PDA

View Full Version : Sandra Lee's approach rubs me the wrong way. Is it me?

Fairy
04-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Never watched her before today. It is clear that this show is about saving money. But at such an expense of health! I'm kind of slack jawed. Now, the fish and chips were a good idea, but I thought, man, how about something green with that? But then she moved on to spaghetti and meatballs. The thing that blew me away was the use of 80% lean ground beef. She said it's X much cheaper than ground pork, turkey, chicken, or veal, so always get that. Really? You want to feed your family all that fat, which you didn't have the opportunity to rinse off in any way cuz, well, it's a meatball? Not to mention the fact that you wrapped that meatball around cheese? No mention of healthfulness. even Giada's rich foods are surrounded by discussion of how to be more healthful with veggies. Sandra's show has not a single veggie mentioned here, and the only fruit she's mentioned is the canned peaches in the sauce topping her cheesecake. I've watched semi-homemade before, and I didn't like THAT one, either. this one, tho, really just rubs me the wrong way. Almost preachy, maybe. Is it just me?

boolady
04-22-2010, 02:32 PM
It's not just you. I can't stand her, primarily for that reason. There's hardly an episode that doesn't involve something that comes at the expense of sacrificing your health. Semi-Homemade was the worst-- everything made with a mix with fillers, a creamy canned soup filled with salt, a pre-made this or that. Yuck.

I know there are those who do not care for Giada, but I like her. Yes, she makes rich things sometimes, but for the most part, she uses fresh, simple ingredients. I couldn't even remotely put her in the same category as Sandra Lee.

wencit
04-22-2010, 02:33 PM
It's not just you. Everything Sandra Lee rubs me the wrong way.

The quality of Food Network programming in general has just gone way, way down in recent years. Most of the stuff is almost unwatchable now.

ETA: BTW, if you think Giada has rich foods, you should check out Paula Deen or Ina Garten. They make Giada's stuff look like health food! :tongue5:

catpagmo
04-22-2010, 02:41 PM
I could never get past the matchy-matchy of her apron, kitchen accessories, "table-scape", cocktail colors, napkins, mixing bowls, dish towels, etc.... The few times I watched her show, I always got caught up in wondering who in the world had the time/money to match EVERYTHING in their kitchen to what they were eating that day. I couldn't even tell you what kind of food she makes....

wellyes
04-22-2010, 02:42 PM
I have to think most people who watch SL's show do so for the amusement value. Anthony Bourdain has a long-running joke of being appalled by her - I think it started here: http://blog.ruhlman.com/2007/02/guest_blogging_.html

maestramommy
04-22-2010, 02:43 PM
ETA: BTW, if you think Giada has rich foods, you should check out Paula Deen or Ina Garten. They make Giada's stuff look like health food! :tongue5:

:p Okay, I thought it was just me. I watched one episode of Barefoot Contessa, and my jaw was on the floor as I watched her put together a no doubt delicious but totally fattening entree. I was thinking, how often does one eat like that? Dh walked in on the show, took one look, and said, "she needs a personal trainer." :tongue5: And he is not the sort to make those kinds of remarks.

Fairy, sorry to hijack, but sometimes I feel the same way about Tastefully Simple. I bought a few things, then my eyebrows shot up when I read the ingredients on the back of the packages.

jse107
04-22-2010, 03:02 PM
ITA! Her recipes/"products" are doing nothing to help the obesity epidemic in the US. The sodium content of so many of her things must be outrageous! This is why so few people in the US can cook a real meal...

lmh2402
04-22-2010, 03:06 PM
It's not just you. Everything Sandra Lee rubs me the wrong way

however, i rather :heartbeat: several recipes from ina and giada

and i even have a paula one or two that i like

as long as i'm using fresh ingredients and it isn't calling for lots of butter or frying in oil, i consider it healthy - everything in moderation

emily
04-22-2010, 03:08 PM
I could never get past the matchy-matchy of her apron, kitchen accessories, "table-scape", cocktail colors, napkins, mixing bowls, dish towels, etc.... The few times I watched her show, I always got caught up in wondering who in the world had the time/money to match EVERYTHING in their kitchen to what they were eating that day. I couldn't even tell you what kind of food she makes....

