PDA

View Full Version : Recess punishment in kindergarten

KrystalS
04-22-2010, 09:54 AM
My DD told me last night when I put her to bed that she didn't get in trouble at school. I don't recall her ever getting in trouble so I knew something must be up for her to say that. I told her I was happy and proud of her for not getting in trouble and asked her if someone else in class got in trouble. She said well lots of kids were really loud in the lunchroom today so all the kindergarten classes had to walk laps at recess instead of playing!! This has happened before, but never for the entire recess. The last time it happened I asked her teacher about it and she said it was a policy at the school that teachers were allowed to make kids walk laps if they got in trouble. They walk laps instead of sitting out because the teachers aren't allowed to deny them "physical activity" during recess time. DD only gets 1 recess a day, which I think is crazy in itself. So it really makes me mad that they are mass punishing all the kids because some of them could not be controlled in the lunch room, and denying them their 1 free play time of the day.
I'm just wondering if this is a common practice at other schools? I can't imagine that it is because I don't see many parents being okay with this.
DD will only be going to this school for part of next year and I can't wait to get her out of this school. We moved back home while DH is deployed. I can't wait to get out of here and get her in a better school!!

Leeannpk
04-22-2010, 10:14 AM
At my daughters' school the kids lose time off of recess for poor lunchroom behavior, even if it's just one or two tables misbehaving. They might lose 5 or 10 minutes - instead they have to sit quietly at their lunch tables during that time.

I agree, it stinks for the kids who are following the rules.