostly argued over the value of our trade-in.

They even found us the exact van that we wanted - they did not have color in the model we wanted, and they found us one at a different dealer - we had it within a day or so.

I've talked to 2 dealers here and none are trading Odysseys. So, if I want one, I have to find it and get it myself. The inventory is really, really low as well.

It might be because they are not popular vehicles here. There are easily 10 times as many Town & Country/Grand Caravans as Odysseys. I just don't think they sell many around here.

american_mama
04-27-2010, 04:38 AM
What are the 3 configurations? I only know of two. One being the bench 2nd row with the 3rd row and the other being the captains seats/bucket seats 2nd row with the 3rd row. Please enlighten and educate me!

When I was shopping for the Freestyle in 2007, the seating configurations were:
1) 2nd row bench
2) 2nd row captain's chairs with large organizer console in middle
3) 2nd row captain's chairs with pass through space in the middle

All three configurations were shipped from the factory and listed on the window sticker and, in my state, all three were readily available. Many people have a strong preference for one over the others.

In 2008, the vehicle was re-named the Taurus X and some small changes were made (engine power and shifting transmission changed, door handles and vehicle accents got more chrome, plus others I don't know about it). I don't know if the configurations changed too.

heatherlynn
04-27-2010, 07:28 AM
Maybe check out a Chevy Traverse. I have heard good things, but not sure you want an SUV.

I have a Chrysler T&C and I loooove the Stow & Go.

KrisM
04-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Kris, you and I have already discussed vehicles. We test drove a Mazda CX-9 when they were brand new and they were nice, just a little bigger and flashier than I wanted. DH liked it, but I preferred the Taurus X (called the Freestyle when we bought ours).

Two and a half years ago, an acquaintance bought a Hyundai Entourage minivan just after her third was born. It's not a minivan I hear anything about, but she thought it had everything that the Honda and Toyota had at a much lower cost. DH bought a Hyundai sedan in January and loves it, and Hyundai is getting a lot of good buzz for great value cars.

Since a couple other car shoppers are reading this thread, if anyone is shopping for a used Taurus X, back when they were Freestyles, they changed the standard safety equipment. I do not know if it varied by Limited or SEL trim line. I think halfway through the 2007 year model year, they made side curtain airbags standard. Before that, it was only part of an option package, so research that carefully if you are looking at that model year or before.

Oh, also the Ford website has an option where you can search inventory at different dealers so you can find a car with the seating configuration you want. Since the Taurus X came in three seating configureation (which the salespeople were sometimes a little oblivious to), I worked that search feature like mad to find the right vehicle for us. It certainly took a lot of time and may have been misplaced effort, but it made me feel like I knew for sure what was or was not available in our search region.

I looked at the Mazda CX-9 today and they have zero tethers in the 3rd row. So, only DS1 in a booster could sit there and he'd have to climb over the 2nd row to get in. I don't want that.

The Chevy Traverse only has a tether in the middle of the 3rd, making it a bit better, but still not easy enough to get to the third row for me.

I drove a Dodge Grand Caravan and it had a horrible rattle in it. Nice, huh? Stow N Go is great, but I'm just not that impressed.

I also drove a Ford Taurus X Limited. It was loaded and really pricey :), but I loved it. It was my favorite of everything so far and I'm really thinking we'll get one. It was easy enough to get to the 3rd row and I liked how it drove.

KrisM
05-03-2010, 07:47 AM
I thought I'd update, in case anyone is wondering...

We decided on an Odyssey.

It was down to the Taurus X or Odyssey. I really prefer driving the Taurus X because it's like driving a car and feels that way and the Odyssey feels like I'm driving something much, much bigger. The Taurus X Would have worked well for us, I am sure. But, when I started looking for cars with the features I want, it was getting pretty pricey. There are only 2 years worth of used cars (Freestyle didn't have the same features/options), so my choices were small.

DH and I talked about it more and decided we might end up regretting not getting a minivan. While I really think the Taurus X would have worked, the Ody offers a lot more flexibility and ease for hauling kids around, and that's what it's about, not just my driving enjoyment :).

I do think we'll end up with a Taurus X in a couple years, as it would be a great car for DH. Now, he'll get my Malibu Maxx, because all of us do fit in it and he could take any kid he wanted somewhere without having to install a carseat first (what a pain that is!). But, my Maxx is 6 years old with 120k miles on it, so it won't last forever. DH doesn't drive much, so I could easily see finding a low mileage Taurus X for him in a few years and have it much easier to take the kids around, even as they get to be teenagers.

I'm excited. We're getting the EX-L and decided to do aftermarket DVD and Nav if we want. DH had a reasonable point about the DVD system - we're already getting a lot of things in Blu Ray and what about in 5 or 6 years, will we even be buying DVDs anymore? And, I don't want to deal with the arguements about what to watch :).

We were figuring we'd wait until the end of May, since it seems like "they" say the end of the month is better for buying a car. But, DH's car has something elecrical wrong - he has lost his ABS and yesterday had no tachometer or spedometer while going to the playground, but they were back for the drive home! Not good. So, he'll be driving one in the next day or so and then I'll work on getting us a great price!

SnuggleBuggles
05-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Great choice! Everyone I know IRL with one is really happy with it. My friend had been driving a Passat before that and she said it took no time at all to get used to driving a minivan in terms of size. Have fun shopping and I hope you get a good deal!

Beth

jess_g
05-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Oh Kris, thats great news that you decided on a car. And I have heard that its best to get it at the end of the month when salesmen need to meet their quota. I hope you get a great deal!

Can I just ask how you picked the trim level and features? I have not shopped for an odyssey before, and I realy need a leason or two on how to understand the current trim levels. When we had our Sienna it was the LE which is the medium level but they only had 3 levels to pick from so not much choice (this was 10 years ago! and I still miss it).