:yeahthat::hysterical:

boolady
04-22-2010, 03:10 PM
however, i rather :heartbeat: several recipes from ina and giada

I love Ina. I have never considered her cooking everyday cooking...more like special occasion cooking, for the most part. I turn to her recipes when we need to bring a dish to someone's house, or I need a good dessert for guests, or some other special occasion. Her meals can be very rich (though she has a great salmon recipe and some others that are healthier) but at least they use real ingredients; therefore, if we're going to indulge, at least we're using fresh, real food.

daisymommy
04-22-2010, 03:10 PM
While I totally agree with you all, after watching a 1 hour special on her life (there wasn't anything else on TV and I was bored :p), now I understand why she is the way she is with her cooking.
She grew up in utter poverty, raising her brothers and sisters herself. They ate whatever they could, and made it taste as good as possible. They made homemade decorations on the cheap for everything in their home (even a paper Christmas tree). I felt really sorry for her.
So now I think her cooking has somehow caught on because it's easy and cheap, but she hasn't caught up with the nutrition of the day and allowed herself to spend more on healthier ingredients (or telling anyone else to do the same for that matter).
Any-who, there you have it in a nut shell :)

boolady
04-22-2010, 03:13 PM
While I totally agree with you all, after watching a 1 hour special on her life (there wasn't anything else on TV and I was bored :p), now I understand why she is the way she is with her cooking.
She grew up in utter poverty, raising her brothers and sisters herself. They ate whatever they could, and made it taste as good as possible. They made homemade decorations on the cheap for everything in their home (even a paper Christmas tree). I felt really sorry for her.
So now I think her cooking has somehow caught on because it's easy and cheap, but she hasn't caught up with the nutrition of the day and allowed herself to spend more on healthier ingredients (or telling anyone else to do the same for that matter).

This is very interesting. I never knew this.

Fairy
04-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Truth be told, I love Giada. Yes, she cooks Italian and she does it yummy, but she uses whole ingredients, substituting where it makes sense, and she makes BROCCOLI! She does salad! Definitely not in the same league with SL, I agree.

Now, Paula Deen? Yeah, that's crazy stuff, but she knows it. I like her alot. She doesn't seem to me to be pretending that her southern food (is there such a thing as diet southern cooking?) is everyday fare or full of antioxidents. She just seems so much more authentic.

Sandra. Yick.

Fairy
04-22-2010, 03:19 PM

Very interesting. Certainly understanding what drives her helps me understand her! Still don't like her approach; it just seems that she can find a way to do things on the cheap without subourning heart attacks on a plate. But I do get her a bit more now, thank you.

kristenk
04-22-2010, 03:42 PM
When I think of Sandra Lee, I can't help think of the Kwanzaa cake she made that was "featured" on cake wrecks. Here's the link: http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2008/12/kwanzaa-will-not-be-spared.html

hellokitty
04-22-2010, 03:43 PM
I can't stand her either. I hate how she basically combines two store bought items, like pound cake and whipped cream and then throws back her hands and acts like she is so clever and says, "that's semi-homemade!" Duh! My 6 yr old could do that! It's like she is the processed food companies dream come true, b/c she basically pushes their products for them. She ALWAYS has to make an alcoholic drink as part of her show too. DH and I are convinced that she got her own show, b/c she is eye candy for the guys and that is the crowd that watches her show.

cottagemom
04-22-2010, 03:50 PM
The author, Jen Lancaster, refers to her as "Drinky McFood Ruiner"! I love that there is some sort of cocktail with every show.

slworld
04-22-2010, 03:56 PM

I saw this show too & was just thinking about posting this. This probably has something to do with her approach on the show.

vejemom
04-22-2010, 04:22 PM
I guess I'm the outlier here, but I like Sandra Lee. My mom gets her magazine and passes it along to me when she's done. I've not looked at her website yet, but supposedly she has light recipes for her weeknight meals feature online.

