PDA

View Full Version : Low VOC paint and eco-friendly weed killer

athompson
04-22-2010, 03:04 AM
My husband and I have a huge argument every time either of these subjects come up. I need more compelling evidence that we should be using both low VOC paint and eco-friendly weed killer. Please point me in the right direction and save me from another argument! Thanks!

athompson
04-22-2010, 08:00 AM
I should add, my husband thinks I'm being overzealous and paranoid in my desire to use these two things. He thinks there is just not that much harm in using either "because we don't use that much."

Raidra
04-22-2010, 08:19 AM
We just bought paint, and seeing as I'm pregnant and it was my bedroom we were painting, I said, "Low VOC paint is just a few dollars more.. why *not* spend the money on it?"

Low VOC, hah. My room still stunk for two days, we had to drag our mattress out to the living room and slept there. Maybe it was still good, but I was expecting the actual smell to be less noticeable.

We don't use weed killer, so I can't help you there. Most of our gardens are edible, so I prefer to go the organic route and just mulch and weed by hand. The grass is half clover, but I don't really care. :)

Snow mom
04-22-2010, 09:01 AM
I also weed by hand. I find it scary that the weed killers they sell at Home Depot are heavily regulated in any type of commercial farming, yet you can get a gallon and dump it on your lawn with no regulations. Many of those poisons get into the water supply. I certainly don't need them on my lawn.

PAfirsttimemom
04-22-2010, 09:09 AM
http://www.rodale.com/roundup-weed-killer-more-toxic-originally-believed?page=0%2C0

I also argue with my husband about spreading chemicals on the lawn. In fact, he spread "fertilizer" on our front yard this morning. Our compromise is that the back lawn, which is the largest portion of our property and where the kids play the most, stays chemical free.

daisymommy
04-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Low and no VOC paint costs the same, so why not? We use Olympic Fresh Air at Lowe's. Valspar is also good. I totally believe in not using the regular stuff, but for your husband's sake, hit him with the "costs the same" argument.

As far as the pesticides go, yikes. I have a bunch of good links and studies I can post later today (I need to get in the shower and head out in a minute).
But consider my story:

We never use weed killer or pesticides. Then one day DH gets in a fit about some weeds, and decides to override my decision and use weed killer on the lawn. I was perfectly healthy that day. He sprayed the lawn, while I was inside with the kids with the doors and windows shut. I stayed there all day until he was done. Then came outside to chat with DH for about 15 minutes.

That night DH and I started feeling so sick. By the next morning he felt crummy but I felt like death warmed over. I didn't make the connection. Just thought we both had come down with something. After 4 days I went to the doctor's and was diagnosed with chemical pneumonia. I had to be hospitalized. I was sick for a month. Worst time (illness wise) of my life! The doctors said they had never heard of anyone getting that sick so fast, but assumed it must have been the lawn stuff. Can I tell you how much trouble DH was in ?

Here's a few quickies for ya: (remember that weed killer works the same as a pesticide).
This first one talks about prenatal exposure, but if this can happen to babies in the womb, imagine the rest of us who are already out here breathing in this stuff!
http://ehp03.niehs.nih.gov/article/info:doi/10.1289/ehp.0901582
http://mydandelionisaflower.org/pesticide-facts/
http://www.safe2use.com/ca-ipm/0099-11-16.htm

Gotta run, more later if needed!

vejemom
04-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Our landlord wanted us to spray roundup on the gravel turnaround areas in front of the barn. I told them no way I was doing that. Both of my girls like to pick up stones from that area. I always stop them when they do, but let's face it, you can't watch 2 toddlers every second. And it would only take a second for 18 month old DD to pick one up and put it inhere mouth. Additionally, that area backs up to the horse paddock. I do not need that crap blowing onto the grass and into their water. I told them I would spray vinegar. The property manager was angry at me, but I wasn't backing down.

sewarsh
04-22-2010, 09:51 AM
We painted with low VOC paint in about 90% of our home (DEIFNATELY in the kids rooms). We got our paint at Sherwin Williams and it was definately more about $5 a can, but at the end of the day, why not??? I will tell you that our painters did NOT like the low VOC paint...said it took forever to dry in between coats and that more coats were needed. Just food for thought.