Jessica.

WatchingThemGrow
05-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Yay! Thanks for updating the thread, since I asked :). Are you totally set on not getting the installed DVD? I'm no techxpert, but I'm thinking regular DVDs will still be available for the amount of time you have the car.

With the factory installed system, you can control it from the dash, it works with the ceiling installed remote in the back, and it has wireless headphones that come with the system. The convenience of that, not having to turn around while you're driving to start it, etc. is HUGE. I don't have any experience with aftermarket ones, but the fact that this one is covered in the warranty (however long that is) and is already integrated with the car's systems has been very helpful to me already. When I'm far from home with all three by myself, tired, and they're hungry, tired, screaming, hot, etc, touching the buttons on the dash to fire it up and shut them up is SOOOOO nice. DVDs seem to always need an extra push of the start button, skip through a section or whatever, so I would look closely at the aftermarket ones to see how user-friendly they are going to be.

What color are you hoping for?

KrystalS
05-03-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm excited. We're getting the EX-L and decided to do aftermarket DVD and Nav if we want. DH had a reasonable point about the DVD system - we're already getting a lot of things in Blu Ray and what about in 5 or 6 years, will we even be buying DVDs anymore? And, I don't want to deal with the arguements about what to watch :).

If you don't get the factory installed DVD system I would not recommend getting an aftermarket one installed in the car. You will have much better luck with portable DVD players. I got a really nice aftermarket DVD player installed in my car and it has been nothing but problems. It was expensive. It was always sensitive, then stopped working about 2 years after I got it. I sent it in to be repaired, cost me another $150. And now it is doing the same thing again. I will never waste my money on an aftermarket system again. Not the mention the inconvenience of all the controls being in the back seat. It came with a remote but I still have to reach back to put in and take out the DVDs.

KrisM
05-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Yay! Thanks for updating the thread, since I asked :). Are you totally set on not getting the installed DVD? I'm no techxpert, but I'm thinking regular DVDs will still be available for the amount of time you have the car.

With the factory installed system, you can control it from the dash, it works with the ceiling installed remote in the back, and it has wireless headphones that come with the system. The convenience of that, not having to turn around while you're driving to start it, etc. is HUGE. I don't have any experience with aftermarket ones, but the fact that this one is covered in the warranty (however long that is) and is already integrated with the car's systems has been very helpful to me already. When I'm far from home with all three by myself, tired, and they're hungry, tired, screaming, hot, etc, touching the buttons on the dash to fire it up and shut them up is SOOOOO nice. DVDs seem to always need an extra push of the start button, skip through a section or whatever, so I would look closely at the aftermarket ones to see how user-friendly they are going to be.

What color are you hoping for?

Yes, we're set on not getting it. I just forsee too many arguements. Already DS1 and DD want different things to watch on TV. I think it'll be easier to either get the headrest replacement versions, or trully portable versions. I know I'll miss being able to control from the front, but it'll be okay. And, we've never used a DVD so far and they've survived :).

We still talking colors. I can't get red (DD wants it) or the slate green (DS1 wants it). I don't really like black or white and there are too many silver and dark blue minivans already. So, we're thinking either Ocean Mist or Polished Metal. No one nearby has them in stock in those colors though :(.

KrisM
05-03-2010, 02:34 PM
If you don't get the factory installed DVD system I would not recommend getting an aftermarket one installed in the car. You will have much better luck with portable DVD players. I got a really nice aftermarket DVD player installed in my car and it has been nothing but problems. It was expensive. It was always sensitive, then stopped working about 2 years after I got it. I sent it in to be repaired, cost me another $150. And now it is doing the same thing again. I will never waste my money on an aftermarket system again. Not the mention the inconvenience of all the controls being in the back seat. It came with a remote but I still have to reach back to put in and take out the DVDs.

Did you have the headrest kind or have it installed in the ceiling? We were thinking of the ones in the headrest, but I don't know much about them at this point. Otherwise, we'll go aftermarket portables.

KrisM
05-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Oh Kris, thats great news that you decided on a car. And I have heard that its best to get it at the end of the month when salesmen need to meet their quota. I hope you get a great deal!

Can I just ask how you picked the trim level and features? I have not shopped for an odyssey before, and I realy need a leason or two on how to understand the current trim levels. When we had our Sienna it was the LE which is the medium level but they only had 3 levels to pick from so not much choice (this was 10 years ago! and I still miss it).

Jessica.

There aren't a lot of choices, really, in trim levels or options. I knew I wanted leather, which put me at EX-L or Touring. Within EX-L, there is the base (what we're getting), or with RES (dvd) or with RES and Nav. That's it. Then Touring is what it is. Below EX-L is EX and you can do base, with RES, and with RES and Nav. There is a level below that as well. There aren't any packages to add various options, it just goes to another trim level.

It was totally different than when I looked at the Grand Caravan - I started at the level for leather, and then there was a package for remote start, but that required sunshades and the Premium group, which included things like a power folding 3rd row seat, dimming mirrors, etc and other things I didn't really need. The Odyssey didn't have all the options, like remote start, but it made it very easy to figure out what you were getting.

KrystalS
05-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Did you have the headrest kind or have it installed in the ceiling? We were thinking of the ones in the headrest, but I don't know much about them at this point. Otherwise, we'll go aftermarket portables.

I have the one installed in the ceiling. I haven't heard anything about the headrest versions so those may work better. I will let you know the brand of mine is Myron and Davis. I know it is the main brand they use if you go to a car audio/stereo type place. I would definitely not recommend it! Aside from all the problems I've had their customer service is horrible.

scrooks
05-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Good luck! I hope they can find you a color you want!