I just pick the healthiest recipes from the magazine to make. I also make substitutions. Just because she uses 80% ground beef doesn't mean that I have to. I use 93% lean, or ground turkey, for example. I also look for recipes that use the lowest sodium commercial seasoning. I cook for a family of 7, usually with two toddlers under foot, so anything that I can do to cut down on prep time is a Godsend.

infomama
04-22-2010, 04:29 PM
It's not just you. I can't stand her.
:yeahthat:

arivecchi
04-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Have no clue who she is! :ROTFLMAO: I guess I will continue to stay away.

elektra
04-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Have no clue who she is! :ROTFLMAO: I guess I will continue to stay away.

Me neither!
I do know Paula Deen, Giada and Ina though.

I thought of Sandra Dee when I first saw the post actually.

c&j04
04-22-2010, 04:55 PM
I 'll add two more votes from this house. No love for Sandra Lee. But Giada, now that's a different story. LOVE her! I want to move into her kitchen :)

bigpassport
04-22-2010, 06:44 PM
I like Sandra Lee. I have 3 or 4 of her cookbooks. Her concept is semi-homemade (using 70% convenience products and 30% fresh) to give people who think they don't have time to cook ideas of how to cook at home using shortcuts. I give her credit for encouraging people to ty to cook. I don't think all shows on Food Network have to be focused on nutrition. You can certainly make Sandra Lee's recipes healthier, less fat, less sodium, add a vegetable, whatever. Doesn't make her ideas bad.

mamicka
04-22-2010, 06:55 PM

Yup. Don't like her cooking at all but I have the utmost respect for her as a person & what she's done with her life.

You can certainly make Sandra Lee's recipes healthier, less fat, less sodium, add a vegetable, whatever. Doesn't make her ideas bad.

:yeahthat: I've made a few of her recipes & they can be healthy.

That being said, I agree with you, Fairy, & I can't stand watching her show & think her recipes as she makes them are oftentimes disgusting.

Giada? LOVE HER.

Fairy
04-22-2010, 08:13 PM
Ya know, I'm glad Daisy posted the background on her. I've been thinkinga bout it since that post, and it reminded me that I really do usually try to seek to understand. This time i kind of just made a judgment and didn't give much thought to it beyond what I've seen of her shows. Now, I don't like her approach, and the statement to "always get that" about the 80% lean ground beef sort of made me go huh?! But I googled her a bit jyust now, and she really has come from nothing. And there are people out there who don't have a whole foods budget (I do not!), so I have to give her credit there.

That said? Still not an actual fan ;). But I get her now.

mctlaw
04-22-2010, 08:33 PM

A big :yeahthat:.

Sandra Lee's cooking appalls me. Case in point, the Kwaanza cake another poster mentioned, and just about any of her "themes" which require buying curtains, tablecloths, etc. I do get her background and appreciate what she has made herself into from a hardscrabble background. However, if you look beyond the shows produced on her behalf to sell her shows, a lot of people in the business consider her quite ruthless. She married a very wealthy older man who helped her get her show and divorced him after she made a name for herself. She's now with Mario Cuomo's son.

To each his own with cooking, but I don't like the idea of pushing all the processed foods myself.

I do like Giada a lot more myself, but I have to say Sandra and Giada are both of the same school when it comes to showing cleavage!

Ceepa
04-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Ya know, I'm glad Daisy posted the background on her. I've been thinkinga bout it since that post, and it reminded me that I really do usually try to seek to understand. This time i kind of just made a judgment and didn't give much thought to it beyond what I've seen of her shows. Now, I don't like her approach, and the statement to "always get that" about the 80% lean ground beef sort of made me go huh?! But I googled her a bit jyust now, and she really has come from nothing. And there are people out there who don't have a whole foods budget (I do not!), so I have to give her credit there.

Fairy, I respect the heck out of you for being able to step back and evaluate in an objective way. Really. I admit it's something I could work on. ;) I wanted to read a post like this just now, especially on one of these food threads.

DrSally
04-22-2010, 08:49 PM
I've only watched semi-homemade. I felt she used a lot of processed things for short cuts. Although I can appreciate the approach of saving time, I don't really want to dump a packet of soup mix into my casserole (or whatever). I did enjoy some of her creative presentations of food for kids, although I thought her tablescapes were tacky. And, having to have a coctail during every episode wasn't my cup of tea. I do think she's very pretty.