Also, we go with a Natural Lawn Service and, of course, like anything else that's healthier, it costs more. (this drives me insane!). Anyways, this was a no-brainer for me. I did NOT want my kids & dog running around in chemicals and then tracking it into our house. I didn't want chemcials to hit their legs and other body parts if they sat in the yard.

I understand your DH - so much overkill. We grew up with chemicals and are fine. Propoganda...etc, etc. Sounds like you just have to pick your battles with him. Good luck.

o_mom
04-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Our landlord wanted us to spray roundup on the gravel turnaround areas in front of the barn. I told them no way I was doing that. Both of my girls like to pick up stones from that area. I always stop them when they do, but let's face it, you can't watch 2 toddlers every second. And it would only take a second for 18 month old DD to pick one up and put it inhere mouth. Additionally, that area backs up to the horse paddock. I do not need that crap blowing onto the grass and into their water. I told them I would spray vinegar. The property manager was angry at me, but I wasn't backing down.

For a gravel area like that, you can also use a flame-thrower/weed-burner. A friend of ours does this and swears by it. I have no idea what it costs comparatively, but thought I'd put it out there as an option.

athompson
04-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks ladies for all of the help so far. Thanks daisymommy for all of the great links. Yes, I'd more links if you have them. DH (not so D right now) is very much data driven an likes very precise figures...I know as soon as I send "Top Ten Reasons Not to Use Lawn Pesticides" he'll say "37% are not carcinogenic, let's use those" and "how much more for suburban lawns, what is the percentage" blah blah blah. Yes, it's terribly annoying. I hate that we are not on the same page when it comes to these types of things.

We used low VOC paint about 1 1/2 yrs. ago when we moved to this home and the painters we used did not do a very good job-poor prep work etc. I think this is coloring his resistance to use them again. The type we used was much more expensive than regular paint which doesn't help my cause either.

It's almost like he enjoys battling over things like this. I wish I could see what would happen if I just threw in the towel (without having to suffer the health and environmental consequences) and said bring it on. Sure, let's use lots of pesticide! Sure, let's use lots and lots of traditional paint and breathe it in honey! Bring on the toxic health and beauty products! Full fragrance Tide for me please! Chicken nuggets made from chicken parts and hot dogs loaded with nitrates and pig snouts! Oh Yeah! What the heck would he do? He'd have no idea what to do if we agreed about all of things. Well, that will NEVER happen and I'm just tired of the battle:52:

Thanks for reading this far.

m448
04-22-2010, 11:42 AM
we also don't use weedkillers/pesticides and I tell my husband it's as much for his health (he would apply) as well as the rest of us and the dogs. Yes we have weeds and yes they get pulled eventually but I'm not fanatic about it.

boogiemomz
04-22-2010, 01:56 PM
It's almost like he enjoys battling over things like this. I wish I could see what would happen if I just threw in the towel (without having to suffer the health and environmental consequences) and said bring it on. Sure, let's use lots of pesticide! Sure, let's use lots and lots of traditional paint and breathe it in honey! Bring on the toxic health and beauty products! Full fragrance Tide for me please! Chicken nuggets made from chicken parts and hot dogs loaded with nitrates and pig snouts! Oh Yeah! What the heck would he do? He'd have no idea what to do if we agreed about all of things. Well, that will NEVER happen and I'm just tired of the battle:52:

Thanks for reading this far.

oh dear. sometimes i feel this way too... that they're being objectionable just for the sake of being that way. definitely frustrating... (((hugs))) :hug:

vejemom
04-22-2010, 05:59 PM
For a gravel area like that, you can also use a flame-thrower/weed-burner. A friend of ours does this and swears by it. I have no idea what it costs comparatively, but thought I'd put it out there as an option.

Shush! DH must never know about the existence of such a piece of equipment. He buys these fancy power tool gizmos with the intent of using them, but due to his insane work schedule, never gets these types projects done. I'm still waiting on him to chop up some treed that fell during the snowstorm. He's so gung ho about using his new chain saw that he won't let me hire someone to do it. Meanwhile, i've still got a 50 foot section of tree lying in the horse paddock. The kicker is that the section of tree is somehow still alive, and is growing leaves! Looks great, first thing you see when you turn into our driveway...

