PDA

View Full Version : Can this wait for the ped tomorrow or should I go tonight?

Mermanaid
04-21-2010, 09:42 PM
I was changing DS pull up/diaper tonight and noticed that his right testicle was so dark that I could see it through the skin and it is slightly swollen. It was not that way this morning. He is skiddish when I touch it (but of course, this is not so unusual) but otherwise doesn't seem to be in any pain.

I think it can wait for the ped in the AM, but I am a little concerned (because you know I googled!). Can anyone give me some guidance on this?

Thanks all.

carolinamama
04-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Call your ped's on-call number. You should atleast be able to talk to a triage nurse, possibly a ped to figure out what needs to be done. I wouldn't mess around with it, personally.

JBaxter
04-21-2010, 09:45 PM
I would call your ped tonight and run it by them. Your right I have googled issues like that and its scary.

Dr C
04-21-2010, 09:51 PM
The worry is that he could have a testicular torsion. Uncommon in little boys, more common in boys going through puberty or very young babies. Usually hurts more than what you're describing. BUT if it is a testicular torsion, MINUTES count in terms of saving the testicle. Ideally there is a 6 hour window from the moment it twists (and blood flow to the testicle stops) in which to get to the operating room and save the testicle. If he were my son I would bring him to the ED right now. Testicles are like eyes. They're very important, an he's only got two.

MamaMolly
04-21-2010, 09:52 PM
:yeahthat: to calling your after hours doctor. Exactly what I was going to say. When in doubt, check it out. Hope it is 'just nothing'.

hillview
04-21-2010, 09:56 PM
I would call.
/hillary

liz
04-21-2010, 10:06 PM
I would definitely call. GL

MamaSnoo
04-21-2010, 10:14 PM
I would call your ped's on call right away, and if you are not able to speak to someone promptly (within 1 hr), I would take him to the ED for evaluation.

Hope it is nothing....but better to be safe!

Mermanaid
04-21-2010, 10:23 PM
So DH and I talked about all the responses. We decided to wake him up to see if it was still the same status. Now, it looks completely normal. UGH! DH says maybe it was just the way he was laying this evening when it looked swollen/dark. We are completely baffled as we both saw it earlier this evening. I will probably check him again in another hour or two just to make sure.

Thank you all for answering so quickly!

ShanaMama
04-21-2010, 11:17 PM
The worry is that he could have a testicular torsion. Uncommon in little boys, more common in boys going through puberty or very young babies. Usually hurts more than what you're describing. BUT if it is a testicular torsion, MINUTES count in terms of saving the testicle. Ideally there is a 6 hour window from the moment it twists (and blood flow to the testicle stops) in which to get to the operating room and save the testicle. If he were my son I would bring him to the ED right now. Testicles are like eyes. They're very important, an he's only got two.

My (teenage) brother had this recently, but as PP mentioned it was agonizing. His doctor did say the window for correcting it was very small, which freaked him out because he's now prone to torsion.
OP- Why not just call your ped and ask them? Please don't take offense to this, but I never understand why people go first to the internet, then to the doctor. I wouldn't run to the ER instantly, but I would call and ask my dr. for guidance. Often the doctor asks questions to clarify the sypmtoms & I find that reassuring. Maybe that's just because I have fabulous peds who are always on call after hours. Even though it seems to have resolved, you're clearly still concerned if you are waking him up. I would just call.

Mermanaid
04-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Please don't take offense to this, but I never understand why people go first to the internet, then to the doctor. I wouldn't run to the ER instantly, but I would call and ask my dr. for guidance.

Not to get into a debate, but I think just because someone has access to healthcare does not mean you have to use it. But that's a bigger health care related issue.

In my book, the members of this board are almost just as good as asking my doctor (or in this case, a triage nurse) questions over the phone. Which I can tell you in my experience, has ALWAYS resulted in the "bring him/her in so we can check it out, just in case" result. Because if they say don't bring them in and something goes wrong ... they are afraid I might sue them, right? So ... while you may get great help from your doctor via phone, I have not been so lucky.

I hope you didn't take what I have said the wrong way. But I just can't see paying for the "after hours triage nurse" call when I can get basically the same info from the very informed ladies and gentlemen on this board.

smiles33
04-22-2010, 12:24 PM
OP: I'm glad to hear it looked normal again when you checked the second time but might still be worth a call. This way, you can be aware of what to look for and how to react if it happens again.

I just can't see paying for the "after hours triage nurse" call when I can get basically the same info from the very informed ladies and gentlemen on this board.

Wow, I didn't realize some practices charge you just for the call! I was going to wholeheartedly agree with ShanaMama re: calling the doctor's office first since googilng can REALLY freak out parents. While I agree that the posters here are incredibly helpful, very few of us are pediatricians so it's really "buyer beware." I'm more than willing to rely on the real-life advice of parents for stroller/car seat/preschool advice, but when it comes to health issues, I go to my ped first. Plus, OP's situation wasn't just a "run-of-the-mill" question like teething/low-grade fever where you're just looking for someone to confirm/verify that your guess is correct.

sariana
04-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Yeah, there are so many differences in the way health care works.

When I was pregnant with DS, we had a $50 charge for using the emergency room, unless it resulted in an admission (i.e. it really was an emergency). At 29 weeks I had some bleeding on a Saturday morning. We attributed it to sex the night before (DH had been away for 2 weeks), but I thought I should call. The OB on call suggested going to the ER. We were hesitant because of the $50 charge, but we could afford it, so we went. Turns out I was in preterm labor. Going to the ER may have got my son 2 1/2 more weeks in the womb. Otherwise he might have been born that day.

But what if we hadn't been able to afford that $50 charge and had deciced not to go to the ER? A 29-week birth (vs. his ultimate 32-week birth) would have cost our insurance a lot more money than an ER visit.

But that's a whole different vent about health care.

OP, I have had the same experience with the on-call nurse. At least 80% of the time they say to come into the office. I agree that they are trying to avoid being sued for missing something.

JBaxter
04-22-2010, 12:53 PM
I have only ever called my peds office once when I was told I didnt have to come in. Now I have 4 kids under my belt and have 3 nurses in the family but I get better information from then vs the dr's office.

The only time was monday when I called to tell them Jack had chicken pox and asked if they wanted to see him to confirm it. They declined and took my word for it.
Different office NEEDED to see Logan and Connor to confirm it ( at $15 copay each)