DrSally
04-22-2010, 08:52 PM

I've heard this too. She doesn't have children, does she? I wondered if it was b/c she had already been a mom to her sibs.

Fairy
04-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Fairy, I respect the heck out of you for being able to step back and evaluate in an objective way. Really. I admit it's something I could work on. ;) I wanted to read a post like this just now, especially on one of these food threads.

Thanks, Ceepa. I've added to the misery with yet another food thread just a minute ago, I'm sorry :sulkoff: I'm a bit in the doldrums over it all, so this was nice to read.

MMMommy
04-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Sandra Lee's dishes aren't the healthiest or low calorie by any means. I don't watch her show regularly, but catch it once in a while. I don't have a problem with her cooking show only b/c it isn't titled "Healthy Cooking With Sandra Lee" and isn't trying to be healthy or nutritious.

I remember watching a Food Network biography show on her, and she commented on how she initially got a lot of criticism for taking shortcuts and using pre-made/prepared/processed items in her Semi-Homemade Cooking show. And she said (in not these exact words) how criticism like that is an attack on all the busy moms and working women who have a lot on their plate (busy schedules, work, children) and do the best they can with the time and resources they have. She seemed to say that sometimes, you just do what you can with what you have. She had a tough childhood, so she is in survivor mode.

Carrots
04-22-2010, 09:41 PM

:yeahthat: Especially her boobs. Does she even wear a bra? Not to sound crazy, but I have seen semi-homemade a few times but I always miss 1/2 the show because I watch her breasts trying to figure out if she has a bra on.
Forgive me. I am in a crude mood tonight.

alexsmommy
04-24-2010, 08:57 PM

Very late to this, but
I'm glad you came back and posted this. I was going to point out that this board skews WAY high for education and income. I think most people surround themselves with people socially who have similar income and education, so what most of us here think is normal is probably not so typical. So, I get where she fits in and she probably gets people with lower incomes to try things they might not have otherwise, and is probably in tune with what they are really going to make. I love many of the cooks on food network, but a lot of their recipes say things like, "I really suggest you use pamesan reggiano, it's so much better..." Which I agree with - it does taste way better, but it's really expensive. Fresh out of season veggies are expensive etc.
Now having said that, I can't stand watching her - she just rubs me the wrong way...but I am glad foodnetwork has a show that has recipes that people without a lot of income or access to specialty ingredients can use, or are within reason for a single working mother.
This is also why I love thepioneerwoman.com (Ree Drummond) recipes. She states pretty openly she used to be a "foodie" but moved to the middle of nowhere and has limited ingredient availability at her grocery store. Her recipes are delicious and don't require a trip to Whole Foods to make them that way.

On another note, I love Ina, who is often all about expensive ingredients, but I do love her!

kijip
04-24-2010, 11:58 PM
When I think of Sandra Lee, I can't help think of the Kwanzaa cake she made that was "featured" on cake wrecks. Here's the link: http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2008/12/kwanzaa-will-not-be-spared.html

ROFL. That is one nasty looking cake. Cornuts? Canned Apple Pie Filling? Together?

wellyes
04-25-2010, 08:42 AM
Now having said that, I can't stand watching her - she just rubs me the wrong way...but I am glad foodnetwork has a show that has recipes that people without a lot of income or access to specialty ingredients can use, or are within reason for a single working mother.

I dunno, Rachel Ray managed to make an endless variety of 'normal ingredients / home kitchen technique' meals without resorting to cholesterol-busting sodium-laden recipes. I was never a Rachel Ray fan but whenever I saw her show she was making something like hot dogs or mashed potatoes.

I don't think everyone on Food Network should be 'aspirational'. I particularly roll my eyes at the food porn camerawork of Ina "my husband is out in the garden snipping fresh mint to compliment this leg of lamb" Garten's show. But I think Sandra Lee's show is just too silly.

And she said (in not these exact words) how criticism like that is an attack on all the busy moms and working women who have a lot on their plate (busy schedules, work, children) and do the best they can with the time and resources they have. She seemed to say that sometimes, you just do what you can with what you have. She had a tough childhood, so she is in survivor mode.