LBW
04-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Straight vinegar is great for killing weeds. I have some in a spray bottle just for that purpose. It actually works better than the chemical spray my husband bought a few weeks ago.

athompson
04-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Straight vinegar is great for killing weeds. I have some in a spray bottle just for that purpose. It actually works better than the chemical spray my husband bought a few weeks ago.

Does the vinegar also kill the grass around the weed? We have primarily dandelions in the grass.

athompson
04-22-2010, 09:16 PM
oh dear. sometimes i feel this way too... that they're being objectionable just for the sake of being that way. definitely frustrating... (((hugs))) :hug:

Glad to know I'm not the only one. Thanks:)

PAfirsttimemom
04-23-2010, 12:28 AM
Does the vinegar also kill the grass around the weed? We have primarily dandelions in the grass.

I believe it would. I saw the segment below on Monday, and I believe the expert said that the acidic vinegar solution would kill surrounding plants, so it would be best used in an area like a path where weeds are coming up between cracks.

http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/buenavista/regisandkelly/special/gardenweek2010/index.html#

LBW
04-23-2010, 09:27 AM
Vinegar will kill grass. I just spray directly onto the center of the dandelion & that seems to minimize the grass killing.

babybunny
04-23-2010, 01:24 PM
OK- Maybe your DH would open his eyes if he knew that Roundup (a weed killer) is known for causing testicular cancer in rats, etc.
http://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/Roundup-Glyphosate-Factsheet-Cox.htm

I think I will try the vinegar approach. We have some strange weed (looks like fat blades of grass) that pops up each spring in an area that is just mulch....so I will give it a try.

I am a strong believer in using no or low VOC paint. It is my understanding that in some brands, once you add the colorants to the low VOC base paint, you are adding in VOCs, but do your research.

My DH thinks I am fanatical about this, but too bad. VOC paint bothers my allergies and my athsma.

We have used Benjamin Moore Aura paint in 95% of the house. The painters actually prefer it. It is more expensive, but in some cases, you need less coats of this paint in stronger pigments (like a deep red) to get true coverage or so I have heard. Even this smells a bit, but it dries quickly and that smell goes away fast.

writermama
04-23-2010, 01:56 PM

Vinegar is also much, much cheaper than weed killer. It is safe to store in your house around kids unlike traditional herbicides. In addition, it has many other household uses.

neeleymartin
04-23-2010, 08:24 PM

this is what i was going to mention. just read about it. it is not selective however and will kill everything (including grass). the burning method is good too, and a low torch it fun to use, tee hee hee.

AnnieW625
04-23-2010, 09:03 PM
We used Sherwin Williams Harmony paint and while it was low VOC it still smelled a bit, but it wasn't horrible but it smelled about the same as the non voc paint (Dunn Edwards--only available in the Southwest) we used in the rest of our house a couple of years ago. I am honestly happy I didn't spend $58 a gallon on the Benjamin Moore Aura paint that I was also considering because I wasn't 100% sure it would be stink free. DH likes Valspar primer the best; we bought it at Lowe's.

For weeds we weed by hand, but we have a smallish yard.

daisymommy
04-24-2010, 11:12 AM
FYI...the whole VOC thing isn't just about whether or not it stinks (although that is a nice added benefit too). It's more about the toxic chemicals that are VOC's and the fact that you are breathing them in not only while you are painting and the paint is drying but also for weeks afterwards while the toxins are off-gassing from the walls.

So by using low/NO VOC paint you are avoiding some or all of those toxins in your environment (especially important for pregnant women and children).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volatile_organic_compound

"Respiratory, allergic, or immune effects in infants or children are associated with indoor VOCs and other indoor air pollutants.[16] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volatile_organic_compound#cite_note-15)
Some VOCs, such as styrene (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styrene) and limonene (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limonene), can react with nitrogen oxides (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_oxides) or with ozone to produce new oxidation products and secondary aerosols, which can cause sensory irritation symptoms.[17] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volatile_organic_compound#cite_note-16) [18] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volatile_organic_compound#cite_note-17) Unspecified VOCs are important in the creation of smog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photochemical_smog)."