PDA

View Full Version : Farewell gift for overseas move?

belovedgandp
04-21-2010, 11:34 PM
A mom friend is moving to South Africa for one or two years. It's her, DH, and one daughter. We are planning a going away party and wanted to give them some kind of gift, but are struggling with ideas. They are selling their house and don't need any more stuff to move or store.

Any suggestions?

infomama
04-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Something little but how about some postcards that are stamped with the correct postage for a card mailed from S. Africa to the US?

mommy111
04-22-2010, 02:03 AM
A gift card that does not expire....seriously. I know cards and checks are considered poor gifts, but a gift card is awesome when you are travelling overseas because it allows you to buy stuff that you really need or would like to take with you. Plus when you visit the US, you can use it to buy completely un-needed but wanted things without guilt (Hannas for the kids :) ).

Neatfreak
04-22-2010, 03:37 AM
We live overseas, and really like iTunes gift cards so we can keep up with a couple fave tv programs.

Momit
04-22-2010, 03:54 AM
We also live overseas and really enjoyed the iTunes, Amazon and Shutterfly gift cards we received as going away presents.

elliput
04-22-2010, 09:00 AM
A CG to a restaurant they would go to before they move? Those last couple days before moving are always hectic and if all your stuff is packed up, you have to get fast food or go to a restaurant at least once.

funda62
04-22-2010, 09:25 AM
If you can find one a cookbook of how to cook American foods with South African ingredients. I had one when I lived in Turkey and passed it on when I left. That thing was invaluable. I'll also second the iTunes, Amazon gift cards. A Kindle :wink2: ?

TwinFoxes
04-22-2010, 10:12 AM
A guidebook to their new city, with gift receipt in case they have it already. :) The "Rough Guide" books are good, but maybe there's a family type guide?

macassi
04-22-2010, 10:23 AM
We live overseas and iTunes gift cards are huge. We use iTunes to rent movies and pick up tv shows that we didn't manage to record (we use a TiVo and a Slingbox).

Honestly, gift cards are a hassle for other stores. If you get it right before you move, it's hard to use and you have to bring it with you. Then, you have to remember to take it home when you return and remember to spend it. I have a friend who had a whole stack when she left and it was a full time job for her first "vacation" to use them all.

Our favorite going away gift before moving was from a friend who understood Switzerland/Europe well. She gave us ice cube makers and we use the gift every single day!

Guidebooks would be a great idea. I was too busy to buy one. For our first Christmas, DH got guidebooks for all the surrounding countries we want to visit.

Oh, maps might be helpful too.

Oh, and if you know them well, a wallet. We keep a local wallet and a U.S. wallet -- it simplifies the whole process when we travel.