Was in survivior mode, she's doing well now. And good for her. I also read she is dating Andrew Cuomo so is on the red carpet in the political world as well. I do think it's a bit of a cop-out to say criticism against her is criticism against working moms. A lot of people do open a can to feed their families sometimes, including me, that's no crime. But it doesn't make it good food, either.

viba424
04-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Sorry but in my opinion, she is the antethesis of everyting that has to do with real cooking. I couldnt believe my eyes when she gutted a probably $15 store bought pie just to use the filling for dessert cups. Then she has a show about saving money? I have no respect for that woman. Also, her color coordinating food/outfit/kitchen schtick makes me want to puke. Thats the problem with the Food Network though. Its never about technique. What about a brief lesson in knife skills, or learning more about ingredients. its not just Sandra Lee - every "personality" on there has gotta have a schtick....and their own line of cookware.

Ill take cooking shows on PBS anyday.

hellokitty
04-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Sorry but in my opinion, she is the antethesis of everyting that has to do with real cooking. I couldnt believe my eyes when she gutted a probably $15 store bought pie just to use the filling for dessert cups. Then she has a show about saving money? I have no respect for that woman. Also, her color coordinating food/outfit/kitchen schtick makes me want to puke. Thats the problem with the Food Network though. Its never about technique. What about a brief lesson in knife skills, or learning more about ingredients. its not just Sandra Lee - every "personality" on there has gotta have a schtick....and their own line of cookware.

Ill take cooking shows on PBS anyday.

I agree, Food TV is a joke now. A lot of the chefs that I really liked have gone to other networks.

DebbieJ
04-25-2010, 11:36 AM

The quality of Food Network programming in general has just gone way, way down in recent years. Most of the stuff is almost unwatchable now.

:yeahthat: I used to LOVE Food Network. I watched Sara Moulton every day at 4 p.m. Loved her! I can't stand to watch most FN programs now except Iron Chef and Dinner Impossible. Most HGTV and TLC programs are trash now, too.

Fairy
04-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Thing is I'm only just now getting into some of the Food TV shows. I do like PBS cooking shows, too, but I'm really paying attn now. I do love Giada, and I've made two of her recipes successfully, so for me, that's a big deal. Will scout around other shows, I suppose.

DebbieJ
04-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Fairy, Sara Moulton is on PBS now. I think it's worth it to seek her out.

MartiesMom2B
04-25-2010, 02:42 PM

This is hilarious. Sandra Lee is pretty good on the unintentional funny scale. I wouldn't dare eat any of the bleep that she makes though.

viba424
04-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Is that for real? That is too stinkin funny!! Did you see those are corn nuts? With cinnamon icing?? Bull gahhh!

KBecks
04-25-2010, 04:52 PM
I've never seen it. I don't rinse my ground beef, do you mean draining it?

Personally, I'm OK with using lean ground beef sometimes, and fat in moderation is totally OK in my book too.... I guess I'm a moderate and not grossed out easily by just regular homey food, heck, I eat a lot of it!!

MamaMolly
04-25-2010, 05:07 PM
I love that there is some sort of cocktail with every show.

Did anyone see the episode where she was cooking with kids? It blew my mind that she made a 'cocktail' for kids. Ick, inappropriate. Call it a smoothie, a milkshake, a something-but-not-cocktail if you are serving it to kids.

WatchingThemGrow
04-25-2010, 05:14 PM
:yeahthat: Especially her boobs. Does she even wear a bra? Not to sound crazy, but I have seen semi-homemade a few times but I always miss 1/2 the show because I watch her breasts trying to figure out if she has a bra on.
Forgive me. I am in a crude mood tonight.
Glad someone said it. I just thought she had an extra-long neck/shoulders/chest.

1964pandora
04-25-2010, 08:31 PM
I have to think most people who watch SL's show do so for the amusement value. Anthony Bourdain has a long-running joke of being appalled by her - I think it started here: http://blog.ruhlman.com/2007/02/guest_blogging_.html

Thanks for posting this. He is sooo right on. Love him.